PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

curtis
09-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Wow...no suggestions?

-curtis

Bighitter
09-11-2003, 10:17 AM
There is some weird happenings with the cookies on this board as I check daily and this is the first time I have seen this post.

My suggestion and what I will probably be doing myself is getting the pioneer 563a for now and then when the universal DVI players are out or HD universal players I will upgrade then. I am going with a HTPC for the visual end so that makes my choice easier.

curtis
09-11-2003, 10:25 AM
The cookies seem to be working ok for me.

I have leaning towards the 563a as well. Would be nice to be able to do DVD-A and SACD on a HTPC.

-curtis

smokey
09-12-2003, 01:51 AM
I would love to hear your opinions on the 563a if you get it. It truly seems like the obvious choice for an inexpensive all-in-one.

Get shopping! [:D]

-Smokey

Thanks, the Management.

curtis
09-12-2003, 03:22 AM
Yeah...I will probably pick at 563a this weekend if I have time. BradJudy has one too....but he won't get to listen to it much in the next couple of weeks.

A moment of silence please for Johnny Cash and John Ritter.

-curtis

curtis
09-14-2003, 02:08 AM
OK, I picked up the Pioneer 563a a couple of nights ago.

So far, I like it, but keep in mind, I really do not know any better. The DVD-A performance seems to be like the CP72. I only have one SACD disc.

I will say that most of the hi-rez discs that I do have sound great to me. The use of the channels is so important.

I paid $179 at BestBuys. At the very least, I think this is a good way to get introduced into hi-rez/multichannel music. This will probably last me until I decide on getting a high def TV with DVI input, then I will get a player that can do DVI as well.

-curtis

Bighitter
09-14-2003, 04:50 AM
Good deal curtis. Let us know if you find anything you dont like. I may pick this up this week.

curtis
09-14-2003, 08:11 AM
The only thing that I do not like is the 563a does not have test tones for setting the channel levels. My CP72 had that. I guess I will have to look for a DVD-A/SACD setup disc.

-curtis

AjayRav
09-18-2003, 07:35 AM
Hi Curtis,

You might want to consider the new Denon 2200 Universal. It lists for about $600 and is apparently really good. I've actually got my eye on that! I probably will still continue to use my Marantz DVD player for video and Marantz CD changer for stereo, and will use it primarily for SACDs and DVD-A.

Ajay

curtis
09-18-2003, 08:02 AM
Ajay,

I have thought about that. But at almost 3 times the cost of the Pioneer 563a, I am not sure I want to do it. Also modwright.com is working on mods for the Pioneer.....I'm sure they will do it with the Denon too.

Also, I have heard that the DACs on the Pioneer are the same ones used on the Denon.

Right now I am very happy with the 563a. The bass management on my HK525 takes care of the bass management issues with the 563a. It all seems to work well. I do not have anyplans to return it,

-curtis

Ben_Wood
10-10-2003, 07:41 AM
Just placed an order with Crutchfield for the Denon DVP-2200 universal player. Boy, I can't wait to finally hear my DVD-As in Hi-Rez (instead of merely dts and DD)! [:D]

curtis
10-15-2003, 12:06 PM
Hi All,

I have been touting the Pioneer 563a. Well, I want to add some caution to that. This post was brought to my attention today:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163895

With those crossover points in the 563a's bass management, you would only want to use the player if you have bass management on the 5.1 analog inputs on your pre/pro or receiver(or external like an ICBM).

-curtis

Ben_Wood
10-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Got the Denon DVD-2200 Tues. pm. So far I'm very pleased with it. I still need to do a lot of reading in the owner's manual. So far the only complaint I have is the lack of a screen-saver, @ $600 I feel that this should be a standard feature. I'm working way too much this week and won't have much spare time to get into the menus and set up until next Wed. at the earliest.

BradJudy
10-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Curtis,

Yeah, if I had more than 2 multichannel music discs I would consider picking up an ICBM, but for now it isn't worth it.

dirtold
10-20-2003, 08:31 AM
I dont know if anyone gets Sight and Sound but there is a review of the 563a in the current issue. I just received it today. As you would expect it is positive since Pioneer is a big advertiser. Not that it means that is a bad unit, just that we need some more opinions.

