PDA

View Full Version : New here; new to hi-fi

heyimderrick
12-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Hello All,

New to the forum, and somewhat new to hi-fi. My uncle has been a die-hard hi-fi enthusiast for decades and his passion has now rubbed off on me. He has a dedicated listening room with a ton of gear from the likes of Threshold, Pass Labs, Enlightened Audio Design, Sonic Frontiers, Nakamichi, etc. Experiencing how swapping in different components has intrigued me and I am now determined to find 'audio nirvana' for myself.

One of the first higher-end bookshelf speakers I heard in his "sound lab" was the NHT Classic Three. I was considering purchasing a pair for myself to replace my Axiom Audio M3v3, but then I started doing some comparison research that pointed me here to Ascend Acoustics. The great reviews intrigued me, and I have since ordered a pair of the CBM-170SE bookshelf speakers to put up against my Axiom Audio M3v3 as a starting point.

I've already had great experiences speaking with Dave and Dina, so if these little bookshelves perform as reviewed, I have no doubt that they'll put the Axioms to shame. Providing that's what happens, I'm thinking of assembling a 7.1 HT setup using the CBM and CMT line, and then eventually construct a dedicated listening room for music-only using the Sierra Towers.

Obviously, I'm now anxiously awaiting for the arrival of the 170s to start auditioning them.

Best,
Derrick

davef
12-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Welcome to the forum Derrick!

heyimderrick
12-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks Dave! I finally got the CBM-170SE pair up and running last night. Using a Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD player and a NAD C 326BEE in my little listening room. Initial impressions: wow! Compared to the Axiom Audio M3v3 I was running, the CBM-170SE is far more detailed, tighter bass, and more dimensionality in the soundstage. I played some test tracks by Bonobo, Miles Davis, John Mayer and Iron and Wine... impressive sound across all genres. Miles nearly blasted me out of my chair and it was like John was standing on my audio stand. Good stuff, and this is your 'cheap' speaker!

billy p
12-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks Dave! I finally got the CBM-170SE pair up and running last night. Using a Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD player and a NAD C 326BEE in my little listening room. Initial impressions: wow! Compared to the Axiom Audio M3v3 I was running, the CBM-170SE is far more detailed, tighter bass, and more dimensionality in the soundstage. I played some test tracks by Bonobo, Miles Davis, John Mayer and Iron and Wine... impressive sound across all genres. Miles nearly blasted me out of my chair and it was like John was standing on my audio stand. Good stuff, and this is your 'cheap' speaker!

Good stuff...I had the 22s for a stint...although they were okay... I did compare them to my Sierra 1 NrTs...so not entirely on the same level, that's for sure. Just don't go telling the boys at Axiom about your findings...you might regret it...I did.

Take care and enjoy those Ascends...Bill

heyimderrick
12-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Good stuff...I had the 22s for a stint...although they were okay... I did compare them to my Sierra 1 NrTs...so not entirely on the same level, that's for sure. Just don't go telling the boys at Axiom about your findings...you might regret it...I did.

Take care and enjoy those Ascends...Bill

I thought about trying the M22s. I thought I should experience another speaker company before buying another Axiom product. I was actually looking into the NHT Classic Three because my uncle has those and they sound great, but it seems a lot of NHT owners have switched over to Ascend, so here I am getting a taste of what they have to offer. I can only imagine how good the Sierra line is now.

billy p
12-17-2013, 04:04 PM
I thought about trying the M22s. I thought I should experience another speaker company before buying another Axiom product. I was actually looking into the NHT Classic Three because my uncle has those and they sound great, but it seems a lot of NHT owners have switched over to Ascend, so here I am getting a taste of what they have to offer. I can only imagine how good the Sierra line is now.
Yup the M2s/M22s are much more linear than the M3s and try to closely resemble the 170's. The M3 uses a 6.5 mid woofer which will dig deeper and deploy a bass hump ~100hz. By exciting that region it exaggerates the sound making it sound less natural and more colored. Some might like them for music purposes though...less so for HT....IMO.

