PDA

View Full Version : Source for bamboo?

Sivar
10-05-2014, 05:04 PM
I am considering having a friend that builds custom furniture make table toppers for some sub-woofers that match (as closely as reasonable) the natural finish Bamboo speakers.

Where can he order the same or similar sheets of laminated bamboo used to build the speakers?

Also, I remember from reading the story of the Sierra 1's development that bamboo is hard to work with -- literally. Being a physically hard material, is there anything that I should tell my woodworker friend since he hasn't yet worked with the stuff?

curtis
10-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Google "bamboo ply" or "bamboo plywood".

Your friend should also consider doing some research on working with it, or at least get some samples for him to test with.

essneff
10-06-2014, 04:49 AM
You might also consider Bamboo veneer. It could be applied over Mdf or Plywood and would be very easy to work with.

davef
10-06-2014, 06:23 PM
I am considering having a friend that builds custom furniture make table toppers for some sub-woofers that match (as closely as reasonable) the natural finish Bamboo speakers.

Where can he order the same or similar sheets of laminated bamboo used to build the speakers?

Also, I remember from reading the story of the Sierra 1's development that bamboo is hard to work with -- literally. Being a physically hard material, is there anything that I should tell my woodworker friend since he hasn't yet worked with the stuff?

There are several sources of bamboo out there. The vendor we purchase our bamboo sheets from only sells in large quantities and only directly to manufacturers. Tell your friend to look for "caramelized (also referred to as carbonized) vertical grain"

It is more difficult to cut than MDF so order enough sheets so that your friend can practice. Keep in mind that this type of wood is quite expensive.

Sivar
10-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Thank you Dave, Curtis for the information.
I think I may go with essneff's suggestion since Bamboo sellers seem to want me to contact them for a quote rather than list prices. That's usually a way of saying, "You can't afford it!" :D
I'll post pics if/when I get the furniture put together.

curtis
10-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Hope you can find bamboo veneer that will match the bamboo ply.