PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum and to the hobby. Hello from SoCal - Yorba Linda

Drew888
08-22-2013, 11:48 AM
I recently upgraded my 10+ year old Paradigm Monitor 7 5.1 system and replaced them with Sierra 1's! I am very pleased so far.

My Onkyo 805 has been great but I recently lost an HDMI input so I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade that as well. A Yamaha 1030 should be delivered on Monday.

Other HT gear; Oppo BDP83, Toshiba HDDVD, and vtf-3 mk3.

Anyway, I'm excited to have kicked it up a notch!

Next is another post for setup help and advice on placement/room acoustics.

Drew

Mag_Neato
08-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Welcome to the Ascend family, Drew!

You should have many years of enjoyment from your new speakers!

Drew888
08-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Thank you. I'm very much looking forward to it.

The next thing I went to do was to search music recommendations and found plenty here and ended up spending $150 on my first few. Receiver arrives Monday and I've warned the wife and kids that I'll be a little preoccupied in the evenings next week ;)

curtis
08-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Welcome Drew.

If you ever want to drive out west on the 91 and hear another Sierra-1 setup(with a Rythmik F15HP), let me know. :)

Drew888
08-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Many thanks Curtis... I just may.

After I spend next week setting up/playing with my new receiver I may have a few quesitons for ya.

curtis
08-23-2013, 02:36 PM
No problem...

There are many here that can answer your questions.

mikekam9280
08-26-2013, 07:26 AM
So after many months of research I've decided to move away from my initial idea of purchasing the Paradigm Studio series in lieu of the Sierra Lineup. Every time I would do some research on the Paradigms, or Salks, or almost any other brand I would always see a shout-out to Ascend Sierra's.

I was a little put off at first by the price because I couldn't imagine a company could really compete when there was a few thousand dollar difference between them. But all the forums rave about these towers so I'm going to do it.

In the coming months I'll be getting:

Sierra 1 towers with RAAL upgrade
Sierra Horizon with RAAL upgrade
Paradigm Studio ADP 590's for surround and rears
Marantz AV7001
Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-5
Oppo BDP-105
Keeping my JBL ES250 sub.

Would you stay with the Paradigm Studio 100's and CC-690 or make the switch to Sierra?

-Mike

Drew888
08-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Hey there Mike,

I have a relative that is really into HT. I remember steering him toward Paradigm's a while ago and he currently has a Studio 60 set up. His son came to visit me this past weekend and the moment he entered my family room he went silent and sat in the speaker sweet spot to have a listen. I have the standard Sierra's and was playing the Rosa Pasos / John Carter CD (highly recommend it) at the time. His next comment was that they sound better than his Dad's and he wanted to know what they were and how much I paid.

I'm thrilled to have found Ascend Acoustics and excited to someday have a RAAL version.

mikekam9280
08-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks Drew...very good to hear.