PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Idaho

Sivar
08-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Hello from Pocatello, ID, U.S.!

When I as 15, I helped the company that sold my first computer with a networking job for a small business. We stayed at the business owner's house for a week, where they played Jurassic Park for me.
I remember that when the dinosaur stomped, it felt the impact, and when other species shrieked, I heard detail in their "vocals" that I hadn't known was there.

This was my first exposure to "audio matters", and I have since spent thousands of hours of research in speaker design, speaker metrics, and learning to separate marketing fluff from important information.

I was in college for quite a while and spent years paying off student loans afterwards, but I never stopped reading and "designing" my system. Its design evolved like so
"Get ****. Everyone says they are great --> Get Klipsch, they actually sound good --> Get Axiom Audio --> Get Paradigm --> Get Arx A5's --> Get Ascend" with Axiom being the last 4 years of my design and Paradigm through Ascend being the results of the last few months of OCD forum scraping.

Now that my student loans are nearing their end, scrimping, not furnishing or decorating my house, and driving a gratis 2000 Buick from my grandfather, I feel I can get a good system without feeling financially irresponsible.

While I initially wrote off Ascend because of the website, my research kept pointing back to Ascend and so I have to go where the evidence leads. That, plus the warm, intelligent culture of the forums and the fact that Dave, the owner, personally answers so many questions (much like Ian at Axiom) have led to, at long last, a decision to build an all-Ascend (and Rythmik) speaker system.

davef
09-03-2014, 01:36 AM
Hello from Pocatello, ID, U.S.!

When I as 15, I helped the company that sold my first computer with a networking job for a small business. We stayed at the business owner's house for a week, where they played Jurassic Park for me.
I remember that when the dinosaur stomped, it felt the impact, and when other species shrieked, I heard detail in their "vocals" that I hadn't known was there.

This was my first exposure to "audio matters", and I have since spent thousands of hours of research in speaker design, speaker metrics, and learning to separate marketing fluff from important information.

I was in college for quite a while and spent years paying off student loans afterwards, but I never stopped reading and "designing" my system. Its design evolved like so
"Get ****. Everyone says they are great --> Get Klipsch, they actually sound good --> Get Axiom Audio --> Get Paradigm --> Get Arx A5's --> Get Ascend" with Axiom being the last 4 years of my design and Paradigm through Ascend being the results of the last few months of OCD forum scraping.

Now that my student loans are nearing their end, scrimping, not furnishing or decorating my house, and driving a gratis 2000 Buick from my grandfather, I feel I can get a good system without feeling financially irresponsible.

While I initially wrote off Ascend because of the website, my research kept pointing back to Ascend and so I have to go where the evidence leads. That, plus the warm, intelligent culture of the forums and the fact that Dave, the owner, personally answers so many questions (much like Ian at Axiom) have led to, at long last, a decision to build an all-Ascend (and Rythmik) speaker system.

Thank you Sivar!