PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Indy.

darkpoet25
02-13-2012, 03:15 AM
Hello everyone. For a while I was kicking around the idea of getting a set of Axiom speakers to upgrade from my current Athena AS-C1 and AS-B1's. After reading various threads on blu-ray.com and avsforum.com, I was seeing some say they were 'bright' speakers. Which if they are anything like the new V.7 Paradigm Monitor line, to me that isn't a good thing, as they were overly harsh sounding with the volume turned up. As well as not performing very well with Yamaha AVR's(I have an RX-A700, which I do not plan on replacing). So I did some more research and reading the various speaker threads on both of the above mentioned sites(I'm a member at blu-ray.com), I read about this company, which has me leaning towards making my purchase with Ascend instead. I have quite a decent sized movie/music collection, 125 blu ray's, around 40-50 dvd's and about 500 cd's. Seeing all the positive remarks towards the Ascends, I have decided to try a pair of the CBM-170's. If I like what I hear then I will order the 340 center channel and possibly a pair of either the CBM-170's or HTM-200's for surround's. As for the area where they will be used, I have a 700sq foot apartment, which is why I am going with bookshelf speakers as opposed to towers. I also have Velodyne VX-11 subwoofer along with a DIY sub riser. I have a few SACD's and a couple of DTS/DVD-A discs, and was wondering if the 170's would be a good choice for the surrounds for listening to mulit-channel music or if the 200's would be better. Look forward to interacting with everyone here and making some new friends.
Cliff

billy p
02-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Hello everyone. For a while I was kicking around the idea of getting a set of Axiom speakers to upgrade from my current Athena AS-C1 and AS-B1's. After reading various threads on blu-ray.com and avsforum.com, I was seeing some say they were 'bright' speakers. Which if they are anything like the new V.7 Paradigm Monitor line, to me that isn't a good thing, as they were overly harsh sounding with the volume turned up. As well as not performing very well with Yamaha AVR's(I have an RX-A700, which I do not plan on replacing). So I did some more research and reading the various speaker threads on both of the above mentioned sites(I'm a member at blu-ray.com), I read about this company, which has me leaning towards making my purchase with Ascend instead. I have quite a decent sized movie/music collection, 125 blu ray's, around 40-50 dvd's and about 500 cd's. Seeing all the positive remarks towards the Ascends, I have decided to try a pair of the CBM-170's. If I like what I hear then I will order the 340 center channel and possibly a pair of either the CBM-170's or HTM-200's for surround's. As for the area where they will be used, I have a 700sq foot apartment, which is why I am going with bookshelf speakers as opposed to towers. I also have Velodyne VX-11 subwoofer along with a DIY sub riser. I have a few SACD's and a couple of DTS/DVD-A discs, and was wondering if the 170's would be a good choice for the surrounds for listening to mulit-channel music or if the 200's would be better. Look forward to interacting with everyone here and making some new friends.
Cliff

Hey Cliff...welcome...:)
I have the as-b1/b2's sitting in my basement they were my very first speakers...:D. I also own some Axioms and had the Sierras 1's(but now I have the towers) and comparing them(Axioms) to the Monitors would be a very good comparison...imho.

I might be in the minority here but I don't find my 22's as "bright" as often claimed by others but rather forward(I don't consider bright as being a bad thing...:o) in nautre. They lack the required resolution or dynamics in the midrange and the detail up top to be a revealing speaker. Comparing the sound of Ascend vs. Axiom...I'd say the Ascend have the upper hand in all those areas as they're the more telling speaker. Throughout my listening sessions they never once sounded congested or compressed..always sounding crystal clear...keeping their composure no matter what voulmes I was listening at.

Enjoy your new cbm170's(duh...not Sierras) and I hope this gives you some idea on what you should come to expect with your Ascends..:D

Regards, Bill..:)

Dark Ranger
02-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Seeing all the positive remarks towards the Ascends, I have decided to try a pair of the CBM-170's. If I like what I hear then I will order the 340 center channel and possibly a pair of either the CBM-170's or HTM-200's for surround's. As for the area where they will be used, I have a 700sq foot apartment, which is why I am going with bookshelf speakers as opposed to towers.

Hi Cliff!

Welcome to the Ascend forum!

