PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Looking to Audition Sierra Towers with Raal in Nashville

vikspeed
04-21-2016, 10:22 PM
Hi, everyone.

I'm new to the forum, though I've emailed back and forth with Dave a bit. I am considering ordering the Ascend Sierra Towers with Raal tweeters with a Horizon Center with Raal. However, I'd really love to audition at least the towers if anyone has some available in the middle Tennessee area, particularly Nashville and its surrounding cities. Before reading about the Ascends, I had pretty much decided to go with the Revel F208s. However, with all I've learned, I'd really like to hear the Sierra Towers with Raal first.

I will be using for 80% HT/ 20% Music, and I like the idea of being able to hear dialogue at low volumes.

Thanks.

Wanger 714
04-22-2016, 09:07 AM
You might try Cincymat .. I don't know how much he visits this forum anymore, but he lives in cincinnati and has towers and a horizon .

vikspeed
04-22-2016, 05:17 PM
You might try Cincymat .. I don't know how much he visits this forum anymore, but he lives in cincinnati and has towers and a horizon .

Thanks, Wanger. I may look into contacting Cincymat, though it is a bit farther than I'd really like.

Sbrom
04-23-2016, 11:44 AM
I'm in Lexington, a bit closer than Cincinnati. Towers w/RAAL and Sierra 2 center.

vikspeed
04-23-2016, 05:04 PM
I'm in Lexington, a bit closer than Cincinnati. Towers w/RAAL and Sierra 2 center.

Sbrom, I may reach out to you if I don't hear from anyone closer. I might could do a 3 hour drive. How do you like the ribbon tweeter? Have you had any other speakers? I currently have Polk TSi400s with a CS20 center and hate having to turn them up for dialogue only to have the movie track explode on me. I have been offered a really good deal on the Revel 208s, which have aluminum tweeters by comparison.

Sbrom
04-23-2016, 05:33 PM
I auditioned Revels. They are very good. I think the Ascends are better. To my ears the RAAL tweeters are crystal clear. Overall the balance of the Ascend towers is even, dynamic, and accurate. I had a pair of Snell EIII's which were nice but not near as dynamic and transparent by direct comparison. During my eval process I also auditioned B&W & Martin Logan's of similar cost, in local shops.

I purchased the Ascend towers based on Internet reviews and to a large extent the member comments on this very forum. NO REGRETS.

Regarding dialogue, the center speaker is most important. I find the Sierra-2 is clear without need for gain adjustments during the show.

If you want to have a listen, send a PM and we can work out the logistics.