Mike Miruski

Budman
02-23-2004, 02:22 PM
I recently picked up the 563a at Best Buy. I've read the instruction manual but it's a bit unclear in one area. Maybe Curtis or one of the other 563a owners could chirp in.

I'm using an HK 525 receiver and my question revolve around how I am supposed to hook up the audio for the 563. It's clear that there are 3 inputs:
1. 5.1 Multi-Channel Inputs
2. Digital Coaxial Cable
3. Optical Cable

Obviously I will want to use the 5.1 inputs so I can take advantage of DVD-A/SACD tunes. So, If I'm already using the 5.1 inputs for multi-channel media, do I still need to connect the Optical or Coaxial cables for standard CD Audio and DVD's?

curtis
02-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Budman,

I have my 563a hooked up three ways:

For SACD/DVD-A, I use the 5.1 inputs, and let the HK525 handle the bass management.

For DVD movies, I use the optical digital connection.

And for CD's I use the regular L/R RCA's. I could also use the digital connection, but choose not two because the the HK's "dropout" issue with some CD's.

I really like this universal player and really do not see myself changing it until after I get a HDTV and decide to use a digital connection for video.

-curtis

Budman
02-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'll go about it in the same way.

Budman
02-23-2004, 03:33 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

Budman,

I have my 563a hooked up three ways:

For SACD/DVD-A, I use the 5.1 inputs, and let the HK525 handle the bass management.

For DVD movies, I use the optical digital connection.

And for CD's I use the regular L/R RCA's. I could also use the digital connection, but choose not two because the the HK's "dropout" issue with some CD's.

I really like this universal player and really do not see myself changing it until after I get a HDTV and decide to use a digital connection for video.

-curtis

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

As long as we are in the appropriate forum I guess I'll ask you another question.

When talking about when you get an HDTV and referring to a digital connection, I assume you mean DVI. Will DVI make a big difference over over component inputs on an HDTV?

I figured that I'd hold off on another 2 years or so until blue ray technology(~29GB per DVD or 2 Hours of 1080i) is mainstream and 1080i DVD's are available.

Mag_Neato
03-23-2004, 05:07 AM
I saw the 563a advertised at Best Buy for $149! My Panny A310(5 yrs old) has started doing naughty things(freezing/pixelization)on certain occasions. I normally do not experience any glitches, but am concerned that if I spend money elsewhere(sub,speakers,etc.)the DVD will unceremoniously take a dump on me! I have an Outlaw 1050 receiver. There is bass management through the standard inputs(analog/digital)but not thru the 5.1 direct. Would the 563a be a good choice NOW even if I did not utilize it's SACD/DVD-A capabilities?

MAG

JohnnyCasaba
03-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Mag,

If all you need is just a regular prog scan DVD player, look at the Toshiba 3950($59.99 at Best Buy) or 3960($69.99 at Sears). Guys at Audio Asylum have been raving about the redbook playback on these relatively cheap DVD players.

Mag_Neato
03-23-2004, 01:30 PM
My bad! I looked at the Outlaw's manual when I got home from job#1, and I found out that the DIRECT function is 6.1.....not 5.1, and if I manually activate the 6.1 mode while in DIRECT mode the 1050 WILL do bass management. Maybe SACD & DVD-A are possible after all. Thanks for the recommendation anyways. It's always good to hear what is being talked-up as a good value.

MAG

curtis
03-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Are you sure?

Direct usually means no bass management.

I have a 563a, and love it, but my HK525 does do bass management on the analog 5.1 connection.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
03-23-2004, 01:51 PM
'Evening, Curtis! The direct IS 5.1.....I have the manual in front of me. This is a direct quote from the manual;"Note, however, that bypassing the DSP also means bypassing the 1050's bass management. If you select Surround 6.1, the DSP and bass management will be active for the 5.1 Channel Direct input." Interesting, huh!? I guess it's not direct Analog then, since the DSP would be in the path, but it would give me something!

MAG

curtis
03-23-2004, 01:56 PM
worth a shot!