I completely understand the space issues. Rest assured, any of Ascend's speakers offer both impressive sound quality and output capability.

I also have Velodyne VX-11 subwoofer along with a DIY sub riser. I have a few SACD's and a couple of DTS/DVD-A discs, and was wondering if the 170's would be a good choice for the surrounds for listening to mulit-channel music or if the 200's would be better. Look forward to interacting with everyone here and making some new friends.
Cliff

For your multi-channel music, do you prefer full-range surround channels or do you apply a crossover?

The HTM-200 SE offers more flexible placement options than CBM-170 SE, due to smaller size and sealed enclosure. 200s should have a higher WAF, too, if that is a factor in your decision. Actually, I own a pair of 200 SEs in a 2-channel bedroom system. They are amazing speakers for the price and would be a knockout surround speaker.

Here's my suggestion: if you want to run full-range surround channels and don't care about cabinet size, then go for the 170s. Otherwise, the 200s will be more than capable as surrounds, especially if you're using an 80Hz crossover on those channels.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall a post by someone (curtis?) a while back saying that he was going to switch out his 170 surrounds with 200s. The smaller size of the 200s was more appealing. I'm having trouble locating the post at the moment, oh well.

EDIT: found it! See this post: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=39035#post39035

The post immediately above was asking a similar question about multi-channel music.

HTH

darkpoet25
02-14-2012, 02:55 AM
Hey Cliff...welcome...:)
I have the as-b1/b2's sitting in my basement they were my very first speakers...:D. I also own some Axioms and had the Sierras 1's(but now I have the towers) and comparing them(Axioms) to the Monitors would be a very good comparison...imho.

I might be in the minority here but I don't find my 22's as "bright" as often claimed by others but rather forward(I don't consider bright as being a bad thing...:o) in nautre. They lack the required resolution or dynamics in the midrange and the detail up top to be a revealing speaker. Comparing the sound of Ascend vs. Axiom...I'd say the Ascend have the upper hand in all those areas as they're the more telling speaker. Throughout my listening sessions they never once sounded congested or compressed..always sounding crystal clear...keeping their composure no matter what voulmes I was listening at.

Enjoy your new cbm170's(duh...not Sierras) and I hope this gives you some idea on what you should come to expect with your Ascends..:D

Regards, Bill..:)

It's funny you mentioned the Athena's as your first speakers, as they are my first too. Thank you for your comparison with the Axiom vs. the Ascends. While I don't consider 'bright' necessarily a bad trait in a speaker, it does have different meanings to different people after all, what I heard with the Paradigm's I audtioned was overly bright and nearly fatiuging after a several minutes. Your description of the Ascends sounds just what I think I am looking for in new speakers. I like the clarity of the Athena's and it seems like I would be happy with the Ascends. Hello Jacob, as for the HTM-200's, I may consider going with them for surrounds after seeing the CBM-170's in person. A lot of people who have them tend to like them from what I've been reading. Thanks for the replies guys, I may have found the speakers I will be upgrading to. :)
One question I forgot to ask: I know that some speakers require a 'break in' period. How many hours if any are considered a break in period for them CBM-170's?

billy p
02-14-2012, 05:26 AM
It's funny you mentioned the Athena's as your first speakers, as they are my first too. Thank you for your comparison with the Axiom vs. the Ascends. While I don't consider 'bright' necessarily a bad trait in a speaker, it does have different meanings to different people after all, what I heard with the Paradigm's I audtioned was overly bright and nearly fatiuging after a several minutes. Your description of the Ascends sounds just what I think I am looking for in new speakers. I like the clarity of the Athena's and it seems like I would be happy with the Ascends. Hello Jacob, as for the HTM-200's, I may consider going with them for surrounds after seeing the CBM-170's in person. A lot of people who have them tend to like them from what I've been reading. Thanks for the replies guys, I may have found the speakers I will be upgrading to. :)
One question I forgot to ask: I know that some speakers require a 'break in' period. How many hours if any are considered a break in period for them CBM-170's?

