PDA

View Full Version : New to the hobby.

jesusbike
12-17-2013, 04:18 PM
I am about to order a pair of the Seirra 1s. I have been trying to save money for about five or six years and with four daughters in college not much luck. I have been looking at them and dreaming all along. I am going with the LCR for now, will be using a Onkyo TX-NR818. I need some advice though, with going with the Seirra my hidey hole money is gone. Any suggestions on speaker cables for the set up? Thanks ahead of time for the hoped for answers. One more thing I am retired and need all the help I can get.

Update. ordered the seirra 1 LCR in the satin expresso. Can not wait to see them. Let my wife pick out the color.

I have since gotten the speakers, wow they are slick. The satin expresso is a good combo. Downside from Monoprice, waiting, waiting for order and called. The order did not go through, so now have speakers and reciever but no wire to get things started. Bummer. I will let you know how things go. I really appreciate the help.
NWC

curtis
12-17-2013, 06:47 PM
I am about to order a pair of the Seirra 1s. I have been trying to save money for about five or six years and with four daughters in college not much luck. I have been looking at them and dreaming all along. I am going with the LCR for now, will be using a Onkyo TX-NR818. I need some advice though, with going with the Seirra my hidey hole money is gone. Any suggestions on speaker cables for the set up? Thanks ahead of time for the hoped for answers. One more thing I am retired and need all the help I can get.
You will get differing opinions on this, but if you are really trying to save money, just get some 16 or 14 gauge lamp cord from the hardware store. It will work fine unless you are running long lengths.

I use them for my surrounds with no issues.

Where do you live? I have some I can give you.

jesusbike
12-18-2013, 03:13 AM
Curtis,
That is so generous, thank you. I live in Tellico Plains, TN.
Curtis after thinking about your offer, I feel bad accepting. Thank you so very much for the offer. I am going to check out Monoprice.
NWC

natetg57
12-18-2013, 05:10 AM
Any suggestions on speaker cables for the set up?
Monoprice is a good source. 50ft of 12 awg for I think $14. You really only need 14 or 16 awg though.

jesusbike
12-18-2013, 02:01 PM
I will check out monoprice, that sounds more in line with my budget. Curtis was kind enough to offer some wire he had. Thank you.

curtis
12-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Curtis,
That is so generous, thank you. I live in Tellico Plains, TN.
Curtis after thinking about your offer, I feel bad accepting. Thank you so very much for the offer. I am going to check out Monoprice.
NWC

I will check out monoprice, that sounds more in line with my budget. Curtis was kind enough to offer some wire he had. Thank you.
Monoprice is a good source for a lot of things.

Don't feel bad. I looked last night and couldn't find my spool...it must be in the garage somewhere.

Good luck.