PDA

View Full Version : I want to love Sierra's but ...

siper1
07-24-2015, 10:59 PM
I'm looking for expert help on supporting Dave!

After a few weeks, I'm seriously torn. I know I should love the Ascend Acoustic Sierra 1's (NRT Upgrade) but I'm not. I bought them and still have a few weeks of the "evaluation period" left (L/R/C Sierra 1 with NRT Upgrade + Rythmik 12 Servo Sub)

The Sierra's live up to every review I've read. The soundstage is huge and would be fine without a subwoofer but I continuously feel that something is missing (musically) - (HT) TV & Movies are epic. I have an older Denon AVR 2016 and Sunfire TG-3 that I've tried and am wondering if it's those that are to blame. I'm using "top of the line" Yamaha 3-way's in the ceiling as surrounds - which could also be the issue ...

My room can equally be the issue (tile floors, glass doors on one side, open to the dining room, etc) ... With that said might a more directional speaker like the Mcintosh XR50's be a better choice than something with such a wide dispersion like the Ascends?

Honestly, the Ascends feel as if they are better made and dare I say better engineered than the Macs. With that said, I want to give them every chance to shine ... how do I do that? Or, should I just keep the Rhythmik Sub and build everything around the Mcintosh XR50's I have (buy a matching center (LCR-80) + vintage combination of Mcintosh gear? If I were to do the later I'd have $3K for power + processing ... Is that enough to build a quality macintosh HT/Music system?

Again, HT the Ascends are awesome but I heard the XR50's + MC275 and fell in love musically. I can get the XR50's for $2000 which leaves $3-$4K for power + processing + center. (used is fine with me).

Goal 1 - Make the Sierra's the best sounding system I can with my budget - #2, go Mac ..

Blutarsky
07-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Sounds like room and placement problems to me. A rug in front of the speakers, close curtains?
It takes weeks for me to get a system dialed in. A quarter inch in placement can sound worse. How large is the room? Try on stereo direct receiver setting? The Yamaha ceiling speakers aren't comparable to the Sierra's.

siper1
07-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Sounds like room and placement problems to me. A rug in front of the speakers, close curtains?
It takes weeks for me to get a system dialed in. A quarter inch in placement can sound worse. How large is the room? Try on stereo direct receiver setting? The Yamaha ceiling speakers aren't comparable to the Sierra's.

1. The room is 15 ft wide with the back of the listening area open to the dining room and kitchen. If you've ever been to Ascend, their listening room is exactly the same as mine less a back wall (window on the left wall, tile floor with rug, ceiling height, etc.)

2. Yes - Direct on both recievers (Denon is easier to use but Sunfire (Carver) TG-3 seems like a waste to not use the extra power and supposed "better quality")

3. I agree on the Yamaha's - Too bright

In a "challenging room", might a more directional speaker be better?

Blutarsky
07-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Have you heard the Macs in your room?

siper1
08-06-2015, 10:32 PM
I have - They sounded great. However, when tested against the S1 at Ascend in their listening room it was obvious that they were more directional. Both speakers had their points. Looking at both Specs the S1's Frequency Response (Anechoic) is 44Hz - 22kHz ± 3dB vs. Mac's of 40HZ to 45 khz and Sensitivity (Anechoic) 86.5dB @ 1 watt / 1 meter vs. 81db. What doe sthis tell me?