I've owned Energy and Athena's and I know API(being owners of both brands) liked to recommend speaker break in. Other mfg's do not! Some believe it to be a marketing ploy...others believe that perceivable changes really can and do occur? I'm more of the mind set it's better to give the new speakers some playing time at low to moderate volume before you crank out the tunes to aviod any unforeseen harm and for your own piece of mind....:)

Good luck and report back your thoughts...Bill

darkpoet25
02-14-2012, 07:15 AM
I've owned Energy and Athena's and I know API(being owners of both brands) liked to recommend speaker break in. Other mfg's do not! Some believe it to be a marketing ploy...others believe that perceivable changes really can and do occur? I'm more of the mind set it's better to give the new speakers some playing time at low to moderate volume before you crank out the tunes to aviod any unforeseen harm and for your own piece of mind....:)

Good luck and report back your thoughts...Bill

Ok that's what I was thinking. I've visited some companies sites like Focal and Totem who recommend around 75-100 hours for the speakers to 'warm up'. I don't usually listen at reference levels anyway so I should be okay on that front. It's just a matter of scraping together the money to make my purchase. :)

Dark Ranger
02-14-2012, 11:39 AM
...I know that some speakers require a 'break in' period. How many hours if any are considered a break in period for them CBM-170's?

There is no official break-in time, but the general consensus here seems to be around 50 hours. Speaker break-in is measurable, especially considering T/S parameters; however, it is more apparent on woofers than tweeters.

Personally, I don't worry about it. Often times, the measuring equipment is more sensitive than our ears, so whether one can actually hear the effects of speaker break-in is debatable. As for "damage" caused by forfeiting a break-in period, I haven't seen any hard data that can prove this. In my opinion, speaker manufacturers would be affixing warning labels and disclaimers on their products if this was a real issue.

If you're used to allocating break-in time, run 'em for 50 hours. Otherwise, just sit back and enjoy the music.

darkpoet25
02-17-2012, 09:34 AM
After doing some digging up online, the size difference between the Athena's and Ascends isn't too big. The AS-B1's are 13-3/4" H, 7"W, and 9-1/2" D, the AS-C1 is 17-3/4"W, 7"H, and 9-1/2"D. The CMT-340SE center is 7-1/2"H, 21"W, and 10.5"D, while slightly bigger than the AS-C1, there is more than enough room on my tv stand for a perfect fit. Which is to be expected seeing as the AS-C1 has a pair of 5-1/2" speakers vs. the 6-1/2" speakers in the 340. The CBM-170SE's are 12"H, 9"W, 10"D, while nearly two inches shorter in height the 2"'s of wider space shouldn't be too much of difference.(After ordering a pair of these, I will do a side by side comparison as far as dimensions go) Finally the HTM-200SE's are 11"H, 6-1/2"W and 6-3/4"D, a fairly big difference in size compared to the 170's. After my initial order(not sure when that will be, I'm not in a major rush. Besides, paying the bills comes first after all), I will place one of the 170's where one of my AS-B1's is used as a surround speaker to see how well they would work there. If size is an issue I'm sure the 200's would do fine as surrounds. The only problem I forsee myself having is the waiting period after making an order for them to arrive. :D

darkpoet25
03-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Okay, so I recently got my tax refund, and am almost ready to order my pair of 170's. A couple of questions before I do however. I see there are some 170's B-Stock for sale, I know performance wise they will be fine, but as far as cosmetically speaking, would any blemish be THAT noticable? Do these ship out faster than if I were to buy a pair brand new? I know that it would save me around $41 going with the B-Stocks over new, but was just wondering what to expect. Also, will there be a sale anytime soon? I know there was a holiday sale that ended not too long ago, but if a sale is coming up for spring/summer I may wait until then to pull the trigger so to speak.

paulphoosreal
03-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Hello from Nappanee.I am a past resident of Indy and know most of the outlets there.The Ascends will be a major upgrade over the Athenas.In fact, it won't even be close.I am a Cedia installer and have my own business.I am familiar with the Athena line and as you know,they are no longer made.I would strongly,VERY strongly suggest,that if their is any way you can swing it,go for the Sierra 1's.I currently run a Yamaha Aventage 800 with my Sierra Nrt's and they are the best speakers I've ever heard under $3k.As I'm moving back to Indy I have put off my purchase of the new Sierra Tower.
As soon as I'm back into my house,they are my 1st purchase and I can hardly wait.Believe me when I say Ascend,specifically Dave and Dina are fantastic people who know their product and are completely upfront with you.I've heard most every "high-end" speaker on the market courtesy of the Cedia and CES shows.Their is nothing out there that is remotely close to the Sierra1's,whether the base or Nrt version in their price range or even much higher.If you want:
Clarity,neutrality,dynamics and an honest full range sound then I suggest that you put Sierra 1's at the top of your list.I would be glad to answer any of your questions and you are welcome to hear the 1's in Nappanee or in 3 mos.when I return to Indy via Noblesville.I've kept the technical aspects and measurements out of this piece of advice for fear of confusing you.I supplement the 1's with an Outlaw Compact 1 sub crossovered at 60hz.
The less costly Ascends are superior speakers in their own right,but,if you really value "musical integrity",go with the Sierra in IMHO.Hope this helps in some way and doesn't add to your questioning on how to move forward in obtaining Good Listening.

