PDA

View Full Version : VPI Turntable

racrawford65
01-05-2016, 12:54 PM
I'm considering upgrading my turntable (currently a Denon DP-47F) to a VPI -- looking at the Traveler or Scout Jr. Any one have any experience/recommendation for one over the other?

Music is primarily rock (heavy metal to progressive).

thanks for the inputs.

steelbolz
02-13-2016, 05:48 PM
I'm also interested in hearing what others have to say in response to your post because I'm planning on getting a turntable. While I'm not limiting myself to a particular brand, I would like to keep my expenditure below $600 since this will be my first foray in the world of turntables and don't know what the future holds for me in this regard.

doctors11
02-14-2016, 10:06 AM
I'm also interested in hearing what others have to say in response to your post because I'm planning on getting a turntable. While I'm not limiting myself to a particular brand, I would like to keep my expenditure below $600 since this will be my first foray in the world of turntables and don't know what the future holds for me in this regard.

I was in the exact same situation a few months ago. Long story short I ended up going with the Music Hall mmf 2.3 in red from Needle Doctor. It sells for $549. I also bought the Parks Audio Budgie phono preamp (tube). At first the sound was a little muddled but the last few times I used it it's opened up beautifully. Let us know what you decide.

steelbolz
02-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. I've considered Music Hall, Project and Rega but I'm hoping there is something else out there. better and going for less than $ 600.

doctors11
02-20-2016, 05:17 AM
First of all apologies to the op for the derail. I could afford to buy a turntable in the range you're considering, and I'll be envious when you take delivery, but that would mean putting off purchasing a new pair of speakers later this year, hopefully Sierra 1's.

In the $600 range the only other ones I've read about are the lower Thorens which don't have great reviews, and the Pioneer PLX-1000 which, although marketed as a DJ table, has some great audiophile reviews. All the rest are Chinese made (Hanpin), some of which have pretty good reviews. (Denon, Teac etc). Looking forward to your elimination process and final decision. (I just noticed that Pioneer is also a Hanpin...)

racrawford65
02-28-2016, 06:45 AM
thanks, but no need to apologize for the derail :-). I've still not decided what table to get. Have a business trip to NJ in a few weeks and hoping to get to VPI for a demo.

doctors11
03-01-2016, 09:23 AM
That should be fun. Bringing your favorite albums to demo?

doctors11
04-13-2016, 05:12 AM
Did you ever make it to VPI?

sludgeogre
04-13-2016, 10:02 AM
I know this isn't quite in the league of VPI, but I think U Turn Audio is a wonderful alternative to companies like Rega, ProJect, and Music Hall. Their tables are built in Boston and are very utilitarian, similar to the ProJect tables, but not as much of a hassle. You don't have to take the damn thing apart to change the record speed and they don't use fishing line as a connection for counter-weights (something I've heard about Rega and Music Hall tables).

If you customize the table in their shop with an acrylic platter, Grado Blue1 cartridge, and cue, it's $399. Very reasonable. I have a couple of friends with the basic table and it absolutely destroys every other budget table any of us have heard. It sounds like it costs a lot more than it actually does. I think they are the biggest value in the vinyl world right now.

www.uturnaudio.com

racrawford65
07-04-2016, 05:46 AM
Just an update - haven't been on the board recently as been doing a lot of travel for work.

Sludgeogre - did look at the Orbits, but didn't think they were an upgrade to my Denon. That said, if I didn't have a turntable, the Orbit would have been high on my list as an entry level table. Agree with your comments above on the value for the $.

Doctors11 - sent you a PM. Anyways, haven't made it to VPI yet. One of these trips to NJ (I go there a couple times a year).

racrawford65
11-18-2016, 12:40 PM
Just an update - haven't made it to VPI yet, but did wind up buying a Classic 1 a few months ago. Recently upgraded phono stage from a Musical Fidelity V90LPS (nice entry level preamp) to a Manley Chinook

sludgeogre
11-18-2016, 01:46 PM
Just an update - haven't made it to VPI yet, but did wind up buying a Classic 1 a few months ago. Recently upgrade phono stage from a Musical Fidelity V90LPS (nice entry level preamp) to a Manley Chinook

How do you like the Classic 1?

racrawford65
11-18-2016, 07:09 PM
I really like it. Definitely prefer the looks of the Classic series to the Prime. Too bad VPI is going to discontinue the Classic series.
Set-up wasn't too difficult.
Excellent speed stability and isolation.
No issues handling the unipivot tonearm.

Curious to hear the 3d arm -- may have to pick one up in the future (or, trade-up to the Classic Signature if I see one at a good price!)

racrawford65
05-29-2017, 06:03 AM
Towards the end of last year, I added the Phoenix Engineering Eagle PSU and Roadrunner Tach (purchased as Phoenix was closing down so would no longer be available). Whether or not the Classic needed is debatable, but like to monitor the speed (generally +/- 0.004, which is essentially within the accuracy of the tach, I believe).

Recently, I rearranged my media room. When turning up to around -14 on my MRX510, would start to get feedback in my turntable. So, I added a Symposium Segue Iso vibration platform. Highly recommended. Improved sound, plus eliminated the feedback problem (at least when cranking to +1)

doctors11
05-29-2017, 06:22 AM
Glad you're enjoying your new system. What kind of music do you listen to most? I don't know a thing about classical but find myself more often than not grabbing a multi channel symphony on sacd and thoroughly enjoying the sound.

racrawford65
05-29-2017, 06:50 AM
Mostly, I listen to rock -- metal, hard, classic, southern, progressive. Favorite bands include Sabbath, Metallica, Marillion, Pink Floyd, etc.

Also listen to Jazz and Classical. Can't stand country, rap, or disco.

doctors11
05-29-2017, 07:22 AM
Yeah I picked up a used copy on Amazon of Queen's Night at the Opera on DVD-A 5.1 surround. Holy crap that sounds good!

sludgeogre
05-31-2017, 07:24 PM
Mostly, I listen to rock -- metal, hard, classic, southern, progressive. Favorite bands include Sabbath, Metallica, Marillion, Pink Floyd, etc.

Also listen to Jazz and Classical. Can't stand country, rap, or disco.

I would absolutely love to hear some Sabbath on a rig like yours, that must be insane. I'd also love to hear some Vader, Opeth, Suffocation, and other death metal bands on there, but hey =)

Sounds like you made some great additions to your rig as well. I am jealous for sure.

racrawford65
06-01-2017, 04:39 PM
Thanks, Alex --

Sabbath kicks for sure -- I've got most of their albums on vinyl -- all the Ozzy (except for 13, which I have on CD but haven't gotten the LP yet) & Dio stuff - plus several of the later - all original pressings. Did also buy the 3 2 LP deluxe editions (1st three albums) which are really good.

I'll have to check out some of those death metal bands --- or, if you're ever in Houston, bring them over :-)