PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw Monoblocks

Lou-the-dog
09-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Eddie,

I would highly suggest that you have those M-blocks sent up to me for "safe-keeping" while you are out of town. I promise to forward them to you when I'm done "babysitting" them!

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the M-200's.

Randy

samandnoah
09-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Eddie--

I'm new to this forum, but been a hobbiest for a while. The Outlaw M200s are awesome. I had separates for a while (before a remodel that led to an integrated solution) with 3 of these across the front. They will make you very, very happy. I used these with a B&K Ref30 and some Axiom speakers. Pure heaven.

Even though I'm not currently using them, rather than selling them on Audiogon, I've kept mine for either a future set-up, or to let my boys fight over them when I'm long gone! [;)]

Enjoy!

Rich

Eddie Horton
09-28-2004, 03:50 AM
Glad to hear that, Rich. This will be my first experience with separate amps, so it's nice to hear from folks with first hand knowledge.

P.S. Randy, Not a chance. [:D]

Eddie Horton
09-30-2004, 09:02 PM
Update: They shipped Thursday morning, but it's a long trip to Alabama. Hope they make it here before we leave Tuesday, otherwise I'll have to get someone to come over and wait for them. We won't be home till the following Wednesday. Man, I get anxious when waiting on new gear.

Eddie Horton
10-01-2004, 07:23 AM
They're here!!! That was a quick trip from MA to AL, but I'm certainly happy. First thing....they're bigger than I expected. These are some beefy amps. Don't have them hooked up and calibrated yet, cause' we're just plain busy getting ready for our Hawaii trip next week, but I certainly will post the moment they're up and running.

curtis
10-01-2004, 07:28 AM
You are going to Hawaii and leaving the amps by themselves? Where do you live? [:)]

-curtis

Eddie Horton
10-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Birmingham, Alabama. I hooked them up, and right off the bat I had a nasty ground loop hum. A quick check revealed it was from the digital cable. Made a trip to Rat Shack for a 75 to 300 ohm and a 300 to 75 ohm converter, wired them together, and problem solved. Haven't recalibrated my levels yet, but did run them watching movies for a couple of hours at pretty good levels while we were getting stuff together for the trip. Didn't even get warm!! Tomorrow, I'll calibrate and then put them through their paces with some DVD's and DVD-A's. Can't wait.

Eddie Horton
10-02-2004, 04:24 AM
They're keepers. At high volumes/extended viewing times, my Yamaha receiver would get very, very hot. These amps have taken a large load off of it, and as of right now, they've been running non stop for about 4 hours listening to DVD-A's and SACD's and they're not even barely warm. I'll order another one when we get home. Eventually, a stack of 7 of these would be nice, as spending 300 bucks every couple of months beats shelling out a couple of grand all at once.

- EVH III

Lou-the-dog
10-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Eddie,

Have you noticed any significant sonic differences comparing these to your Yamaha?

Not sure when you're heading out to Hawaii but I wish you a safe and enjoyable trip!

Randy

PS You might want to hide those M200's while your gone...just in case Curtis is in the area!

Eddie Horton
10-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Haven't noticed any yet, but I haven't really cranked them up as of now due to getting ready and having some of Gina's (the wife) family over. At moderate volumes it would probably be hard for me to notice, as I don't have "golden ears", but at higher volumes like -10 ref, I'm looking forward to seeing if I can tell. The sound of my Yamaha receiver has never left me disappointed, so if the sound doesn't change at all it wouldn't bother me. The extra headroom and the ability to handle transients while taking the load off the receiver was my main goal with these. Plus, I'm from the camp that believes speakers and room acoustics play a much larger role than receivers and amps ever could. It may be that ignorance is bliss, but that's just where I'm at. Thanks for the well wishes Randy, and don't worry....they'll be well protected while we're gone.

- EVH III