Dark Ranger
03-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Okay, so I recently got my tax refund, and am almost ready to order my pair of 170's. A couple of questions before I do however. I see there are some 170's B-Stock for sale, I know performance wise they will be fine, but as far as cosmetically speaking, would any blemish be THAT noticable?

I have not yet purchased B-Stock from Ascend, but I doubt they'd intentionally ship out anything with significant eyesore blemishes. I found a thread here (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4323) with feedback from several members who purchased B-Stock at some point. The thread is about 2 years old, but you can get a feel for it.

Do these ship out faster than if I were to buy a pair brand new? I know that it would save me around $41 going with the B-Stocks over new, but was just wondering what to expect. Also, will there be a sale anytime soon? I know there was a holiday sale that ended not too long ago, but if a sale is coming up for spring/summer I may wait until then to pull the trigger so to speak.

Give Ascend a call and they can answer these questions for you. :) Otherwise, hang out here and see if Dave will pop in. He's a very busy man building toys for good girls and boys. :D

darkpoet25
03-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Hello from Nappanee.I am a past resident of Indy and know most of the outlets there.The Ascends will be a major upgrade over the Athenas.In fact, it won't even be close.I am a Cedia installer and have my own business.I am familiar with the Athena line and as you know,they are no longer made.I would strongly,VERY strongly suggest,that if their is any way you can swing it,go for the Sierra 1's.I currently run a Yamaha Aventage 800 with my Sierra Nrt's and they are the best speakers I've ever heard under $3k.As I'm moving back to Indy I have put off my purchase of the new Sierra Tower.
As soon as I'm back into my house,they are my 1st purchase and I can hardly wait.Believe me when I say Ascend,specifically Dave and Dina are fantastic people who know their product and are completely upfront with you.I've heard most every "high-end" speaker on the market courtesy of the Cedia and CES shows.Their is nothing out there that is remotely close to the Sierra1's,whether the base or Nrt version in their price range or even much higher.If you want:
Clarity,neutrality,dynamics and an honest full range sound then I suggest that you put Sierra 1's at the top of your list.I would be glad to answer any of your questions and you are welcome to hear the 1's in Nappanee or in 3 mos.when I return to Indy via Noblesville.I've kept the technical aspects and measurements out of this piece of advice for fear of confusing you.I supplement the 1's with an Outlaw Compact 1 sub crossovered at 60hz.
The less costly Ascends are superior speakers in their own right,but,if you really value "musical integrity",go with the Sierra in IMHO.Hope this helps in some way and doesn't add to your questioning on how to move forward in obtaining Good Listening.

If I could afford them, I would get the Sierra's without question. But they are out of my price range sadly. I've heard nothing but good things about all of their speakers, so I have a feeling that the 170's would do the job nicely.

Dark Ranger
03-11-2012, 12:13 AM

Hi Paul, welcome to the forums.

Ascend will appreciate your kind words about the Sierra-1 monitors and the customer service. I agree on both points, especially the latter. I've called up a few times with questions and Dina never gives me the impression that I'm bothering her, although I know she is super busy. I appreciate her candor, knowledge, and friendliness and she's a first-class representative for Ascend. I have yet to speak with Dave by phone, although we've talked via e-mail. I think we're all well aware that Dave is "The Man." :cool:

Indeed, the Sierra-1 is something special. Sometimes I hear a good song on the radio at work or at a friend's house. I look up the album and think, "I wonder how this will sound on my Sierras?" I love those babies. :D

I think Cliff is doing it right taking advantage of the trial period. There's nothing to lose, really. He's just getting his feet wet with Ascend products and the 170s will do a great job at a fair price (the 170 was Ascend's "bread and butter" for a time and is a fantastic product). There again, the urge to upgrade will always be there for enthusiasts like us.

