PDA

View Full Version : Prologic IIx vs Neo:6 vs direct

Sonic Ray
04-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Question:

How are people using the settings to handle movie soundtracks? Let's say it's a bluray of a recent release and the soundtrack is already in 7.1.

What are the pros/cons/differences of playing back in Direct vs one of the matrix processing formats (Denon 3312).

Dark Ranger
04-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Hi Ray,

I use these DSP modes in my system for movies and some multichannel music.

PLIIx, PLIIz, Neo:6, etc., are DSP modes used to enhance the sound field during playback of stereo or multichannel sources. For example, if you watch a DVD (encoded in DD 5.1) on a 7.1 speaker system, you could use PLIIx mode to expand content from the side surrounds to the back surrounds. If you listen to a stereo CD, you could apply PLIIx to expand the two-channel content into the center and surround channels. This allows greater spaciousness, ambiance, and realism during content playback.

For up-mixing 5.1 into a 6.1 or 7.1 system, the applied matrix processing just analyzes the side surround content and attempts to create a convincing rear sound field. Some of the matrix modes actually remove the matrixed content from the side surrounds (to enhance channel separation), while other modes leave the side channels alone. If memory serves, the PLIIx Cinema does the former to aid in channel separation for movies. In PLIIx Music mode, the side and rear channels are more similar than they are different.

In contrast, Direct mode bypasses the DSP/enhancement section in order to reproduce the audio signal as accurately as possible. This mode would be a good choice for the two-channel enthusiast pursuing non-altered sound from the source device to the amp.

It's also worth noting that PLIIx is not restricted to Dolby sources only. I actually use PLIIx on some DTS sources with no negative effects.

Here are my personal preferences:

- For Blu-Rays encoded in discrete 7.1 format (DTS-HD:MA or Dolby True HD), I will make sure it plays in the intended sound mode. I will not apply additional DSP to the audio signal because I want to hear the film the way it was mastered. These are the newer codecs feeding lossless audio into seven or more full-bandwidth channels.

- For DVDs encoded in discrete 6.1 format, I will keep the intended sound mode for playback true to the source.

- For DVDs encoded in 5.1 format, I will usually apply PLIIx or Neo:6 to expand to 6.1/7.1 for added realism.

- For two-channel audio tracks, I rarely use DSP capabilities, opting instead for Direct mode.

As far as pros and cons, it depends what you're looking for.

Possible pros to up-mixing with PLIIx / PLIIz / Neo:6:

- you can fully utilize your 6.1, 7.1 or higher surround system
- you can create a more spacious and enveloping sound field

Possible cons to up-mixing with PLIIx / PLIIz / Neo:6:

- not true to the source (some folks are picky about this)
- possible muddying of the sound field with non-optimal speaker placement
- restrictions on the up-mixing codec compared to the source/playback codec

Sonic Ray
04-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the lengthy response. I guess I'm still left with some questions. Mainly this: if i listen to, say a DTS 7.1 bluray soundtrack through PLIIx processing, are the individual 7 channels' content preserved or is the PLIIx messing around with that? I would be OK if it's just adding reverb/delay/fattening the sound in some movies but I don't think I want to second guess the audio engineers choice of channel content. Am I making sense?
-joel

Dark Ranger
04-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the lengthy response. I guess I'm still left with some questions. Mainly this: if i listen to, say a DTS 7.1 bluray soundtrack through PLIIx processing, are the individual 7 channels' content preserved or is the PLIIx messing around with that? I would be OK if it's just adding reverb/delay/fattening the sound in some movies but I don't think I want to second guess the audio engineers choice of channel content. Am I making sense?
-joel

PLIIx is basically irrelevant for discrete 7.1 sources. The x in PLIIx means expanded, extended, etc. since it can expand content up to 7.1 channels. For Blu-Rays using 7.1 DTS-HD:MA or Dolby TrueHD soundtracks, you already have 7.1 discrete channels. In this case, using PLIIx here doesn't really make sense. You would be up-mixing 7.1 content to...7.1?

Depending on your pre/pro or AVR, it might not even allow you to apply this enhancement. Now PLIIz on the other hand should be possible, but I do not have that capability on my current AVR.

In my opinion, the newer lossless formats are superior to the DSP matrix processing. However, the other DSP effects (reverb, delay, EQ, etc.) can be added on top of the soundtrack format if you desire.

With that said, it doesn't hurt to experiment. Try out the DSP enhancements and see which one you like best. Much of what we do in life comes down to personal preference. :)

Hopefully I got closer to answering your questions. If not, I'll let somebody else run with the ball. :p

Sonic Ray
05-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Here's another question:

My sound treatment panels and bass traps are coming next week. If I use Audyssey (Denon 3312) will it be optimized for any of the DSP settings I use (e.g. dolby pro logic, dts neo, etc) or will the audyssey optimization only really be true in "direct decoding" mode?

Thanks.