-curtis

Mag_Neato
03-24-2004, 05:32 AM
Well, I stopped by Best Buy Today during my lunch hour to check out the 563a. Pretty nice machine....in appearance! Of course it was not hooked up to anything(not even a power cord on back!). The sales clerk(kid) assured me he had heard/seen the thing playing and that it was a very good player. The $149 price is good through Saturday(27th), and if you purchase it, you can choose a free SACD or DVD-A disc from some preselected assortment...did not have time to check out titles. I have a friend who works at one of the other Best Buys about an hour away, and is checking on what his cost would be........

MAG

Gregisme
03-25-2004, 01:21 AM
www.onecall.com has this player for $149.10 and that includes shipping. Since you still have to add tax to the Best Buy price, this is the better deal UNLESS you find a multi-channel disc that you want from Best Buy's offered selection.

Mag_Neato
03-25-2004, 02:34 AM
Every penny counts, eh! Especially today when I have to spend over $400 on a car repair[xx(] But, if my friend who works at Best Buy can use their discount it would end up cheaper that way[;)]

MAG

Mag_Neato
03-26-2004, 12:49 AM
Well....I saw my friend who works at Best Buy!
There's no way I could get a better price on the 563a
unless I bought one used in a year or two[:D] It was a
MUCH better deal than I expected. I will probably pick one up
very soon. The markup on wire/cables is insane, so I may pick up
a set of cables for the 5.1 output also!

MAG

Mag_Neato
04-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Curtis,

I finally came to a decision and picked up a 563a! My friend at Best Buy had moral issues about using his discount against their store policy, so I let him off the hook! I found Circuit City had an online price of $139.98 which did not even appear in their store database. The clerk looked it up on their website and adjusted the price accordingly. Ok, now to the real question! What would be a good first SACD/DVD-A title to start off with? I have heard different recording techniques can have a dramatic effect on the final listening experience.

Thanks,

MAG

curtis
04-19-2004, 03:34 AM
Pink Floyd - DSOTM is always recommended, but I do not have it yet.
My current favorite DVD-A is from the Blue Man Group.
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People, I like a lot as well.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
04-19-2004, 04:43 AM
Those sound like good choices. I hear the Hotel California DVD-A is excellent as well as Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I have P/F DSOTM on regular cd, as well as their live "Pulse" cd...wonder how big an improvement over these would there be!

MAG

curtis
04-19-2004, 07:26 AM
For some, they will not think the multi-channel experience is an improvement. The resolution of the sound is nicer though.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
04-19-2004, 11:35 PM
I want to thank Curtis and all 563a owners who posted their thoughts here! It helped me decide to purchase one. My aging Panasonic A310 has always performed well, but had pixelation/freeze up issues with certain discs my wife/kids checked out from the library. I was not 100% sure a new player would resolve this, thinking that a bad/scratched disc would give any player the same problem. Well....I tried playing a library disc that had these issues, with the Panny, in the Pioneer and....ta-da...it played through the bad scenes without a problem.
VINDICATION is SWEET!! So thanks again all.

MAG

Mag_Neato
05-03-2004, 03:59 AM
Since I purchased my 563a, I came across some info regarding certain DVD-A discs which are reportedly unable to play in the Pioneer unit. This only seems to affect the 563a due to a firmware issue within the player which cannot read discs which were recorded using a specific encoder. Has anyone experienced this and with what discs?

MAG

Mag_Neato
05-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Curtis,
I was wondering how you have your 563a's speaker setup configured to feed your 525(i.e. everything large w/sub etc.) so the bass management in the receiver functions properly. I hooked everything up to my Outlaw per usual. When I set speakers to all small with sub on I get bass from sub(with or without 6.1 mode engaged). With all speakers set to large with sub on I get nothing from the sub. If I cannot set everything to large w/sub, than the x-over for DVD-A is 200hz thru the 563a....much too high to get any kind of blending of speakers/sub. I am working with tech support @ Outlaw about this as well- they initially suggested the all speakers large w/sub setting with the receiver in 5.1 direct and 6.1 surround engaged. As I stated above that cut out the sub. I'm waiting for their next suggestion. Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks

MAG

curtis
05-04-2004, 11:45 PM
MAG,

I have the speakers on the 563a set to large and let the 525 handle the bass management.

