PDA

View Full Version : Need some assistance with new Rythmik 12 sub settings

ematthews
03-07-2014, 07:10 PM
I am using the new Rythmik 12 with my Emotiva USP-1 pre amp. I have the preamp set for high pass {small speakers} front speakers for my Sierra 2's. On the Ryhmik installation sheet I wasn't sure of a few things. First. If I am using just the LFE in connection do any of the settings change verses using both Right and Left in connections? If so I only have the single sub rca out on the Emotiva preamp.. Would I need a splitter?

Also I wasn't sure if I was supposed to follow the AVR install guide from Rthmik since my preamp has bass management... Or do I just use the 2 channel guide from RythmiK...
Ugh! I am confused... It seemed a lot easier with my old sub with only a few settings..
Help me out if you can..
Right now it sounds very tight and a little low unless I turn the volume up to about 3:00
Thanks guys.

curtis
03-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Use the LFE connection and the AVR install guide. No need for a splitter.

Enjoy.

It's OK to turn up, but you should get a SPL meter to understand the levels your are setting. Without a meter, chances are you are setting bass on the hot side...but that is OK...it's about preferences.

ematthews
03-07-2014, 07:24 PM
And just to be sure.. The LFE connection is just the upper left #1 position.

curtis
03-07-2014, 07:28 PM
And just to be sure.. The LFE connection is just the upper left #1 position.
Left? In the pictures on the Rythmik site, the Line-in is on the right.

curtis
03-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Left? In the pictures on the Rythmik site, the Line-in is on the right.
Nevermind...I was looking at an old picture.

Your amp is labeled, right? "LFE" in is marked right above the input.

ematthews
03-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Doe anyone know how I would set this up to acheive less bump/thump from bass drums and more low end boom? I think that is how I would describe it. My ML Grotto was set at 80hz and 180 phase.. Volume was at 75%. I was getting a nice LOW end with less short bass impact. For instance. With the sub off and playing just the Sierra 2's you wouldn't have much low end. Then cutting the sub on you would fill the room with deep lows instead of just bass drum attack with the ML Grotto... This is what I seek with the Ryhmik.
Sorry.. I am not educated much on subs.
You could also say I am looking at less attack and more low end resonating extension.

curtis
03-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Doe anyone know how I would set this up to acheive less bump/thump from bass drums and more low end boom? I think that is how I would describe it. My ML Grotto was set at 80hz and 180 phase.. Volume was at 75%. I was getting a nice LOW end with less short bass impact. For instance. With the sub off and playing just the Sierra 2's you wouldn't have much low end. Then cutting the sub on you would fill the room with deep lows instead of just bass drum attack with the ML Grotto... This is what I seek with the Ryhmik.
Sorry.. I am not educated much on subs.
You could also say I am looking at less attack and more low end resonating extension.
How do you have it set up now?

davef
03-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Hi Eric,

My guess is that you are used to a bit more "boom" from the subwoofer, as the Rythmik actually extends quite a bit deeper than your Grotto. Most sealed compact subwoofers have a bump in the 30-50 Hz range and sacrifice extension. This is due to the physics of having a large woofer in a small sealed enclosure and this type of bass response is actually less accurate, but can seem to have more of a tactile feel to it. The neat thing about Rythmik subwoofers is that you can have absolute accuracy, or a bit more boom.

Please try the following two settings and let me know which you prefer:

For both settings, be sure the "bass extension" switch is set to 14Hz.

Set the damping switch to "Hi" and have a listen.

Set the damping switch to "Low" and have a listen.

Which setting do you prefer?

Now set the bass extension switch to 28Hz.

Which of these do you prefer?

ematthews
03-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Great. Thanks for all the info. Dave I will try this out this week and post back...

ematthews
03-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Hi Eric,

My guess is that you are used to a bit more "boom" from the subwoofer, as the Rythmik actually extends quite a bit deeper than your Grotto. Most sealed compact subwoofers have a bump in the 30-50 Hz range and sacrifice extension. This is due to the physics of having a large woofer in a small sealed enclosure and this type of bass response is actually less accurate, but can seem to have more of a tactile feel to it. The neat thing about Rythmik subwoofers is that you can have absolute accuracy, or a bit more boom.

Please try the following two settings and let me know which you prefer:

For both settings, be sure the "bass extension" switch is set to 14Hz.

Which setting do you prefer?

Now set the bass extension switch to 28Hz.

Which of these do you prefer?
Dave a bit hard to judge all the different settings.. I am leaning towards 14 on low setting. Some songs sound better on 14 high.. I couldn't hear much of a difference on 28... What could I expect switching from 14-28? 14 almost sounds lower..
I see that Rythmik says for high SPL use 20 and the rubble filter. I have no idea what all this means..
One note. I moved the sub out of the corner and in between the speakers. Sounds a lot better this way. I always thought I would get more bass in the corner. Not so with this sub for me.
Still confused. At least I am half way there since I do enjoy the sound with the move..

ematthews
03-18-2014, 05:59 PM
How do you have it set up now?

I have it set exactly like the recommended initial 2 channel set up guide that came with the sub.
PEQ OFF
GAIN 0
Bandwidth middle position
Frequency middle 40
delay/phase 10 o'clock
crossover 80
volume 12 o'clock middle
low pass filter 50hz/24....... THIS ONE I WAS UNSURE ON WITH THE SIERRA 2 other setting was 80/24
Rumble off
Extension 14/high and some times low

ematthews
03-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Hey... I also wanted to add that I am no longer running my Emotiva gear which had bass controls on the USP-1. I have all this hooked up to my Marantz PM8004 CD6004 set up.
So I have no control over my Sierra's running on small or large... They are running large or full if anyone needs to know... I know Dave recommends setting them on small. But now I can not.

curtis
03-18-2014, 06:15 PM
Which input on the sub are you using?

ematthews
03-18-2014, 06:32 PM
The L/R line in. This is my only way to connect it since I am using the preouts on the Marantz.
I have been listning for an hour now on 14hz HI and it's sounding really good with Steven Wilson...

curtis
03-18-2014, 07:28 PM
The L/R line in. This is my only way to connect it since I am using the preouts on the Marantz.
I have been listning for an hour now on 14hz HI and it's sounding really good with Steven Wilson...
I like that setting the best...tight bass...not of that flabby stuff!