Paul, I hope you can get a pair of Towers for yourself down the road. I hear they are spectacular, transcendental, and pave the way to enlightenment. Seriously. :eek:

(Ok, Ok, I'll go to bed now...) :rolleyes:

paulphoosreal
03-11-2012, 10:50 AM
I do have to agree with you there.I also know us "audiophiles"-lol.The better sounding our systems get,the more we look for upgrades.My point,poorly presented as it was.Is that if you can swing it,or in the future when some more funds are abailable.Don't run out and look for the "golden goose".You have found it at Ascend.Reason,I'm getting the Towers.I want realism in my music and listening experience.The 1's will go into the den and the Towers into the family room.The 170's ARE a very good speaker,they will just make you yearn for the Sierra's all the more-IMHO

darkpoet25
03-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Alright, I just pulled the trigger and ordered a pair of B-Stock 170's. Now to play the waiting game. :D

paulphoosreal
03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Good for you! I know you're going to enjoy them.Take the time to optimize where you position them and you'll be rewarded with speakers that give you much of what is on the particular recording you are listening too.

darkpoet25
03-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Good for you! I know you're going to enjoy them.Take the time to optimize where you position them and you'll be rewarded with speakers that give you much of what is on the particular recording you are listening too.

Thanks! :) I think the only problem I will see myself having is the waiting period for them to arrive, lol.

paulphoosreal
03-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Believe me,they are worth the wait.It won't be too long before you are enjoying your music the way it was meant to be heard.Send a mail my way after you get them if you have any questions on placement or for that matter anything at all.This hobby of ours makes for great fellowship and communication.After all,it's all about hearing sound whether spoken words,music or just communicating the emotion of the video you are watching.Remeber to just enjoy your Ascends.And I know they will serve you well with just a little TLC.

darkpoet25
03-24-2012, 07:47 AM
They arrived yesterday afternoon. What I've done at this point is to have one CBM-170 hooked up to the front left channel, and have one AS-B1 hooked up to the front right channel. Last night I was watching the Incubus Live At Red Rocks BD, and I began to notice the differences between the two. While they both had smooth highs, the CBM-170 had more midbass/midrange. Every pluck of the bass strings had more impact, along with the kickdrum. I've had the Velodyne turned off, so I could tell the difference in sound. As for a blemish there was a scratch going down the middle of both CBM-170's on the bottom of the speakers. Other than that they looked perfectly fine.
I will spend more time listening to them in 2-channel, in order to hear more differences between them. But so far I enjoy what I am hearing very much. :D

paulphoosreal
03-24-2012, 09:23 AM
How are you doing your positioning?
What works for your prior speaker will not necessarily work for the 170's.As you move the 170's further out into the room,bass empasis will lessen and your midrange should become more natural.Remember the closer to a wall,whether rear or side,the emphasis placed on the lower frequencies which are reinforced by room boundaries.Take the time to let the Ascends break-in,I'd say at least 20 hours and then play with positioning them.You will be rewarded with awesome detailed sound that is natural and correct from the lows to the highs.Hope this helps.
My Sierras didn't come really alive till I had quite some time on them,but did they ever come "alive".Also had to play with position for awhile after they had broken in.Will try and post some pics of my rig soon
.Have fun,enjoy and remember to just sit back and listen.The 170's won't let you down.

curtis
03-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Did you buy B stock?

The "scratch" down the middle on both speakers, are you sure that just isn't the seam in the finish?

