PDA

View Full Version : Question on integrating passive sub with Sierra 2's

XEagleDriver
11-23-2015, 09:32 AM
BACKGROUND: Ordered a pair of Sierra 2's for use in a 2.1 system (passive sub) for music only use.
- The passive sub is an Optimus Pro SW 12 I refurbished and have wired between a HK3485 AVR and the L/R speakers like in the following diagram, except the depicted "in-walls" will actually be Sierra 2's and the sub is NOT an in-wall:

- I replaced the sub's original (lousy ~200Hz) crossover with a better Parasound CX-1002 (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PACX1002) crossover with the following specs (from Parasound (http://parasound.com/vintage/cx1002.php)):

"120 Hz low pass crossover, 12dB/octave
120 Hz high pass crossover, 12dB/octave
Oversize inductors for high power handling without distortion
Low insertion loss to prevent loss of efficiency"

QUESTION: Should I anticipate any issues with the sub's 120Hz crossover freq and 12dB/octave slope vis-a-vis the Sierra 2's low end capability? In another words, would sending frequencies below ~120Hz for the passive sub to reproduce detract from the overall bass response (Sierra 2's are spec'd down to ~45Hz).

Buying a new sub is not an option, having just bought the 2's, but other options include:
1) Not using the passive sub
2) Replace/adjust the sub's crossover to a lower frequency (such as ??)

Thanks in advance.

Mag_Neato
11-23-2015, 10:59 AM
If possible, lower the crossover to 80Hz max. The Sierra-2's will most likely produce a higher quality sound than the sub at those frequencies which are WELL within the -2's range.

XEagleDriver
11-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Thanks, that was what my audio spidey sense was telling me as I wrote the post.

davef
11-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Thanks, that was what my audio spidey sense was telling me as I wrote the post.

120Hz is much too high... I would recommend a 60Hz crossover, but since I have no data about this subwoofer, you are really going to need to do this by ear. There is much more to a subwoofer than just an amplifier and a crossover. Is the sub properly EQ'd for a flat frequency response? Do you have a phase control? Too many variables here to provide you with a definitive answer...

XEagleDriver
11-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Think late 90s/early 00s old school, prior to amplified subs 😆
- No amplifier (passive); no phase, no EQ, just a fixed crossover at ~120Hz.

Will try with and without, with the expectation without is probably going to win the day.

Thanks,
XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver
12-01-2015, 06:56 AM
To close the loop . . . the S2's arrived and sound amazing.

My wife (a singer) and I conducted an initial comparison of the bass response both with and without the passive Optimus sub described in a previous post.

We used Joshua Bell's At Home With Friends (http://www.amazon.com/Home-With-Friends-Joshua-Bell/dp/B002LMSWSC) album which has a good mix of instruments, percussion, and vocals.

Our conclusion was the bass response from the Sierra-2 speakers was much tighter, clearer, and more accurate without the passive sub than with it. In addition, the RAAL tweeter was extremely impressive, providing the best clarity and detail I have heard.