PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can Receivers Do This little function????

Pianist718
09-19-2012, 07:45 AM
This is probably the most novice question you'll hear in these forums but ...

I have a Yamaha rx-v465 receiver.

I like my sound to be one way for when I listen to music in 2ch mode or All speakers, and I need sound to be different for when I watch movies.

For music, sound to be more flat, maybe even tone down on the high frequency and for movies add a bit more of high frequencies for voice, especially center channel.

Can my receiver have a memory preset???
If not my, are there receivers that have this function???

thank you

SpeedD408
09-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Most receivers have built in EQ's - Rock, Pop, Jazz, etc. your easiest solution would to find one you like for music and one you like for movies and just flip between them. However, if that doesn't work then you are probably talking some money.

Here is what I do, am planning on doing and how I would see doing it the way you want to do it.

I have a media PC (basic Intel i5-ivy bridge, 8 GB RAM, SSD HD, built in graphics - Intel HD4000).

The Media PC has a blu-Ray drive that I use for music CD's, DVD's and Blu-rays.
I also have 2 HDHomeRun TV tuners - I dropped cable and have been saving $100 a month and other than sports on ESPN I see no need for cable).

For Audio I have an Echo AudioFire 12. It's a professional grade 12-channel audio device mostly used for mixing and recording but works great for what I need it for and in this line of equipment it is cheap (but still not cheap for consumer grade equipment). About $500. It connects via firewire from the media PC. I like FW over USB for audio due to less CPU overhead.

The Media PC run JRiver Media Center 17.

JRiver MC 17 is the key. JRiver has one generic EQ with presets like mentioned above AND 2 sets of Parametric EQ's (each able to EQ each speaker independently). I would set one up for how I want my music to sound and the other for how I want my movies to sound. Then just flip between the two. There isn't a real easy why to tell JRiver to stop one EQ and start the other (have to go through a couple menus, not hard, just more complex than a push button).

This would give you all the control you could ever want, but it comes at a price (media PC, echo audiofire and JRiver software). If you have an old PC/laptop for the media part laying around that would help a lot. Echo makes 2, 4, 8 and 12-port units. The 12-port is the only one that supports 192/24 so it has the best DAC's in it and if you want to go beyond 7.1 you will need more than 8-channels anyway. Also if you want to go insane you and daisy-chain the echo 12's for up to 24-channels.

I'm sure there are also other way to skin this cat. However, I think I like my solution (though I've only been doing this for 9 months). At this point my receiver is only used as a means to remotely turn on my amp (Emotive MPS-2 = 7 x 200 @8ohms; thought I only have 5 channels used). If I could get a device to attach to my PC that would send a trigger to turn on the amp, I wouldn't need the receiver at all.

Also what I like about the JRiver software is it is actively maintained!!! It's also cheap at about $50. They also have MC 18 out in beta which allows for EQing up to 16 channels, not just 8 like in MC 17. Therefore, for the $21 upgrade cost from MC17 to 18, you get a tone of value. If you have a 5.1 receiver now (like I do/did) you have to dump it to get to 7.1, then dump that to go to 9.2 or 11.3 or whatever. Where with JRiver it's just a software change. I'll take $21 charge vs. a $800+ charge any day. Sweet!!

natetg57
09-19-2012, 08:00 PM
I like my sound to be one way for when I listen to music in 2ch mode or All speakers, and I need sound to be different for when I watch movies.

For music, sound to be more flat, maybe even tone down on the high frequency and for movies add a bit more of high frequencies for voice, especially center channel.

I don't know about your Yamaha but I know some of what my Denon is capable of.
For Audyssey, I can switch between the default settings, flat, bypass L/R, and Manual. The default tames the highs. 'Flat' boosts the highs slightly and 'manual' can do whatever you want. It's as easy as pressing one button to toggle between them.
Also, the Denon has the option for separate 2 channel settings. The settings are extensive and they switch automatically with a 2 channel source.

JustaSheep
09-20-2012, 06:17 AM
Can my receiver have a memory preset???

My Onkyo 809 will do this, but it's based on the source/input. Are you using 2 sources, one for movies and one for music?

Sheep

Mitch G
09-20-2012, 01:43 PM
The Anthem MRX receivers also do this. They let you set up separate movie and music profiles.

Mitch

curtis
09-20-2012, 02:26 PM
My Sherwood/Newcastle allows you to setup different virtual inputs each with a different profile.

Pianist718
09-20-2012, 08:00 PM
yea, I do use different input for music than movies ... BUT some of my music is on my Hard drive that's connected to my Blu Ray player ... meaning ... same input as movies.

how does one deal with it?

why wouldn't they just give you up to 5 presets of Manual sound configuration???