PDA

View Full Version : Audition Sierra 2s (or Raal towers) in Chicago IL area

N Boros
06-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Does anyone have the Sierra 2s in the Chicago area and mind letting me have a listen? I am really interested in hearing this Raal tweeter, so even the horizon or tower with the Raal tweeter would also be great.

markie
06-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Hi there,

Petmotel (Jay) lives near Chicago, and he has both the RAAL towers and the Sierra 2. He offered someone else an audition some time ago so he's a candidate. Good luck!

Mark

N Boros
06-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. I decided to just order a pair of Sierra 2s to audition them for myself in my own room. What pushed me to do it so quickly is that I have wanted to compare the Ascend speakers with Aperion speakers. The reason that I was so strongly leaning towards Ascend is because of the Raal tweeter as an option in the various speakers, also that it seems like Dave F. has squeezed every little bit of performance possible out of the Sierras (custom drivers to optimize performance, bamboo cabinets to lower resonance, etc.), as the remarkable measurements on the website and forums show. What pushed me over the edge to order the Sierra 2s was the fact that Aperion was having a 20% sale that ended last night at midnight. So if I was going to compare Aperion to Ascend it seemed like now is the perfect time to do so, since Aperion rarely has site-wide sales. The sale is allowing me to compare a Verus Grand 3 way speaker to the Sierra 2 bookshelf, which were nearly the same price because of the sale. This seems like the only way I could make a "fair" comparison between the two different speaker companies because of the Raal tweeter. But, I am 90% sure I will still go with the Sierra 2s!

markie
06-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Nice! And whoa, two very different speakers there! I very much look forward to hearing your comparison of these two very different speakers - a smallish two way monitor vs a largish 5 driver, 3 way tower. And you're so right, Dave F. has squeezed a lot of goodness into those beautiful compact bamboo cabinets. My guess: I think you'll be surprised at how much more defined the mid bass is on the little Sierras, especially at lower volumes. And the treble smoothness and energy of the RAAL, oooh...
Looking forward!

Mark