PDA

View Full Version : lack of clarity when using Audyssey XT

natetg57
06-22-2012, 11:56 AM
I have Sierra's across my front stage powered by a Denon 991. I'm using Audyssey to process the sound and use an Epik Legend sub with music and movies. I have homemade bass traps in three corners. I want just one setting for everything. I'm generally happy with the sound I'm getting. When I listen to rock/progressive music I like the sound of 'MultiEq Xt'. It seems to thicken the sound. But with classical, such as violin or piano with orchestra music I seem to get a cleaner more natural sound with Audyssey turned off.

When I ran the autosetup I used all 8 positions including two on top of the back of the couch near the back wall (1ft away).The other thing that I noticed: when I played a disc of test tones I noticed that frequencies from 100hz and up varied quite a bit as I moved to different positions on my couch. (my main listening position)

So, I'm wondering if Audyssey is trying to compensate for a null(s) in some positions (such as in front of the couch which is near the center of the room) and therefore boosting 125hz and 250hz and muddying up the sound.

I've also tried MultiEq 'Flat' and thought it sounded a little too thin and/or harsh.
Thanks!

curtis
06-22-2012, 09:21 PM
How does it sound if you only calibrate for one position?

natetg57
06-23-2012, 10:12 AM
That is a good suggestion. I will definitely try calibrating with one position at some point. Here is a pic of the EQ for F & R and the front of my room. Any suggestions on how I might be able to even out the 100-200hz response in my room? It's got to pass WAF since it's also our living room and we live in an apartment. 586

davef
06-23-2012, 01:51 PM
That is a good suggestion. I will definitely try calibrating with one position at some point. Here is a pic of the EQ for F & R and the front of my room. Any suggestions on how I might be able to even out the 100-200hz response in my room? It's got to pass WAF since it's also our living room and we live in an apartment. 586

Looks like Audyssey is applying about 3dB of cut at 63Hz and nearly 6dB of boost in the 125 - 250Hz range. This range is typically associated with floor bounce and the effect will vary based on the height of the speakers and the distance of the speakers to the listener. Boosts in this range will definitely muddy up the sound and in my professional opinion, while floor bounce always look nasty in measurements, its audible effect in a typical listening environment is minimal at best.

If you are able, cut the boost amount in half and you should be good to go. If you can't manually control the amount of boost in this range, place a lot of thick heavy pillows on the floor in front of the speaker leading all the way to the microphone and re-run Audyssey. This should reduce the magnitude of the bounce and thus reduce the amount of boost Audyssey is applying.

Hope this helps!

natetg57
06-23-2012, 04:00 PM
I have 10ft ceilings. Does that change the freq range of the floor bounce? Here is a diagram of my room.587

My speakers are 14" from the back wall. I'm using the foam port plugs (capped) as well. How much do you think I would benefit from putting 2-3" thick sound absorbing panels behind the front three speakers?

natetg57
06-23-2012, 06:46 PM
So I used the 'Manual' setting. I started by transferring the 'Flat' profile. (transferring the regular Audyssey settings isn't available) I then tamed the highs down and lowered the 125hz and 250hz boost. It sounds really good! Thanks for your help!