PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

ats_phd
01-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Hi to everyone.

I just recently purchased and my first receiver, an Onkyo 818 and had Def Tech SM55 pair for some time. Those are now replaced with a pair of CB-170.

I do feel, the passive radiators from SM 55 was good in terms of bass, but i am liking the CB-170 better for overall performance. The mid and high are clean with CBM-170.

I hope to add the remaining 3.1 speaker system with Sierras, and i am speculating which one would suit my apartment and ears!.

Aravind from Troy, MI.

curtis
01-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Welcome Aravind!

How big is your room? Do you have a subwoofer?

Dark Ranger
01-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Hi Aravind,

Welcome aboard! :)

ats_phd
01-30-2013, 11:06 AM
How big is your room? Do you have a subwoofer?

Chang,
This is my apartment layout.

My room is kind of open, with walk through kitchen on the side of my AV and TV Stand. I have toed in my speakers. I do not own any sub woofer, and it will be some time before i can afford one. My immediate purchase next month is a Sierra NRT center channel.

Aravind

ats_phd
02-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Guys,

Will the Sierra Tower and Horizon be too much for the space of my apartment?.

The Sierra NRT with its stands, comes close to the tower pricing and i can buy them and have the dedicated mid range driver.

What do you think?

Dark Ranger
02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Hi Aravind,

I think you'll be OK with the Towers and Horizon. The main concern I see based on the diagram is to ensure you can position them properly. Are you going to put them slightly in front of the TV/AV rack, or tucked into the little corner spaces on each side of the rack?

You're certainly far enough away that the extra sensitivity of the Towers/Horizon would allow a bit more headroom on your AVR/amp. Also, since you cannot purchase a subwoofer (or at least for some time), I'd give another nod to the Towers/Horizon here. The Towers/Horizon have two dedicated woofers and extend lower than the Sierra-1.

Keep in mind that the Horizon is significantly larger than the Sierra-1 Center will be. I can show you a picture of my space if you want a size comparison. Double-check (and re-check) that you can fit the Horizon in your rack.

Hope that helps.

ats_phd
02-06-2013, 11:54 AM
The main concern I see based on the diagram is to ensure you can position them properly. Are you going to put them slightly in front of the TV/AV rack, or tucked into the little corner spaces on each side of the rack?

Thanks Jacob for your inputs.

Will 1 feet around the towers be good enough for them?

As far as the TV Rack is concerned, I think I am OK with the width of the Horizon.

Aravind

Dark Ranger
02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
One foot distance all around the Towers should be satisfactory. That is more than the depth of the enclosure itself. I definitely wouldn't recommend any closer, though.

You may still prefer some toe-in with the Towers. I'd also recommend keeping the front face of the loudspeakers at least flush with the TV rack, preferably a few inches forward.

If you find that the low end still has some "boom" due to being near the wall, you might consider using Q-Plug B for the port. This could help reduce some of the problematic frequencies. Try it without, first. :)

JustaSheep
02-07-2013, 07:56 AM
I think I am OK with the width of the Horizon.

Aravind

It's usually the height and depth of the Horizon that is the problem for most people. If you look at the Ascend owners pictures thread you will many have opted to put the Horizon on top of their TV stand and mount the TV on an Omni or wall mount.

Dark Ranger
02-07-2013, 11:04 AM
It's usually the height and depth of the Horizon that is the problem for most people.

+1

It's the biggest, baddest center channel I've ever owned. :D

ats_phd
02-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Currently, My 60" plasma is sitting on the tv rack and I am planning to keep it on top of the Horizon. I remember reading Dave's post where he mentioned that it can support about 100 lb.

I haven't thought about investing some more money on wall mounting my TV.

The reason, why i am more inclined on towers (than the Sierra) is the reason that i can live without a sub woofer for time.

Aravind

JustaSheep
02-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Currently, My 60" plasma is sitting on the tv rack and I am planning to keep it on top of the Horizon. I remember reading Dave's post where he mentioned that it can support about 100 lb.

I haven't thought about investing some more money on wall mounting my TV.

Aravind

I don't think sitting the TV on the Horizon is a bad idea. I opted for the wall-mount for my 55" Plasma. It was $60 and the wife and I installed it and hung the TV in under 2 hours. It was pretty easy and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I got one that moves off the wall about 2 feet and angels left and right about 45 deg. I really like it.