I don't understand why some people who have never heard Axioms try and describe them or call them shrill or bright in most cases. To me they where neither.... very flat or congested, boring, if you will and I preferred the Sierras over them in every facet.

As for the NHT...I never had the opportunity to hear any of them. Just going by their looks and how well they measured (especially the Classic 3's) I'd have say they're terrific speakers.

Take care...:)

heyimderrick
12-18-2013, 09:47 AM
... I don't understand why some people who have never heard Axioms try and describe them or call them shrill or bright in most cases. To me they where neither.... very flat or congested, boring, if you will and I preferred the Sierras over them in every facet.

As for the NHT...I never had the opportunity to hear any of them. Just going by their looks and how well they measured (especially the Classic 3's) I'd have say they're terrific speakers.

Take care...:)

I totally agree with you, the M3 in comparison to the 170SE sounds very laid-back and unrefined to me.

I'm hoping to bring both the M3s and the 170SEs over to my uncle's listening room to demo them in a larger room with bigger gear (he runs all separates). In his room I've heard the NHT Classic Three, B&W DM602, and Zu Audio Omen bookshelf. Of those three, the NHT is my favorite; it just seems to do everything really well. I'm really curious to hear how the 170SE compares to it, especially with more wattage going through it. Maybe I can convince him to dig out his Polk LSi7s and Maggies to audition too.

curtis
12-18-2013, 10:23 AM
The Classic Three is a nice speaker. I've did a fair amount time of comparing it with the CMT-340SE which I think priced similar now with NHT's direct pricing model.

Comparing it with 170SE would be very interesting.

in regards to Axioms be called shrill....some models had some accentuating where the human ear is most sensitive. This really caused issue with some....and well...you know how things spread on the internet.

heyimderrick
12-18-2013, 10:37 AM
The Classic Three is a nice speaker. I've did a fair amount time of comparing it with the CMT-340SE which I think priced similar now with NHT's direct pricing model.

Comparing it with 170SE would be very interesting.

in regards to Axioms be called shrill....some models had some accentuating where the human ear is most sensitive. This really caused issue with some....and well...you know how things spread on the internet.

The Classic Three is still ~$900/pair, which is why the 340SE at $568/pair is intriguing based on some of the comparison reviews I've read (user reviews). What were your impressions of the two?

curtis
12-18-2013, 11:09 AM
The Classic Three is still ~$900/pair, which is why the 340SE at $568/pair is intriguing based on some of the comparison reviews I've read (user reviews). What were your impressions of the two?
Off the bat, the 340 is much more efficient, but even at the same listening levels, it also seemed more dynamic.

Those dynamics could also be because the 340SE seemed more forward or the Three being a tad laid back...however you see it.

BTW...SEAS considers the tweeter in the SE's "better" than what is in the Classic line....FWIW.

billy p
12-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Hey Curtis I think the NHT prices their speakers as each...I think you have heard Axioms....but many who cast judgment only base it on what they have read on the some AV site. Like, I said the 22's are decent....likely Axioms best all around speaker but they didn't cut if for me...like you said and IIRC...at high volumes at certain frequencies the tweeter is not as composed in the same manner as the Ascend....hence the shrill comments. Just don't try and tell them....;)

Bill

curtis
12-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Hey Curtis I think the NHT prices their speakers as each...I think you have heard Axioms....but many who cast judgment only base it on what they have read on the some AV site. Like, I said the 22's are decent....likely Axioms best all around speaker but they didn't cut if for me...like you said and IIRC...at high volumes at certain frequencies the tweeter is not as composed in the same manner as the Ascend....hence the shrill comments. Just don't try and tell them....;)

Yup, and I've also been knocked for saying the speakers sound "metallic". :)

I've heard the M22's and M60's extensively, some in my own room.