paulphoosreal
03-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Hi Curtis.I'm not the buyer of the 170's-Dark Ranger is.I bought a pair of Sierra 1Nrt's in September.I've been a Cedia installer since the beginning of Cedia.
As you probably know,our headquarters are here in Indy.Carmel to be exact.
I've had the pleasure of hearing many systems from the ultra high-end money wise to budget and IMO,Ascend Sierra 1Nrt's are the the most natural,definitive speakers I've ever heard in the 3-5k range.They grab hold of me and don't let go.I've relistened to more tunes since I've had them and never cease to be delighted with all that I hear.Yes,I've heard what the "reviewers" call awesome and most of the time I disagree.For me,Ascend offers to us purveyors of realism-lol,more speaker than anything else out there.No,I don't work for Ascend!Just my opinion again.And the electronics don't have to be in the extreme high end.I run an Yamaha Aventage 800,Marantz BD 7004 through my HDMI and I'm quite content.Till I get the Towers.Then I will be really content.Again,on the fence with what tweeter to go with.Yes,I do get the bug to see if I can upgrade with the least financial pain.I also run all my equip't through an APC H-10 conditioner.Have other stuff,but that's my main rig for now.Glad to talk with anyone on the forum at any time.I really enjoy this hobby of ours and helping others out whenever I can.Hope that's enough info for everyone,if not ask any question.As Dave so correctly says,good listening.
I'm getting a house in Indy and rest assured,Towers are on the must buy list after I'm moved in.Right now,still deciding on how you improve on perfection,but those Ribbons have me intrgued.

Dark Ranger
03-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi Curtis.I'm not the buyer of the 170's-Dark Ranger is.

...or rather, darkpoet25 is the buyer. ;)

Nevertheless, you wouldn't have to twist my arm too much for me to purchase some 170s. :D Too bad I don't have a need for 'em right now.

Alright, I just pulled the trigger and ordered a pair of B-Stock 170's. Now to play the waiting game.

As for a blemish there was a scratch going down the middle of both CBM-170's on the bottom of the speakers. Other than that they looked perfectly fine.

B-Stocks might have imperfections, but at least the scratch is on the bottom. curtis did have an interesting point, though. I just checked my pair of 200 SE in the bedroom (closest thing to 170 I have right now), and there are two seams on the underside, but they go from side to side, not front to back.

curtis
03-25-2012, 03:16 PM
B-Stocks might have imperfections, but at least the scratch is on the bottom. curtis did have an interesting point, though. I just checked my pair of 200 SE in the bedroom (closest thing to 170 I have right now), and there are two seams on the underside, but they go from side to side, not front to back.
I know darkpoet is the buyer...

and I am almost certain was he is seeing are the seams on the bottom of the speaker.

paulphoosreal
03-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Hey guys,what can I say,but oops! Sorry about that Dark Poet.I wouldn't worry about those seams. Ascend is all about quality and they wouldn't send anything out that wasn't to spec.I've seen the same versions of certain brands that do vary in their construction and one thing I do know for sure is that Ascend only sends quality product.You only have to talk to Dina or Dave to realize that.I also base that on my Sierra's build and performance.Whether A or B stock.As I've said before,listen,enjoy and relax knowing you have speakers that make for good listening.

darkpoet25
03-26-2012, 02:22 AM
I know darkpoet is the buyer...

and I am almost certain was he is seeing are the seams on the bottom of the speaker.

Oops, didn't know the speakers had seams on the bottoms. :o Well in that case then, there isn't a thing wrong with them at all. :)

darkpoet25
03-29-2012, 07:36 AM
The more time I spend listening to them the more I fall in love with them. I was playing Us and Them: Symphonic Pink Floyd last night. I normally listen with the volume at -55db to -60db. I decided to to turn up the volume to -40db, and I was floored with how clean they sound. No break-ups, not overly shrill or harsh, just open beautiful sound. When I get a chance I will definetly be ordering the CMT-340C and a pair of HTM-200's. I finally found the speakers I will be upgrading to. :)

Dark Ranger
03-30-2012, 01:51 PM
The more time I spend listening to them the more I fall in love with them. I was playing Us and Them: Symphonic Pink Floyd last night. I normally listen with the volume at -55db to -60db. I decided to to turn up the volume to -40db, and I was floored with how clean they sound. No break-ups, not overly shrill or harsh, just open beautiful sound. When I get a chance I will definetly be ordering the CMT-340C and a pair of HTM-200's. I finally found the speakers I will be upgrading to. :)

Thanks for sharing! I'm always excited to read about someone's first experience with Ascend products. No Kool-Aid necessary, just great performance and value.

