PDA

View Full Version : SVS entering the $400 market..

ClutchBrake
08-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Incredible news. Being a fan of SVS I'm glad they finally have something under $500 I can recommend to friends that aren't quite as into home theater as I am. I have no doubt the PB10-ISD will live up to SVS' reputation.

There are certainly other superb <$500 subs out there I will continue to recommend but Tom and Ron have both earned my loyalty for their personal attention to detail anytime I've had the slightest question or concern. That is particularly impressive because I've never actually given them so much as a dime of my money. I bought my SVS used, and they know it, but still treat me as if I purchased a pair of B4-Plus subs.

curtis
08-10-2004, 09:07 AM
They had to address that segment of the market, especially with all the high praise and attention the Hsu STF-2 as well as the Adire Rava get.

-curtis

davef
08-10-2004, 09:38 AM
I too am glad to see SVS enter this market, even with the formidable competition it will give to Hsu (which we sell a lot of). The long term result of this will be each manufacturer trying to out-do one another as far as performance goes. I suspect the short term result will be performance improvments from Hsu and Adire, and then additional improvements from SVS, and so on....

Today's sub $500 subwoofers EASILY outperform the majority of $1000+ models from 2-years ago. With SVS providing tough competition, my guess is that in 2-years these < $500 subwoofers will outperform TODAY's $1000 + subwoofers.

Imagine a tiny $400 subwoofer with the same performance numbers as a VTF-3 or a PB1-ISD? Trust me, it will happen, and with SVS now entering this market it will happen even sooner...

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

BillS
08-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Personally, I look forward to this dynamic shift. These current models (ala VTF-3) literally weight a ton...

Greetings from Central Florida!

Quinn
08-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Dave F. did a good job of explaining reasons why I think it means we the consumers win. Market place competition is a good thing.

I also agree with Curtis in that with all the attention the STF-2 and the Rava get SVS could not ignore is market segment. Will AV123 be entering this segment too?

curtis
08-10-2004, 01:11 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Quinn

Will AV123 be entering this segment too?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah...that has already been announce, the ULW-10. Essentially a UFW-10, not as nice as enclosure, smaller amp, but will have SOS(a one band auto parametric EQ). I believe around $400 as well.

-curtis

canali
08-11-2004, 07:33 AM
what i can't wait for is for SVS (since I own their 20-30pc+) to produce a compatible speaker line....Ron (from SVS) told me the other
day that when they do it'll probably be full range speaker set(but not in forseeable future since they're so busy with their sub production).

Cheers
Joe

curtis
08-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Ron uses Ascends. Building a good speaker is harder than building a good sub.

-curtis

davef
08-11-2004, 09:01 AM
HI Curtis,

I wouldn't say building a good speaker is harder than building a good sub, just extremely different.

With subwoofers, performance can easily be predicted and modeled. Things like imaging, voicing, phase, directivity, dispersion and driver integration are not factors. Build a good sub with good performance numbers and it will perform admirably. With loudspeakers, one can have awesome performance numbers yet it can still sound bad. It takes years of experience in designing and measuring (just knowing how to measure and what to measure) to get a good "feel" of what the majority of listeners will like.

Actually, designing a loudspeaker is probably easier than designing a subwoofer, but designing a loudspeaker that will appeal to the large majority of listeners is quite difficult and time consuming.

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

ClutchBrake
08-11-2004, 09:07 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

Building a good speaker is harder than building a good sub.

-curtis

Maybe so, but why do so many good speaker manufacturers produce mediocre subs? If that weren't the case I don't think Hsu and SVS would be where they are now.

As a result of my listening experiences I have more of a "do one thing and do it well" mindset when it comes to speakers and subs. I would approach SVS producing full range speakers with the same caution I would Ascend producing a subwoofer.

I'm selfish though. For personal reasons I don't want SVS or Ascend branching off into new markets in the foreseeable future.

curtis
08-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Shows you what I know. hehe [:)]

Clutch, I actually would be very interested in the type of sub Ascend could come with, as well as speakers from SVS.

-curtis

davef
08-11-2004, 09:36 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Maybe so, but why do so many good speaker manufacturers produce mediocre subs? If that weren't the case I don't think Hsu and SVS would be where they are now.

My simple explanation is this, subwoofer design is a precise science, loudspeaker design is science combined with art. The same engineers who can produce top quality subwoofers rely on numbers and are accustomed to this, numbers alone will not guarantee a good sounding loudspeaker. Subwoofer design and loudspeaker design almost contradict each other...

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

sensibull
09-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Hello,

I'm jumping on this thread a little late, but I'm in the market for an affordable sub (after buying 340s across the front, upgrade-itis is in full effect) and I'm curious about people's opinions of whether the new SVS sub (PB10-ISD) might outperform the HSU VTF-2 MK2. I can pre-order the SVS for $399 and get the HSU with the Ascend package deal for about $450.

Any recommendations? (My room is about 12 x 22, but wall-rattling bass isn't really a desired goal -- just good, musical bottom end)

bikeman
09-09-2004, 10:34 PM
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201221&pagenumber=5

Edward is an excellent reviewer. Read his review of the STF-3 and the PB1 to get a good idea of how he reviews subs. I'll make my choice after Ed finishes his review. The intro price on the PB10 is good for at least another month and a half.

David

gr1m
09-25-2004, 10:12 AM
curtis,
what's your opinion on this sub, after hearing it at the holiday inn? that good?

curtis
09-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Did you go? Didn't you hear it?[:)] Hard to judge...all they did was play it loud....nothing really to compare it too.

They were really pushing the CMT-340's too in order to fill that big room with sound at those high SPL levels. Still sounded great, but I think the tweets were straining a bit.

The Outlaw setup nextdoor didn't have a chance with the speakers they were using.

-curtis