PDA

View Full Version : Looking for quality bookshelf with a front bass port

bkdc
03-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Can anyone recommend a quality bookshelf speaker (less than 1000 for a pair) with a front bass port instead of a rear port? Also non-ported speakers are fine. Due to space constraints, these monitors will unfortunately be placed close to a wall, and I would like to avoid the boomy effect of doing so.

Right now, I'm looking at the economic option of a pair of Definitive Technology Promonitor 1000 bookshelfs with a passive radiator at the top.

Mag_Neato
03-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Seeing as this is the Ascend Acoustics forum I will stick with that brand.

1. A pair of HTM-200's are sealed and would fit the bill out of the box.

2. A pair of Sierra-1's with Q-plugs would be my other recommendation.

That'll get you started!

bkdc
03-10-2014, 01:16 PM
That makes me think -- anyone try Sierra-2's with Q-plugs?

Mag_Neato
03-10-2014, 01:46 PM
That makes me think -- anyone try Sierra-2's with Q-plugs?

Well, so much for your original budget!

I used the Q-plugs with the NrT's but have not tried them with the -2's. I don't think they are intended to work with the -2's as the woofer has different performance characteristics, but I will leave that for Dave to comment on.

bkdc
03-10-2014, 05:00 PM
I was asking because I own a pair of Sierra-2's which are situated somewhere else in the house.

Mag_Neato
03-11-2014, 05:29 AM
Ah.........gotcha!

After a little more thought, here's a front ported speaker with Ascend Acoustics roots!

http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/

drbump471
03-11-2014, 11:28 AM
I really liked the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5. Ultimately I liked the Sierra better but these do have a front bass port. Might have to haggle with a sales guy as they list at 1200 but I liked these over the B&W, Martin Logans, Definitive, Klipsch, Paradigms I listened to.

Good luck!

Geocab
03-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Philharmonitors. I just compared them to the Sierra 2's and while the S2's sound better to me, the Phil's are a very nice speaker. The difference between the two is not a very large gap. Front bass port, decent low end for music, voices sound really good, just a little laid back compared to the S2's.

I'm doing my final comparison tomorrow with a makeshift AB switch.

natetg57
03-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Philharmonitors. I just compared them to the Sierra 2's and while the S2's sound better to me, the Phil's are a very nice speaker. The difference between the two is not a very large gap. Front bass port, decent low end for music, voices sound really good, just a little laid back compared to the S2's.

I'm doing my final comparison tomorrow with a makeshift AB switch.

Did you send the philharmonitors back?

Geocab
04-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Did you send the philharmonitors back?

I kept both pairs of speakers. The S2's will be my mains and the Phils will go in Zone 2.