Most receivers do not perform bass management on the 5.1 inputs.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
05-05-2004, 12:32 AM
That's what I thought. Do you have the sub set to on as well, or does the receiver extract the bass from the large speakers?

MAG

curtis
05-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Yes...the sub is on. Remember, in a 5.1 recording, sometimes there is dedicated bass sent to the .1 channel. On top of that, bass below the crossover setting is also routed to the sub.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
05-05-2004, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the fast response! I meant is the 563a set to have the sub on?(Sorry!)

MAG

curtis
05-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Definitely set the sub to "on" with the 563a.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
05-05-2004, 01:51 AM
Okay! Just got off the phone w/Outlaw tech support. They have a 1050 on hand, will set up my scenario there, and let me know what they find! According to them it should work. They did elude to the 1050's replacement as being a 7 channel design employing features unheard of in most receivers. Also it would be a very "Sharp design"!(Insert Boston accent!).

MAG

curtis
05-05-2004, 02:36 AM
No more receivers for me....my move to seperates will be complete soon. I just ordered a Sherwood/Newcastle P-965.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
05-05-2004, 03:36 AM
Sweet machine! Saw it a reliableaudio.com on sale for $1,295.00.......if I only had disposable income:(

MAG

davef
05-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Hi Guys,

Just so you know... The Sherwood Newcastle separates are, in a word, excellent! Curtis.. please let us know what you paid for it, we can match or beat it for you if you like. We don't advertise it, but we are a Newcastle dealer :)

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

Mag_Neato
05-06-2004, 03:37 AM
What will become of the 525[?]

MAG

curtis
05-06-2004, 04:13 AM
For now...my Parents get it. They only have a two-channel receiver right now.

They are setting up their HT....50" DLP HDTV, and will be ordering 3 CMT-340's for the front.

BTW...I did not have to "push" the 340's on them...they heard them and wanted them. [:)]

I am actually quite surprised that they are doing all this for their livingroom. They are in thier 60's and healthy, so my Mom wants to enjoy this stuff now. She said to me yesterday "we are spending your and your brothers' inheritance".

-curtis

Mag_Neato
05-06-2004, 05:50 AM
Well Curtis...you are correct in stating that "most receivers do not do bass management through the 5.1 direct inputs". Aparantly the Outlaw 1050 does not either. Their tech support guy called me this afternoon. He attempted to get it to do what I thought it would do ACCORDING to the manual, and could not get it to work. He found out that was a misprint in earlier manuals.....SOAB!! I guess an ICBM or new receiver w/analog direct bass mgmnt. is in my future.(As Homer Simpson says: Doh!)

MAG

curtis
05-06-2004, 06:21 AM
hehehehe....call Ascend and see if you can get a good price on a HK 630 or Sherwood/Newcastle R-865 receiver.....

-curtis

Mag_Neato
05-06-2004, 11:05 PM
The most cost-effective solution would be an ICBM for $249! I cannot make any more audio gear purchases at least for the next 11 months though. I don't have the income to support frequent upgrades, at least until my wife finishes nursing school in 2 1/2 years. With a mortgage, car payments, tuition for wife & two kids in private school, etc., etc. I can feel the noose tightening!

MAG

Gregisme
05-08-2004, 03:03 AM
Where's Titanium Man when you need him?!! [:p]

Mag_Neato
05-09-2004, 09:05 PM
We didn't have a strong enough "attraction"[:D]

MAG

Mag_Neato
05-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Well, Curtis.....did you get the new pre/pro? If so, how do you like it?

MAG

Mag_Neato
05-13-2004, 04:02 AM
Curtis......?

MAG

curtis
05-13-2004, 04:31 AM
I got the P-965 hooked up late two nights ago. Spent most of yesterday listening and goofing around with it.

I think it does sound different than my HK525 did as a pre/pro. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, the sound is "quieter"..if that makes sense.....maybe "airy" is the word....a bit more depth.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
05-13-2004, 04:42 AM
A "525 Lite"!(Kermit laughing!) Does "Less congested" make a fitting description too?

