PDA

View Full Version : Which sub for movies

M4rtin
07-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Hello, I'm trying to find a sub that would work for my big room.
TV stand with Sierra-1s will stand in middle of room, dividing it into two separate rooms so to say, living room and dining room.
This is a townhouse connected on kitchen side to a neighbour, so I cannot go crazy loud, I want to go SQ for movies, with nice warm rich sound.
I'm a bass head, and I love nice deep base, that fills entire house, but I gotta have restrains, so the neighbor doesn't feel like he has a movie theater next to him :)

My original budget was for LV12R, but that quickly went out the window :P
I could maybe bump it up to F12 or F15, but I have no clue what I would be paying extra for, and if it won't be overkill.

Here's my house plan.

jamesg
07-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Hi Martin, based on the floor plan diagram you provided, it appears that the space you're trying to fill is rather large (17' ceiling if I read it correctly, plus the open floor plan). We usually recommend at least a 15" sub (or dual subs) for a room that large. As with everything, there are compromises, so I can't speak for your situation with your neighbor and whether that will cause you problems. Perhaps you should start small with the LV12R and take it for a test drive, see if that is sufficient and still respectful of your neighbor. Or you could jump right into the F15 and just be careful about it. With the LV12R, you could always add another down the road if you find that one isn't doing the job.

M4rtin
07-30-2013, 03:34 PM
It's actually 11' wide, 26' long and 9' tall, if measured both the living room and dining room.
The (17') I have no clue what that dimension is for, maybe 2 extra feet if measured only length of living room with bay window, adding that extra 2 feet for bay window opening.

jamesg
07-30-2013, 03:54 PM
OK, thanks Martin, the diagram is bit blurry on my screen. Nonetheless, at nearly 3000 sq. ft., we characterize that as a large room befitting a larger sub. All things being equal, of course! If there's one thing more important than quality sound in this world, and I'm not saying there is, it would be peace and harmony among neighbors. :cool:

M4rtin
07-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Ok, so could you explain me what would be the benefit of going from LV12R to F12 and even to F15 ?
Are we talking SQ or output ?
I know nothing about subs so I would like to make the right decission.
Can subs be turned down on output but still keep their SQ ?

jamesg
07-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Since the LV12R is ported, you will have deeper bass response and is preferable if you want the rumbling bass for HT. The F12 and F15 subs are sealed, so the sound is tighter, more suited for audio in general but also acceptable for HT but with less output. The LV12R is comparable in output to the F15. All Rythmik subs have a volume control so you can set at an appropriate level. I still think the LV12R will give you the best of both worlds and at a reasonable price.

M4rtin
07-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks, can LV12R be custom ordered in Piano black ?

davef
07-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks, can LV12R be custom ordered in Piano black ?

Sorry, it is not available in Piano black...