PDA

View Full Version : "Hi!" from the "D"... Detroit

poop91407
02-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Hello everyone...

I was stalking the website the past year or so and in December I finally jumped on a pair of espresso Nrt Sierra-1's. I liked the sound quality over my old set up (Paradigm Atoms) so much I decided to pull the trigger on the center too.

As much as I enjoy my new setup, I am a little concerned about the center. I am trying everthing to make it jive with the L/R and I can't really find the sweet spot. I am a little behind the 8 ball because I have to house the center in an entertainment console below the tv.... I use the A plugs for all three speakers.

I have run Audyssey with my Onkyo tx-nr609 (had to get this due to cabinet size) and it is ok.... feels/sounds like the center (pointed at ear height) is truly below the picture. I currently am using THX Cinema for movies.

The L/R in stereo is mainly what I use for music and sometimes use "all stereo" setting for parties.... and LOVE it. :D

I don't mean to sound dissapointed, because I'm far from it. Just want to get the best sound possible out of what I have.

Thanks for any comments!

PS.. My listening area is a large living area with basically no ceilings and is connected to a kitchen/dining area and use a Paradigm MiniVee 8 sub.

curtis
02-14-2012, 11:03 AM
How far below the TV is the speaker?

poop91407
02-14-2012, 11:20 AM
How far below the TV is the speaker?

Thanks for the quick response... the center of the center is about 10" from the bottom of the screen (55" tv).

curtis
02-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Make sure the front of the center channel is at least flush with the opening of the console....or if you can, have it protrude out.

poop91407
02-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Make sure the front of the center channel is at least flush with the opening of the console....or if you can, have it protrude out.

It sits about .5" from being flush with it ... that's the best it can do because of the molding on the console. It is flush with the L/R. The L/R sit on the sides of the tv about 5" away from both ends of the tv. Would this cause an issue? Unfortunatley, it is a living space that the mrs. has a lot of say on what goes on.

davef
02-17-2012, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the quick response... the center of the center is about 10" from the bottom of the screen (55" tv).

What is the distance between the bottom of the center speaker and the floor?

poop91407
02-17-2012, 07:06 AM
What is the distance between the bottom of the center speaker and the floor?

It is just over 13" from the bottom to the floor...
Thanks Dave.

davef
03-27-2012, 12:55 AM
It is just over 13" from the bottom to the floor...
Thanks Dave.

I sincerely apologize for missing this!

13" off the floor is quite low for any speaker. You are going to get significant "floor bounce" at this height, combined with bass reinforcement from both the floor and the wall behind the speaker. I recommend increasing the height of the center speaker by at least another foot if possible.

Hope this helps!

poop91407
03-27-2012, 05:39 PM
I sincerely apologize for missing this!

13" off the floor is quite low for any speaker. You are going to get significant "floor bounce" at this height, combined with bass reinforcement from both the floor and the wall behind the speaker. I recommend increasing the height of the center speaker by at least another foot if possible.

Hope this helps!

Makes sense Dave... unfortunatley I'm stuck with this setup due to waf.. maybe I need another set up in the basement where I can do what I want. I may be calling soon ! :)