Enjoy. :D

darkpoet25
06-08-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm still amazed at the level of accuracy the 170's have. I was watching 27 Weeks Later on Blu Ray. There is a scene where they are in the house sitting down about to eat, when there is a knock on the door that came from the front right 170. I actually turned around to see if someone was knocking on my door before I realised it was the movie.
I have a CD by an industrial band called Download, a side project of Cevin Key from Skinny Puppy. The stereo seperation on the CD is great and the 170's did a wonderful job of creating a phantom center channel. Hopefully I will be placing an order for the CMT-340SEC pretty soon, although I'm not sure as to how long that will be. I'm hoping in the next few weeks, I recently had to replace the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs and wires and valve cover gasket in my car, so the wallet took a bit of a hit.
Paul, sorry for not getting back to your question as to my placement of the 170's sooner. I have them on two audio towers that are placed about 5 feet apart, with the speakers centered on both towers and the ports are about a foot from the back wall.

paulphoosreal
06-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Hi Dark Poet,
Sounds like you're getting optimal sound from the speakers.I'm curious as to what distance the side walls are from them.If you can, you might try expanding the distance to 6 feet between your speakers.One foot from back wall is how I have my 1Nrt's and that works well for me.I have 1 foot on the right speaker and the left opens into a large area.Because of that,I had to experiment on degree of axis I presented to my speakers so imaging was at it's best.Sounds like you're really close on optimal sound.Ascend is quite impressive in all it's variations! Again,just a little change in location can make major changes in sound.Till you try a a few changes you'll never be sure as to what those puppies can really do. Make sure you mark the spots you're happy with.If you don't like or get any change in sound,back to their old spots.Hope that gives a little insight to you.Glad you're happy with them and enjoy them to the max!

darkpoet25
07-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Well it took me a little while, but I finally ordered the CMT-340C yesterday. Now to play the waiting game for it to arrive. :)

hearing specialist
07-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Good for you! One of the hardest things for me personally is the wait and if I could make Fedx and UPS faster in my area I would. Enjoy that 340C! :D

Brian in Bakersfield...

darkpoet25
07-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Man they shipped it faster than I thought. It shipped out yesterday and I should have it on the 26th, too bad I will be at work until 4pm. Hopefully the UPS driver will either drop it off at the leasing office of my apartment complex if I'm not there, or try and deliver it on Friday.

hearing specialist
07-21-2012, 09:46 AM
As your Hearing Specialist I feel its in your best interest to stay home, you did say you had a sore throat...On the 26th...;)

Dark Ranger
07-21-2012, 09:54 AM
I heard about a nasty 24-hour bug that can keep some folks home from work and other non-important tasks. Actually, it's predicted to be in your area on Thursday, July 26. You might consider taking precautions and just stay home. :p

On a more serious note, UPS provides a Hold for Pickup (http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/value_added/hold_pickup.html) service at no cost. I've done this many times with FedEx for Direct Signature parcels. It saves the delivery guy some time and I don't have to worry about delivery exceptions or the package sitting on my front porch for hours.

Enjoy! :cool:

EDIT: Ack! Mr. Hearing Specialist beat me to it.

Dark Ranger
07-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Today is the day!! :D

If I were a betting man, I'd wager $10 that the first thing that crossed your mind this morning was your shiny new CMT-340c.

darkpoet25
07-26-2012, 02:34 AM
Yep I have a felling it's going to be a loonngg day at work. :D

hearing specialist
07-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Today...is a good day...

Brian in Bakersfield...

darkpoet25
07-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Ok so it arrived when I was at home, around 5 o'clock. I knew it would be bigger than the older AS-C1 I was replacing, but good lord this thing is a friggin' beast. :eek: Just like the CBM-170's nothing but pure sweet sound. :) I'm 'breaking' it in right now playing the Dire Strait's Brothers In Arms SACD.

darkpoet25
07-26-2012, 05:22 PM
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=darkpoet25
Here is a link to my theater gallery on blu-ray.com.

hearing specialist
07-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Cool! How do those Athena's compare to the 170's?

Dark Ranger
07-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks for sharing the pics! Your abode looks cozy. I like the Pepsi Optimus Prime truck. :p

Good choice on the demo material, too, that's a fantastic album. Be sure to try out a movie when you can. That 340 will handle the center channel content (notably dialog) very well.

Like Brian, I'd be curious on your thoughts on the Ascends vs the Athenas. I haven't heard those models (B1/C1).

