PDA

View Full Version : Possible to upgrade older F15 Sub?

AMG_Roadster
06-06-2013, 01:33 PM
I purchased an F15 sub from Ascend right about the time they first started carrying them back in '08. I see there is now an F15HP. Is it possible to upgrade my existing sub to the F15HP and is it a worthwhile upgrade?

If I was shopping now I would seriously lean towards the F15HPV but I have a hang up on replacing a completely good subwoofer.

I would however like a greater presence from the sub.

curtis
06-07-2013, 09:00 AM
I purchased an F15 sub from Ascend right about the time they first started carrying them back in '08. I see there is now an F15HP. Is it possible to upgrade my existing sub to the F15HP and is it a worthwhile upgrade?

If I was shopping now I would seriously lean towards the F15HPV but I have a hang up on replacing a completely good subwoofer.

I would however like a greater presence from the sub.
Yes, it can be upgraded. It would need a new driver and amp, both pretty easy to replace.

AMG_Roadster
06-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks Curtis.

I was doing some research (which I probably should have done before posting) and from what I saw the DS1505 is not a huge upgrade over the DS1501. I am guessing the F15's came with the DS1500 and am wondering how much of an improvement swapping the amp and driver will yield. Plus the parts look fairly pricey so I am wondering if it is worth it. Or if I would really be better off simply replacing the whole sub.

I wonder what the market is like for a used F15 sub and if there are any B stock FV15HP's hidden someplace.

curtis
06-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Yeah...from the F15 to F15HP is mainly an upgrade in output. Some also think the F15 sounds better than the F15HP.

How big is your room? Do you feel like you need more output down low?

AMG_Roadster
06-07-2013, 12:29 PM
The room is 20x13x9 but opens to the rest of the house. The sub could use more output down low and a bigger presence. I turned up the gain and we how that impacts my thinking. While on the second floor (sub is on the main level) I notice the sub much more. I expected complaints from the wife but so far there are none.

All of the other settings should be as recommended on the quick reference guide.

I would rather not spend the money on a new sub if I can avoid it but the bug has bit to build out/upgrade the HT setup. Too bad I do not have a dedicated room.

curtis
06-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Another option is a second F15.

No complaints? Then you need to push it! :)

AMG_Roadster
06-07-2013, 02:15 PM
There were no complaints with her watching TV and controlling the remote. Now when I put on something to watch it is a different story.

I spoke too soon about the the wife not complaining. I have started to hear it.

With the gain turned up the subwoofer I can now hear the subwoofer...not a good setting.

AMG_Roadster
06-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Dina informed me that Rythmik does not offer an upgrade for the sub. I can purchase the 600W amp but there is no driver upgrade option.

So I guess I need to decide if I want to live with the current sub, add a 2nd F15, or try and sell my F15 and replace it with either the FV15HP or another sub.

To hold me over I think I am going to purchase a pair of HTM-200SE's to use as wide speakers. Does not address the bass issue but may scratch the upgrade itch.