PDA

View Full Version : Sierra 2 Review (vs B&W 803D)

snaabster
06-14-2015, 02:19 PM
Sierra 2 Reviews: June 14, 2015.

Speakers very well packed. Arrived in 7-10 days.

Background:
Dedicated listening room - 15 x 25 with 12 foot ceilings
2.1 channel only
14 "Real Traps" spread thru-out room (i.e. thick fiberglass panels on walls and stands)

Equipment:
B & W 803D's with diamond tweeters
Aragon 2004 amp (a Pass Labs x150.5 coming in mail this week from Reno HiFi !!)
Acurus LS11 solid state pre and PrimaLuna Dialogue 3 tube pre
Rives Audio PARC (bass management system operative only below 200 Hertz)
Rega Apollo R CD player (only redbook)
Music: mostly traditional jazz combos
Rhythmik F12SE sub - sometimes used

Sound:
I originally bought the Sierra 2's to be computer speakers (!!) to replace my Paradigm Studio 40's
However, I first placed the Sierras on stands next to the B & W's to see how they sounded in a traditional arrangement

What struck me at first (and still) is the superb resolution and detail. These traits are incredible. The B & W's are of course MUCH larger speakers and pressurize the room much more and they DO have a warm sound - a trait they are known for.
The 803 Diamond tweeter is commonly regarded as a world class tweeter but I do think the RAAL is better. The latter is airer, more delicate with better decay (and the diamond tweeter really is very good but I think inferior - amazingly so)
I am hearing small subtleties I have not heard before or heard less well - background conversation or coughing for instance on jazz club CD's such as Bill Evans. The detail is amazing yet not etched or overdone. The Sierras are neither bright nor warm.
The soundstage can be very wide and far outside the lateral edges of the speakers.
The sweet spot is not small at all with regard to the ribbon tweeter. No head in a vice..
Bass is very realistic and better defined than the triple 7 inch woofers on the B&W's. The fingers on an upright bass are heard more distinctly and the bass tones themselves are simply more realistic - I have sat amazed thru many CD's.
All else being equal, any monitor should be more detailed than a larger floor standing speaker as with less bass the midrange and highs are (relatively) more prominent and I do realize that is part of it. However apart from that there is simply more detail and resolution which does not go away even if I increase the degree of bass via the Rhythmik when playing the Sierras.

The amount of bass without the Rhythmik is substantial and not inadequate within reason as the monitors are small and only so much can be expected of such a small enclosure. They do sound full and have adequate bass as stand alone units. A sub is not mandatory at all at least for most music only systems
I did have to turn off the Rives device as they sounded too thin with that unit engaged. My room does have a significant 80 hertz peak (without the Rives PARC on) and that mis likely helping the sierras bottom end.

The midrange is excellent - again detail and resolution is something else. The B& W's 803's are excellent speakers in their own right and certainly sound fuller and pressurize the room more but I think I like the Sierras better (which is starting to frustrate me).

These are excellent speakers and even better values. In the scheme of things and as compared to what dynaudio, proac, joseph audio or harbeth etc charge - these have equal or better drivers and are in some instances 1/5 the price.

I am amazed they have equaled or beat the 803's - I certainly did not expect that. The detail and resolution have to be heard to understand this. The fact I like these better than my "beloved" 803's bothers me...

I am now wondering about the towers and wish to hear them.

I had not heard of Ascend before 1 mth ago. I was searching the net for replacement speakers for the paradigms and was considering salk, SVS, clearaudio and other internet only companies or used harbeths but decided on these largely due to the ribbon tweeter.

I do wish Stereophile would review these and the towers as I would like to read John Atkinsons measurements section -- I very much trust his measurements. I realize however that that review will not be forthcoming for many reasons already explained by Ascend.

These are great speakers and a fantastic value. Job well done..

davef
06-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Wonderful review and we are very happy that you are enjoying the speakers :)

Thanks for putting your confidence in us!

bgbkt
01-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Wow! I would have expected this to be compared to CM series but looks like it's way better than B&W's CM series.