PDA

View Full Version : If you only had one song to play...

kcoakley
09-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Okay, I know this is just a variation on another thread theme but I'm going to ask anyway:

If you only had one song to play to really show off your Ascends, what song would you pick?

I ask because I'm having a large group of non-audiophiles with short attention spans over for an event unrelated to music and I suspect I'll have just one chance to really show off my towers so I don't want to blow it.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Ken

Dark Ranger
09-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Oh man, that's a tough question.

I think the overall response will depend a great deal on the audiences' tastes. If you play a stunning chamber orchestra performance, but the audience hates classical, it won't have much of an impact. If you choose prog rock, but most of the attendees prefer pop, it might not really matter.

If I could choose only one song, I'd probably select something that doesn't require a long build up, something with a groove, and with common instruments like bass, guitar, drums, percussion, etc.

Switchback or Querido Amigo (by Jesse Cook | Free Fall album)

If you had more time and your guests were more interested, I'd suggest that the guests bring some of their favorite music instead. It's always great to see someone's face light up when they hear their favorite music played like they've never heard it before. Most folks these days are used to iPods and poor-quality earbuds. :)

pierreterrier
09-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms- side two. That would blow anyone's musical mind away, classical, jazz, pop, rock fans or whatever, no matter. Enjoy!

davef
09-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Nils Lofgren's "Keith Don't Go"

billy p
10-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Okay I'll bite...Virtue from Jesse Cook's Free Fall CD....it has these cymbals you can faintly hear in the background. Before auditioning my Sierra 1's ...I never really noticed that song on my other speakers...what does that tell you about the Ascends. But IMO prudy much anything Jesse Cook sounds sweet....the Ascends really complement his style of playing.

petmotel
10-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Okay, I know this is just a variation on another thread theme but I'm going to ask anyway:

If you only had one song to play to really show off your Ascends, what song would you pick?

I ask because I'm having a large group of non-audiophiles with short attention spans over for an event unrelated to music and I suspect I'll have just one chance to really show off my towers so I don't want to blow it.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Ken

Stereo, or multi channel? They would be different for me.

Jay

kcoakley
11-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Stereo, or multi channel? They would be different for me.

Jay

Hi Jay,

I'd love to know your choices for both stereo and multi-channel. These would be different for me as well.

Thanks,
Ken

kcoakley
11-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks to all who replied.

I've added "Keith Don't Go" and Jesse Cook's Free Fall to my rotation due to these recommendations and I have to agree that they sound fantastic.

I'm embarrassed to admit that although I have the Dire Straits BiA SACD, I've only listened to the first 3 tracks. So a quick "thank you" to pierreterrier for getting me to listen to the rest of the album. Great stuff.

In the end I had a fairly captive audience for about 15 minutes listening to the Towers. As Dark Ranger suggested, I tried to take their tastes into account as much as possible. My playlist was as follows:

- Money For Nothing (Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms SACD) This is a great one to just knock their socks off.

- I Don't Know Why (Norah Jones, Come Away With Me SACD) Something soft after Money For Nothing to show the range of the Towers. A strong female vocal recording is a must in any listening session.

- Walking in Memphis (Marc Cohn) Everyone loves this song and it sounds fantastic.

- Some Nights (Fun.) I played this one for the youngsters in the crowd and they were blown away by how much better a song can sound when it's not being played on their iPhones.

It was a successful session and most were really floored by the power and presence of the Towers.

Ken

pierreterrier
11-06-2013, 05:03 AM
Glad to hear a good time was had by all Ken. Pierre.

petmotel
11-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Hi Jay,

I'd love to know your choices for both stereo and multi-channel. These would be different for me as well.

Thanks,
Ken

This really is a tough question because you need to take into account the demographics, and genre preferences of your audience.

That said, for a stereo demo it'd be hard to beat Joe Cocker's "Unchain My Heart" as a serious rocker that has it all top to bottom. Great dynamics, bass, treble, horns, male vocal, female vocal, rockabilly piano, great drum track, very nice bass guitar, lead guitar, etc... Very well recorded for a mainstream rock title.

Although I'm mostly a jazz fan these days, I think my pick for an awesome multi-channel track would be something out of the AIX catalog, something like chapter four of "Moonlight Acoustica", which showcases the amazing imaging abilities of the Ascend ensemble in addition to their dynamic, and detail prowess. I love when a multi-track images an instrument in space between the front and rear speakers where the sound seems to just come out of nowhere.

Jay

bilrus61
09-25-2015, 09:24 PM
Old thread but I'll play.........Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue by the London Festival orchestra 1966. Everyone knows it they don't know how great it sounds with the RAAL towers.......

Jaybeez
03-12-2020, 08:25 PM
Easy one for me ... "Echoes" from Pink Floyd's Meddle album

billy p
03-24-2020, 10:45 AM
If only one on my current system...APC>Thirteenth Step "The Noose"

Jorgen87
11-11-2020, 07:26 AM
I listen to many musical genres. I have thousands of tracks in my playlist. But only one I am ready to listen without stopping: AC/DC Back in Black.

davef
11-12-2020, 11:20 PM
I listen to many musical genres. I have thousands of tracks in my playlist. But only one I am ready to listen without stopping: AC/DC Back in Black.

