PDA

View Full Version : FM8 setup advice for use in 'Music' and 'Home Theater'

Brewster
02-05-2017, 03:42 AM
I just ordered a pair of 'FM8's to use with Magnepan 1.7i's -since I listen to more music than movies and the FM8's are so flexible! I was going to place them '1/4 distance front wall'-since from what I read that anything played over crossover setting of '120' would become directional- just like a regular speaker is. I read the 'initial setup sticky post'- and see that I would turn the crossover to maximum- which on the FM8's would be '200'; and then run my pre-amp's Audyssey setup. After set-up - if I left them set at say '120' would that mean they will play any signal that is '120 or lower'- in other words they would not get a signal until my speakers reached their crossover point that is set up on my pre-amp?

Also- once set up and placed- is just a matter of switching them to 'Low H/T Bass extension' and '12db Slope' on back of subs when they were being used for movies?

Thanks!

sludgeogre
02-05-2017, 10:32 AM
If you are using Audyssey, then you want to keep the crossover knob set at max, or 200 Hz in this case. It just makes sure that there is only one filter being applied with one slope instead of the one in your receiver and the ones in the subs fighting each other. Only use Audyssey or the knob to control, never both.

If you set either of them to 120, your sub will play up to 120 and your speakers will either play everything or will start at 120 and play up from there if they are set to "small" in your receiver. If they are set to "Large" they will play everything. I'd probably set them to small first and try large and see which one you prefer. I run my Sierra Towers as Large.

You don't need to change the extension or the slope for movies. You should be able to find a setting that works for both music and movies. If anything you can change the extension but there shouldn't be a need to change the slope.

mikesiskav
02-05-2017, 12:18 PM
Sludgeogre, I'm curious to know where you have your crossover set for your subwoofer. Since you're running your towers full range, I would imagine it's pretty low, around 40hz.

sludgeogre
02-05-2017, 08:30 PM
Sludgeogre, I'm curious to know where you have your crossover set for your subwoofer. Since you're running your towers full range, I would imagine it's pretty low, around 40hz.

I am using Dirac Live and I just set it wherever the tool decided to do it. It's a rather complex filter but I think it goes up to 100 Hz but with a really long rolloff. Dirac is magical.

mikesiskav
02-05-2017, 10:56 PM
I am using Dirac Live and I just set it wherever the tool decided to do it. It's a rather complex filter but I think it goes up to 100 Hz but with a really long rolloff. Dirac is magical.

I was actually referring to the crossover on the sub itself. I also have the XMC-1 and I love it. I'd recommend exploring the settings a bit. If I set my fronts to large, the crossover option is disabled. That means the bass from the main left and right channels will only be sent to the front speakers and not the sub. The only bass your sub will play is the LFE channel from movies. That is unless your turn on "enhanced bass." Turning this option on will then send bass to both your speakers and your subs. Although, this will probably make the bass sound a little overbearing. Also, unlike Audyssey, Dirac makes no decision on where to set a crossover for speakers that are configured as small. Instead, Dirac simply does a full range EQ of all channels and leaves it up to the user to decide which speakers to set as small and which crossover to use.

I know you said you love the way your system sounds right now, and I'm not trying to throw a wrench into your setup. I've probably spent close to 50 hours playing around with Dirac on my XMC-1, so I thought I'd share my experience with it.

Brewster
02-06-2017, 03:28 AM
Thanks all for info. I have not set up a system in good while- my Audyssey is early version (NAD T-175) from 2007. It makes sense to make any changes or tweaks from the processor and just leave sub settings at initial setup settings. I would love to get a new processor this year like a Marantz AV8802 or another NAD- I know the Marantz has 'Audyssey Bass' EQ. I will report back when I get things setup.

sludgeogre
02-06-2017, 07:15 AM
I was actually referring to the crossover on the sub itself. I also have the XMC-1 and I love it. I'd recommend exploring the settings a bit. If I set my fronts to large, the crossover option is disabled. That means the bass from the main left and right channels will only be sent to the front speakers and not the sub. The only bass your sub will play is the LFE channel from movies. That is unless your turn on "enhanced bass." Turning this option on will then send bass to both your speakers and your subs. Although, this will probably make the bass sound a little overbearing. Also, unlike Audyssey, Dirac makes no decision on where to set a crossover for speakers that are configured as small. Instead, Dirac simply does a full range EQ of all channels and leaves it up to the user to decide which speakers to set as small and which crossover to use.

I know you said you love the way your system sounds right now, and I'm not trying to throw a wrench into your setup. I've probably spent close to 50 hours playing around with Dirac on my XMC-1, so I thought I'd share my experience with it.

Gotcha, sorry I misunderstood. I'm definitely just getting started on exploring all of the options. I do have enchanced bass turned on with my speakers set to large, but I've just recently been toying with it. I haven't even touched the target curves yet. When I didn't have enhanced bass I still noticed quite a bit of activity from the subs, but I don't remember there being a LFE+Main option like in Audyssey, so I definitely need to tinker with my settings and see what I did, lol. It just sounds so great from the default settings and curves it's hard to find the time to tinker more, I rented 8 movies from redbox in the last week =D

I'll probably start a new thread here to discuss Dirac results just for Sierra systems. I've been wanting to post my before/after graphs and see what other people have/are doing, etc.

Brewster
02-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Just started looking at new Processors- and Emotiva just made announcement on their new RMC-1 at CES: 'A definite candidate'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1z3j8ov2rE

Brewster
03-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Just finished setting up with the Magnepan 1.7is - and the FM8's blend in as I hoped- probably even better after everything 'breaks in'. I have the Magnepans 30 inches out from backwall with tweeters inboard and angled in- and the FM8s inboard of each one. Audyssey set the Magnepans as 'small' with crossover @ 60 hz.