PDA

View Full Version : FM8 subwoofer

rsmt2000
12-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Hi Dave and others. Just wondering what everyone thinks about the FM8 subwoofer from Rythmik. It is touted as a mid bass module but I plan to use it as a sub ( actually 2 of them)temporarily strictly for music in my challenged family room and covert it to a mid bass module when I move to a larger home.

Thanks

MusicHead
12-02-2015, 08:10 PM
I have an L12, not a FM8, however I see in the specification that is capable of 20Hz @ -3dB, which is quite good for a 8" sub.

The Frequency Response curve looks alto decently flat and typical for a Rythmik sealed sub.

The FM8 can be used as a midbass driver, with its highpass filter set to 50Hz, but it certainly is a subwoofer in its own rights.

N Boros
12-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Just wondering what everyone thinks about the FM8 subwoofer from Rythmik. It is touted as a mid bass module but I plan to use it as a sub ( actually 2 of them)temporarily strictly for music in my challenged family room and covert it to a mid bass module when I move to a larger home.

Thanks

Is the FM8 the same as the F8? The F8 doesn't seem to be described as a midbass module, but was designed for a sealed sub with a smaller footprint and having better transient response if crossing over higher than 120Hz.

What I had in mind for this description is maybe audiophiles with electrostatics, for example that need the higher crossover.

Blutarsky
12-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Rythmik lists the FM8 as a midbass module.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FM8.html

MusicHead
12-03-2015, 09:57 AM
No, sorry, they don't :)

From the header on the page which link you posted:

Direct Servo bass and midbass subwoofer
Sealed audiophile sub with dual 8" drivers with selectable 50hz HPF

And if you read the description they explain that it is a sub with an added High Pass Filter that allows to use it as a midbass if you want to, but not only as such (the italic bold is mine, to emphasize the key definitions):

The subwoofer for audiophiles with the need to play up to upper bass

For audiophiles looking for uncompromising accuracy in both bass and upper bass frequency range and higher crossover frequency up to 250hz, our F8 subwoofer is the ultimate choice. It features two light cone weight 8" drivers with our Direct Servo technology to ensure accuracy and definition. FM8 is a variant of F8 subwoofer with a slightly different extension filter arrangement. The Low-music and Low-HT positions on the extension filter allows FM8 to be used as a regular subwoofer. The "high" position implements a 4th LR filter to allow FM8 only play down to 50hz and crossover to low bass subwoofer unit at 50hz (for instance, the 50hz/24 setting of our larger subwoofers). For upper end extension, this sub is designed to effortlessly play up to 250hz . Customers should note signals above 80hz can be localized and therefore placement is important if FM8 is used above 80hz. While there are already many subwoofers on the market which can play deep bass, their sound quality and transient response degrade as the frequency goes up above 120hz. FM8, when used as a subwoofer, can cover more than a decade of frequency range of servo control from below 20hz to 250hz.

N Boros
12-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Rythmik lists the FM8 as a midbass module.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FM8.html

This is kind of hidden. When you go to Rythmik's main page and click through complete subwoofers the FM8 doesn't come up at all. Maybe it is new and they haven't updated the website yet.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products1.html

Blutarsky
12-03-2015, 03:11 PM
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html

Touch the cursor arrow to subwoofers at the top of this page to find the unicorn.

davef
12-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Hi Dave and others. Just wondering what everyone thinks about the FM8 subwoofer from Rythmik. It is touted as a mid bass module but I plan to use it as a sub ( actually 2 of them)temporarily strictly for music in my challenged family room and covert it to a mid bass module when I move to a larger home.

Thanks

The F8 subwoofer is fantastic... That said, I have no experience with the midbass version of it (FM8)

rsmt2000
12-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks Dave.

I am jumping in for dual FM8s purely on your recommendation :-)

davef
12-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Thanks Dave.

I am jumping in for dual FM8s purely on your recommendation :-)

cool -- please order through us ;)

rsmt2000
12-16-2015, 08:59 AM
I'm using dual F8's, crossed at 60 with a pair of towers and thoroughly impressed. (keep in mind I have the option of using any Rythmik sub )

I can't put my finger on it -- perhaps it is the transient accuracy of the lighter mass cones, greater dispersion of smaller cones, or an improved upper bass response

Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. :-)