Arguably, the greatest rock n roll album of all time :)

Jorgen87
11-26-2020, 09:50 AM
What is your favorite song from this album? :)

PersonalTriumph
10-06-2021, 08:59 PM
Earth, Wind, & Fire - Let's Groove. Most subtle punch-you-in-the-gut bass you'll ever hear.

Pogre
10-07-2021, 10:03 AM
I think "Pneuma" by Tool works pretty well for showing off a speaker. It has a little bit of everything from soft and subtle to heavy and in your face. Coming from a drumming background I'm a little biased toward percussion and they do a fantastic job of mic'ing and recording Danny's playing.

davef
10-07-2021, 04:14 PM
Earth, Wind, & Fire - Let's Groove. Most subtle punch-you-in-the-gut bass you'll ever hear.

True story...

So during my time as an engineer at M&K Sound, I was often in the production area working on subwoofer amplifiers. Every subwoofer on our production line was tested and then quickly listened to.

The song used for listening to each and every sub?

Let's Groove.

Back in those days, we (M&K) would often manufacture as many as 30-40 subs per day and no matter where you were in the near 50,000 sq foot facility, that bass line was heard throughout.

That bass line is forever stuck in my head, on repeat... :eek:

PersonalTriumph
10-07-2021, 10:35 PM
True story...

So during my time as an engineer at M&K Sound, I was often in the production area working on subwoofer amplifiers. Every subwoofer on our production line was tested and then quickly listened to.

The song used for listening to each and every sub?

Let's Groove.

Back in those days, we (M&K) would often manufacture as many as 30-40 subs per day and no matter where you were in the near 50,000 sq foot facility, that bass line was heard throughout.

That bass line is forever stuck in my head, on repeat... :eek:

So on my first post as a new forum member (and soon to be Sierra 2EX owner) I gave the owner of the company an earworm! Nice! 😂

davef
10-08-2021, 05:09 PM
So on my first post as a new forum member (and soon to be Sierra 2EX owner) I gave the owner of the company an earworm! Nice! ��

Ha - and just for old times sake, I put Let's Groove on here at the office today - that was a mistake. I had to move on to some Soen to try and get the bass line out of my head.

I will say that Let's Groove sounds fantastic on Sierra-2EX!!

For our progressive rock fans, be sure to check out Soen.

davef
10-08-2021, 05:34 PM
I think "Pneuma" by Tool works pretty well for showing off a speaker. It has a little bit of everything from soft and subtle to heavy and in your face. Coming from a drumming background I'm a little biased toward percussion and they do a fantastic job of mic'ing and recording Danny's playing.

I have been listening to a lot of Tool lately. I hope to see them on their upcoming tour ( it would be my first time seeing them live )

SunByrne
10-09-2021, 08:32 AM
I have been listening to a lot of Tool lately. I hope to see them on their upcoming tour ( it would be my first time seeing them live )

Does that mean there's more Tool on the server in Ascend's listening room? :p

I'm currently working on learning the bass line for "The Pot" and it's... a challenge.

petmotel
10-10-2021, 10:50 PM
Ha - and just for old times sake, I put Let's Groove on here at the office today - that was a mistake. I had to move on to some Soen to try and get the bass line out of my head.

Quarter to 1 probably isn't the best time to check out this band, especially Lumerian. The beginning sounds like a machine gun! I enjoyed it, the sleeping wife probably not so much LOL!

Jay

Pogre
10-11-2021, 06:59 AM

You listen to Soen?? They're like a prog metal act right? I just discovered them about a year ago and really got into their album, "Cognitive".

Pogre
10-11-2021, 07:01 AM

And you listen to TOOL??? They're hands down my favorite band!

*Edit: Chances are if you're a fan you've seen this already but ima share it anyway.

https://youtu.be/FssULNGSZIA

It's a drum cam video of Danny playing Pneuma live and he knocks it out of the park. It's a great demonstration of his playing style and easy to see why they call him "the octopus".

racrawford65
10-11-2021, 11:40 AM
Yeah, Dave has good taste in music...Tool, Maiden, and at one time he also posted he was rocking to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath....

davef
10-11-2021, 03:22 PM
Does that mean there's more Tool on the server in Ascend's listening room? :p

I'm currently working on learning the bass line for "The Pot" and it's... a challenge.

We have the following Tool on our Server:

10,000 Days
Fear Inoculum
Lateralus
Undertow

davef
10-11-2021, 03:23 PM
You listen to Soen?? They're like a prog metal act right? I just discovered them about a year ago and really got into their album, "Cognitive".

Yep, Prog Metal - Cognitive is fantastic, their best IMO.

davef
10-11-2021, 03:34 PM
And you listen to TOOL??? They're hands down my favorite band!

*Edit: Chances are if you're a fan you've seen this already but ima share it anyway.

https://youtu.be/FssULNGSZIA

It's a drum cam video of Danny playing Pneuma live and he knocks it out of the park. It's a great demonstration of his playing style and easy to see why they call him "the octopus".

