PDA

View Full Version : New forum color suggestion

GirgleMirt
01-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the thread titles seem to be almost invisible. Of course I exaggerate, but when you're browsing the threads, because of the font color, your eye always stops on the thread starter (dark blue) instead of the thread title (teal) which even seems to blend with the background. Seems counter productive as you probably don't want to know who the thread creator was, but what the thread actually is about...

It's like the secondary information pops a lot more than the primary/main info, same with reply and dates... So I'd say it would be a big improvement to reverse those two colors. :)

[edit]same goes for the posts, if I'm looking at this thread, "advanced member" in bold blue pops a lot more than the name of the poster in teal, as well as 'join date' and posts. The reverse should be true, as I'd think out of all these info, the poster name should pop more than the info about the poster!

Wow, that last edited by xxx pops a ton!!! :eek: Look everybody the post was edited!!! ;) It's like the edit is more important the post itself, which again blends with background vs pops out.

davef
01-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the thread titles seem to be almost invisible. Of course I exaggerate, but when you're browsing the threads, because of the font color, your eye always stops on the thread starter (dark blue) instead of the thread title (teal) which even seems to blend with the background. Seems counter productive as you probably don't want to know who the thread creator was, but what the thread actually is about...

It's like the secondary information pops a lot more than the primary/main info, same with reply and dates... So I'd say it would be a big improvement to reverse those two colors. :)

[edit]same goes for the posts, if I'm looking at this thread, "advanced member" in bold blue pops a lot more than the name of the poster in teal, as well as 'join date' and posts. The reverse should be true, as I'd think out of all these info, the poster name should pop more than the info about the poster!

Wow, that last edited by xxx pops a ton!!! :eek: Look everybody the post was edited!!! ;) It's like the edit is more important the post itself, which again blends with background vs pops out.

We are still working on tweaks like this... Colors / fonts /sizes and possibly even the layout will be changing... We did not want to shut the forum down completely so a little at a time :) The older forum software was table based, this is CSS based so we were not able to carryover the same theme etc.

Dark Ranger
01-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Ah, that's good to know. CSS is definitely more flexible in the long run. I figured you guys were updating the forum due to the offline message a few days ago.

My job requires that I adjust to new changes quickly, so I'm used to that. However, I will say that it takes more time and effort to skim the new forum based on the points that GirgleMirt brought up. With the old table-based forum, I could quickly skim and categorize the new information.

I'm sure I'll fully adjust shortly, no worries. It's just something new. :)

davef
01-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Ah, that's good to know. CSS is definitely more flexible in the long run. I figured you guys were updating the forum due to the offline message a few days ago.

My job requires that I adjust to new changes quickly, so I'm used to that. However, I will say that it takes more time and effort to skim the new forum based on the points that GirgleMirt brought up. With the old table-based forum, I could quickly skim and categorize the new information.

I'm sure I'll fully adjust shortly, no worries. It's just something new. :)

How is it looking so far? Any other suggestions?

Dark Ranger
01-05-2013, 11:45 AM
I noticed the changes today! :D

It's definitely easier to navigate and determine what's new/unread. No further suggestions from me at this time. I must say the new forum features are growing on me.

Thank you!

drewface
01-08-2013, 04:58 PM
How is it looking so far? Any other suggestions?
The "Quick Navigation" drop down below the last post in the thread is kind of confusing, in my opinion. It looks like a link that would presumably take you back out to the current forum you are in, but when you click it it opens up a big menu. I preferred the old button that would take you back to the sub-forum the current thread is in.

On a related note, I think a lot of the links at the top of the new drop down menu are probably not used very often, such as "Settings" and "Who's Online." These might be better located in the drop down to make more room for the main sub-forums to be visible when you first open the menu.