MAG

delling001
05-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Hello davef,

So, you are a Sherwood Newcastle dealer as well as an H/K dealership? By chance are there other lines (that you don't advertise) you carry dealership for that might be valuable to know about?

Thanks!

Dave

Lou-the-dog
07-18-2004, 02:58 AM
A universal player is on my wish list now so I thought I'd revive this thread. Is the Pioneer model discussed earlier still the best buy? Any other options released recently that I should look at?

Randy

curtis
07-18-2004, 03:05 AM
Randy,

The Pioneer 563 has been replaced with the 578....same price point. Nothingelse available for that little amount of money.

There are new Samsungs out or due out, the 841 and 941 that are also inexpensive, but I do not know much about them.

-curtis

Mag_Neato
07-19-2004, 01:00 AM
If you can spend a bit more, Yamaha's S1500 is due to hit stores soon. It has a list price of around $399. It is supposed to have great video and audio performance. As Curtis mentioned, the 563a was replaced with the 578a for roughly the same price ($140 or so) and is currently the least expensive choice.

Ed

Mag_Neato
07-21-2004, 03:02 AM
I just saw the 578a at BB.....identical front panel except for some silk screened graphics(they put SACD/DVD-Audio above the drawer now), and they shortened the depth of the unit from front to back by about 1 1/2". They had the 578a stacked on top of the 563a so a direct comparison was simple.
it had a "sale price" of $141.00!

Ed

Lou-the-dog
07-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Hee Hee! Just as I logged onto this website I got a **** popup. How do they do that? Coincidence or by design? Anyhow they're trying to adverise to the wrong guy for sure.

Anyhow... thanks for the suggestions. I've been researching the models ya'll have suggested and they all hold possibilities. I'll have to get to the city to check the Pioneer and maybe the Samsung (if released) units out.

Question... I see the Samsung units are touted to upconvert to 720/1080 resolution. Will my HiDef Mits take advantage of this? I've been trying to follow the threads over at AVS but quickly went over my head.

Randy

graphicguy
07-22-2004, 01:31 AM
Lou:

Upconverting is a little "smoke and mirrors". While you may be playing any particular DVD as an "upconverted" image on your monitor, 480P is still the best image any DVD will put out. What you'll probably end up seeing is your monitor taking the 480P image and display it in either 720P or 1080i. That doesn't mean the DVD is capable of either, however. It's just being displayed that way.

The biggest improvement in picture quality seems to come from a digital DVI or HDMI connection, if your monitor and DVD player has them.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
Pioneer Elite 59AVi Universal DVD player
CBM 340 Front L/R
CBM 340c Center
HTM 200s Rear L/R and rear surround (6.1)
HSU VTF-3
Monster THX certified interconnects
DIY speaker cable (that's better than anyhing I can purchase elsewhere)

andyw
07-22-2004, 06:35 AM
When you use progressive output to get 480p out of your DVD player, you're almost always going to end up with an "upconverted" image, as very few TVs actually show a 480p imagine--most use 720p or 1080i, and upconvert the image from 480p themselves. All the Samsung DVD players are doing is handling the upconversion instead of leaving it up to the TV. Which unit handles the upconversion better is the only difference in quality, at that point.

As for picture quality differences between DVI and component, from what I've seen in reviews, there's almost no difference with most DVD players, but there ought to be.

graphicguy
07-22-2004, 09:15 AM
andy...actually, I see a significant improvement playing DVDs. But, as mentioned, that's mainly because of using the DVI/HDMI connection.

HD TV that's mastered and broadcast in 1080i is stunning. Most older shows (even those that are upconverted) and SD TV, may look better upconverted, still don't even approach the picture I get with DVDs.

Fact is, I don't even wathc SD anymore. If it isn't HD, I don't have any desire to watch it. Guees I'm spoiled.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
Pioneer Elite 59AVi Universal DVD player
CBM 340 Front L/R
CBM 340c Center
HTM 200s Rear L/R and rear surround (6.1)
HSU VTF-3
Monster THX certified interconnects
DIY speaker cable (that's better than anyhing I can purchase elsewhere)