PDA

View Full Version : Sub necessary for music?

mikekam9280
09-10-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm going to be picking up the Sierra Towers with RAAL this holiday season and I'm about 50/50 for home theater vs. music. I'm also trying to decide between a Rythmik FV15HP and an SVS PC13 Ultra subwoofer.

Do the Sierra Towers have enough low end response to not need a sub when listening to music? Most subs are usually geared toward HT or Music and I'd like to go for full on HT unless the Sierra Towers are lacking in the bass department.

Any thoughts?

-Mike

natetg57
09-10-2013, 07:54 PM
I'd say go with the Rythmik. It'll be awesome for music AND movies.
What kind of music do you like? I personally prefer to keep my sub on. (15" Sealed Rythmik with Sierra-1's) Some of my music probably doesn't need a sub but others definitely do IMO such as Saint Sains Organ symphony, Daft Punk, Phoenix, Stephen Wilson...etc

pierreterrier
09-11-2013, 05:28 AM
Mike

This is part of a review of my set up I made in July on the tower thread:

Now, the Towers, WOW!

I mean right off the bat the thing that floored me was the bass. An absolutely unbelievable bass, definition and power, that defies imagination when you look at the small size of the woofers! I still can't believe it. I never have to hook up the sub from my 5.1 setup. It completely satisfies me without it. In fact for music it is SO MUCH BETTER without. Of course my reference Marantz and the VPI Classic both aim at producing great bass, so actually I can only speak of my specific set up, but it is truly remarkable, a powerful bass that will rock the house with a definition I have never heard in bass before.

Jonathan Teller (I believe that's his name) also was making the same sort of claims about the bass with the new custom order speakers he just got from Dave.

A sub is never a waste of money if you can spare it but in the case of the towers for music I really find it hard to listen to any album that would really benefit from it. The only ones that would come to mind are the very poorly recorded albums where the bass is really heavy, over prevalent and muddy hence that would take some of the load off the woofers if you played them at a very loud volume, but that wouldn't really be to benefit the sound of the towers, more just to alleviate some possible stress on the woofers is all. Hope that helps.

You are in for a gigantic treat with the raals too, believe this old guy who's heard plenty of music!