PDA

View Full Version : Ed Mullen's SVS PB-10 review is up at Secrets

GaryB
10-09-2004, 06:42 AM
I'm very interested to see this review since I pre-ordered a PB10-ISD on Sept. 15, although frankly, I have no reason to disbelieve SVS's claims. They're always backed up. [:)]

bikeman
10-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Ed backs up all of SVS's claims. He adds some details on the speaker itself, the enclosure and some small but very nice details on build quality and the amp. As with Ed's other reviews of SVS subs, there weren't any negatives.
As Hsu himself has said, it's all about trade-offs. SVS is trading pretty well these days.

David

sensibull
10-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Hi David,

I already have an order in for the PB-10, but I've really overextended myself lately, financially speaking, and now I'm having buyer's remorse, wondering if I could get away with the Dayton 10" (SVS will let you cancel orders before the ship date). If I remember correctly, you have the Dayton and like it, but have said it is not "musical." Can you explain what you mean by that? Given the fact that I've only ever had a POS Cambridge Soundworks passive sub, I'm wondering if such distinctions would be beyond me.

bikeman
10-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Lots of people use the Dayton 10" for music. It's not accurate enough for my tastes but accuracy isn't everything. When I upgrade to the SVS or a Hsu, I'm going to try the Dayton in my study to see if it will work with my two channel set-up in a much smaller room. Maybe I'll have a different opinion in a different environment.
I highly recommend the Dayton if price would otherwise keep you from having a decent HT sub. I've heard the 8" CSW passive sub. The Dayton is a definite step up from that.

David

sensibull
10-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks much for your candid reply, David. As much as I hate to do it, I'm going to cancel my order with SVS and get the Dayton. I'm just now coming out of a two-month-long upgrade fugue (new receiver, new speakers, new HDTV), as the credit card bills begin to pour in [:0] I may end up needing the variable crossover anyway...

GaryB
10-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Well, the review is back up now and it certainly warms the cockles of this pre-orderer's heart! [:D]