PDA

View Full Version : RAAL Tower Audition?

Too_Blue
03-26-2015, 10:28 PM
Hey all,

A few years back I upgraded my modest living room system and was hoping to hear some Ascend Towers, but they were delayed, and I needed speakers and heard some monitors I really liked and ended up with them and a quality sub for my $2k. Been real happy, even comparing to a friend's Sierra 1s in my room on my gear with my music for most of a night.

No regrets, but I liked the Sierras a lot.

Fast-forward to the present and I'm putting together a dedicated room. It's not perfect, but I'll have total freedom when it comes to setup and treatments. 12X14 with a peaked ceiling rising to 12' from 8' at the walls. Treatment there will be, lots of it. I'd love nothing more than to keep it simple and go with big (truly) full-rangers like the Philharmonic 3. But I think the room is just too small. Treatment or no, smaller speakers and multiple subs seems more logical to smooth the bass response.

My short list consists of the Ascend RAAL tower and a couple of three-way monitors also offered by internet-direct companies, none of which I've heard. I have heard the Sierra 1, which put a smile on my face. So I'm leaning heavily in that direction.

But I can't drop $3k on a pair of speakers without hearing them. Just can't do it.

So, after bearing with this long-winded post by a guy who doesn't hang here, is there anybody in the midwest who'd be willing to let me have a listen to their RAAL towers?

Thanks!

Shaun

luisv
03-27-2015, 04:09 AM
In the event you can't find someone in your area, Ascend has a 30 day in home trial guarantee. Only catch, you pay shipping both ways in the event of a return. I was in the same boat as you, but I took the plunge and ordered the towers and horizon (both with RAAL) so I can audition them in my room. Looking forward to the audition...

Too_Blue
03-27-2015, 05:15 AM
I hear ya. Thing is, I want the natural bamboo finish. Is that still a custom option? If so, don't you lose the 30 day trial?

Or am I way behind the times?

luisv
03-27-2015, 05:29 AM
On the towers main page, Bamboo is listed as a standard finish so I assume you are ok with the trial; however, I would give them a call to confirm.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html

Too_Blue
03-27-2015, 07:18 AM
Well then, along with Dave's philosophy that pretty much clinches it. Just gotta flesh out the budget.

How are those blue lights treating you?

luisv
03-27-2015, 07:32 AM
I really like my Emotiva gear. About 5-7 years ago, I upgraded from a Marantz processor (can't recall the model) and Acuras amps to the UMC-1 and Emotiva amps in my signature. To my ears it was a pleasant improvement so once the XMC-1 was released, I upgraded and again, thus far, with Dirac and the various other improvements over the UMC-1, the XMC-1 has provided a better sonic improvement. No regrets thus far. I'm currently waiting for their latest firmware and Dirac Full version to be made available. Are those your Emotiva blue LEDs?

Too_Blue
03-27-2015, 09:49 AM
They are.

XDA-1 (TV & Movies)

USP-1

UPA-1 (X2)

Driving LSA-1 Signatures and a Salk SongSub

Too_Blue
03-27-2015, 10:07 AM

luisv
03-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Room looks great! But I must admit, those wooden trim plates on the Emotiva gear look even better! Is that wood on the volume knob as well?

Too_Blue
03-27-2015, 12:10 PM
It is. There's a guy on the Emo forum who makes the trim pieces. They're bubinga. I ordered some and did the volume knob myself. Museum wax is amazing stuff! It just came back from being repaired (free of charge or return shipping) and it didn't budge. Built the speaker stands myself, too.

The brick facade has got to go, lol. House was built in '74 and needs some updates, bit it's built like a tank. Sits on 7 acres in the Ozarks.

If you're interested in the trim I can PM the guy (can't remember his name) and put you in touch. Nice man, impeccable work, fairly reasonable price.

luisv
03-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Very nice indeed and bubinga is one of my favorite woods. My amps are basically hidden away in rack, so the nice trim pieces would go unnoticed for the most part, but thanks for offering.

Do you frequent Emotiva's The Lounge?

Too_Blue
03-27-2015, 10:13 PM
Off and on, when time allows. Mostly when I go into research mode. But I've made a couple of friends.

luisv
03-28-2015, 07:39 AM
You have another friend over at The Lounge now. :cool:

Too_Blue
03-28-2015, 09:53 AM
:cool:

andrey
07-30-2015, 08:59 PM
Hi, if you have any RAAL in 250 miles range of houston please let me know, I'll come with a 6-pack just to look and listen!