PDA

View Full Version : Greetings! Audition request before purchase decision :D

mepstein10
10-02-2014, 02:42 PM
After spending numerous hours researching and looking at specifications, frequency charts, and comparisons to practically every other set of towers within the general price range, I am stuck between Salk Songtowers and the Sierra towers (leaning toward Sierra though). My usage is broken down to music 85%, HT 15%.

After speaking to Dave on AVS , he suggested that I see if there is anyone in the SF bay area that has a set of towers (preferably with the RAAL tweeter) that I can hear, and make my decision based on that.

I am located in Danville/San Ramon, but that basically makes me smack in the middle of the east bay.

Thanks for looking and thank you in advance. And for anyone who chose Sierra over Salk or vice versa, what were your reasons in doing so?

Sivar
10-04-2014, 02:47 PM
I am not near SF so can't help you with an audition, but I too recently considered Salk and others but went with Ascend. In short, I chose the Sierra tower because of its use of bamboo, its higher efficiency, and at some level because of the owner's philosophy about business.
Bamboo is an option for Salk, but it costs quite a lot more and, because it is not the default option, I had some concern that the speakers were not designed with it in mind. Is that a valid concern? I have no idea. Probably not. Bamboo does have some very desirable properties for speakers, however, and in my opinion it looks great.

While I have never heard Salk speakers, based on my own excessive research, you can't go wrong with either Salk or Ascend.

You may find the following thread helpful, since it involves the decision you are currently making:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?5090-Salk-Songtower-vs-Sierra-Tower/page2