Yes, I have watched this before - several times actually. With the unfortunate loss of Neil Peart, I think Carey has taken over the reigns of world's best living drummer.

Pogre
10-12-2021, 05:58 AM
Yep, Prog Metal - Cognitive is fantastic, their best IMO.

You listen to my kind of music! No wonder your speakers sound so good playing it! The mention of Soen really surprised me because they're not exactly a well known band, but they're really pretty good and I hear shades of Tool in their music. I discovered them on Amazon HD music a little over a year ago and played the crap out of a couple of their albums, but Cognitive is the one that really grabbed me. How cool.

I agree also that Danny just might be the best drummer alive right now, but there are a few out there. I've been getting into Meshuggah a little bit lately and Thomas Haake is a pretty special talent also. I have to be in the right mood for Meshuggah tho. They're about as heavy a band as I can get into with the screamy/guttural vocals, but they're a talented group otherwise.

https://youtu.be/bAJ1WTGNISk

He does a 32nd note double bass "gallop" all through that song.

davef
10-12-2021, 11:59 PM
You listen to my kind of music! No wonder your speakers sound so good playing it! The mention of Soen really surprised me because they're not exactly a well known band, but they're really pretty good and I hear shades of Tool in their music. I discovered them on Amazon HD music a little over a year ago and played the crap out of a couple of their albums, but Cognitive is the one that really grabbed me. How cool.

I listen to tons of different music these days. I have taken full advantage of Spotify's new feature that finally allows for offline listening from an apple watch. I just have Spotify create a random mix based on whatever genre I am into that day. If I hear something I like, I then download the entire album from that particular artist onto my apple watch and that is my music during my 90 minute daily workout / physical therapy session. I make sure my phone is NOT on me - it is my daily 90 minute DO NOT DISTURB ME routine ;)

I listen to a minimum of one album I have never listened to before per day.

This evening was the album "Mandylion" from a band called The Gathering. Similar style to Lacuna Coil and Evanescence, terrific female vocalist.

If you get a chance, check out Katatonia

Meshuggah is too heavy for my tastes, I don't like screaming vocals but that double bass is impressive.

Mag_Neato
10-13-2021, 05:16 AM
For a quiet listening session, try Anette Askvik: Liberty.
Also listening to some Allan Taylor and Hans Theesink

For some fun techno stuff, I like Yello's Toy CD!

davef
10-14-2021, 12:07 AM
For a quiet listening session, try Anette Askvik: Liberty.
Also listening to some Allan Taylor and Hans Theesink

For some fun techno stuff, I like Yello's Toy CD!

Listening to Liberty right now, very relaxing - just what the Dr. ordered for a late night listening session :)

Thanks for the recommendation!

Mag_Neato
10-14-2021, 10:20 AM
Listening to Liberty right now, very relaxing - just what the Dr. ordered for a late night listening session :)

Thanks for the recommendation!

Glad you enjoyed it!:cool:

MusicHead
10-14-2021, 07:10 PM
Oh, my, that voice and the sax in "Liberty"! Reminded me once more why I love the midrange of my CMT-340SE mains.

Excellent recommendation, thanks!

Outlaw Cajon
12-06-2021, 06:04 AM
Okay I'll bite...Virtue from Jesse Cook's Free Fall CD....it has these cymbals you can faintly hear in the background. Before auditioning my Sierra 1's ...I never really noticed that song on my other speakers...what does that tell you about the Ascends. But IMO prudy much anything Jesse Cook sounds sweet....the Ascends really complement his style of playing.

Great guitarist!! :cool: Thanks for mentioning, Billy! I need to grab one of his CDs today to play!

Outlaw Cajon
12-06-2021, 06:32 AM
Robert Gordon w/Link Wray from the LP, 'Fresh Fish Special' - "The Way I Walk"
Solid vocals, guitar, bass, and drums!! It's the very first song I played when I hooked up my new Sierra Towers w/ RAAL Ribbons! I was floored! And, No subwoofer! Even, my wife paid attention, and she's rather passive when it comes to music.
This is definitely a really fun record - the entire record, to show off the Ascends! Just wait for, "Twenty Flight Rock"!!! :cool:

I think there are some really great choices! I know that when I was notified my Sierra Towers had shipped back in November 2020, I was trying to decide what I wanted to listen to first. Not an easy decision. I was getting ready to disconnect my Paradigm Monitor 7 V. 5 towers that were also connected to my Mirage subwoofer. It was a nice marriage that had been working quite well since around 2009 for my 2 channel front end!
No question; it was a leap of faith to buy new towers (end game speakers for me) that had 5.25" woofers!! My Paradigm's have 5.25" woofers!! Seems like a rather lateral move!!
I had already considered several brands that offered towers with 6" & 8" woofers! I spent months shopping. Not to mention; my budget started at about $1,500 for a pair! Even one or two brands had a subwoofer built into the tower. To shorten a long story; after about 30 (Yes, 30!) emails between David and myself, I decided to buy the Ascends! Glad I did, too!!

- Greg