PDA

View Full Version : What would I have to get sub wise with a Sierra 2

loopy
02-13-2016, 05:28 AM
I was looking at getting CMT 340's l/f/c plus a pair of CMB 170 and 2 LVr-12 subs.

For what that cost I can get 3 Sierra 2's.
The potential problem I see is that I only have a PB-2000 sub.
The PB 2000 is not a bad sub but I bought this with no experience in audio equipment.:(
My room is 20 x 25 with 8 foot ceilings.

This is a large room I was able to make the sub work fine with the Andrew Jones speakers but if I upgrade to the Sierra 2 's I am afraid that I wont be able to get the crossover point that I need to run book shelf's.

I don't want base that shakes the windows or rattle my teeth I just want to be sure if I go with the Sierra 2 's instead of the 340's that the sierra 2 will not suffer in sound quality or make not have the base I need to make them sound like they should.

If i need a better sub then I will have to stick with the 340's and the two LVR 12's the cost of the Sierra 2 's leave me no room to buy a sub at the same time.
Maybe next year my bonus will let me get a FV15hp but just can not do it at the same time.:(
I could get a mini dsp to make the curve on the PB-2000 the best it can get though I already have the mike for it

Blutarsky
02-13-2016, 08:45 AM
SVS has a subwoofer selection tool called Merlin. According to this, they recommend one of their larger subs for the 340's. http://www.svsound.com/pages/merlin

Still, your existing PB2000 might work fine if you set your receiver crossover at 80Hz. Try this first to see how you like it. A system with 340's is far better than most people have.

B.

Blutarsky
02-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Maybe buy another PB 2000? Two subs are always better than one and might be easier to place in your room than a larger single sub. Plus might be cheaper.
B.

curtis
02-13-2016, 11:05 AM
This is a large room I was able to make the sub work fine with the Andrew Jones speakers but if I upgrade to the Sierra 2 's I am afraid that I wont be able to get the crossover point that I need to run book shelf's.

What crossover point do you "need", and why don't think you will be able to get it?

Crk140
08-16-2019, 07:08 PM
I run a bk xxls400. I dont want for anything and am more than happy with the sub. Its a 12 inch English made sub. Real wood cabinet. Love it

racrawford65
08-18-2019, 02:52 AM
What crossover point do you "need", and why don't think you will be able to get it?

Good questions for the OP.

Without knowing what & why, difficult to make recommendations -- although Blutarsky's suggestions above are pretty good. I'd further by saying a system with S2's (or the new EX's) for the front 3 would be superb. You could always add a new sub (or second SVS) and surrounds later.

jimb
08-19-2019, 09:09 AM
The OP was 2.5 years ago...