Enjoy the sonic bliss! :D

darkpoet25
07-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Thanks for sharing the pics! Your abode looks cozy. I like the Pepsi Optimus Prime truck. :p

Good choice on the demo material, too, that's a fantastic album. Be sure to try out a movie when you can. That 340 will handle the center channel content (notably dialog) very well.

Like Brian, I'd be curious on your thoughts on the Ascends vs the Athenas. I haven't heard those models (B1/C1).

Enjoy the sonic bliss! :D

Thanks for the compliments. :) After playing Dire Straits, I popped in The Eagles' Hell Freezes Over DTS disc, sounded great too. After that I watched the first X-Men movie. The 340 was great for the dialog, it was much clearer sounding, and I could hear a difference in the quality. As for a comparison, I would say that they share some similar sound qualites. The Athena's use a Teteron tweeter, which is a tweeter filled with liquid, you can literally run your finger on it and doesn't damage it. Since I liked how they sounded, I was trying to find something I could compare them with. I went out and listened to some Energy speakers(CB-10's, CB-20's and CC-10), Paradigm Version 7 Mini Montiors, Atoms, and some Klipsh speaker(can't remember what model). The Energy's sounded very nice to me, and I had considered going with them for a while. The Paradigm V7's just didn't sound good to me at all, they were brittle sounding and brighter than I thought they would be. The Klipsh I heard in comparison sounded a little bit cleaner, but again were bright to my ears.
The Athena's have a clear, clean sound to them, not overly harsh, and I did a little bit more research to find something I liked. I looked into Axiom speakers, as I had heard quite a few good things about them(as well as the Ascend's). I began reading various onwers threads on avs.com and blu-ray.com to get people's over all impressions. I had heard some metal dome tweeters in the past, some sounding smooth and some sounding very harsh and fatiguing. After some more digging around, I decided the Axiom's just weren't for me and went with the Ascend's instead. Glad that I did, I like the sound of a soft dome tweeter much more than a metal dome tweeter.
Now onto the comparison. Both the Athena's and Ascend's share some similar sound qualities. They have good midrange, smooth sounding tweeters, and a clean delivery. The Athena's while nice just didn't have the overall depth in the midrange area that the Ascend's have. After I first got the CBM-170's I decided to a side by side comparison. I hooked up one CBM-170 to the left channel, and left an AS-B1 on the right channel. I was watching concert blu's in 2-channel as well as playing some stereo music. When the material was playing I would get and move around the apartment, listening both on and off axis, comparing the overall sound quality. I would then leave one hooked up and unhook the other, doing the same as above.
That extra depth in midrange was something I just wasn't getting in the Athena's. Watching the Incubus Live At Red Rocks concert, there was more depth and punch to the drumming and bass playing. I spent a few days listening to various music same as the manner as described above. On Dream Theater's Images and Word's during the song Another Day there is an alto saxophone that plays at different times throughout the song. While both speakers played with great clarity, the CBM-170 had more of an impact with me. As if the player was standing in the room, something I didn't get from the Athena. Playing some Heart, Ann Wilson's voice had more presence, and I could feel every emotion in her singing. Overall I will say that going with Ascend was a better decision in the long run, as they are not overly bright, harsh or fatiguing. When I turned up the volume little by little, I heard nothing but pure clear, clean sound. Which is what I was going for when looking for a new set of speakers. :)

Dark Ranger
07-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Hi DP:

I apologize for my delayed response, it's been busy at work and I haven't had much time to post.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Ascends. It's obvious you've shopped around for the "right sound." Oh, and I echo your concerns about the majority of metal dome tweeters. While I realize the implementation of the tweeter design is more important than what it's made out of, most metal dome-equipped speakers I've tried were just too harsh for me. Some speakers caused me so much discomfort I couldn't listen to them for more than a few minutes. I have a suspicion that I'm more sensitive (than average) in the 2-4 kHz range based on how I react compared to other listeners. Anyway, like you, I tend to prefer soft domes.

The comparison between the Ascends and Athenas was interesting since I haven't heard that specific model. Since becoming an Ascend owner, I've realized that Dave's speakers excel in mid-range accuracy and presentation (among other things) compared to previous speakers I've owned and auditioned. In any case, it appears that the Athenas performed well considering the price difference.

When the differences in hearing among different people are combined with the incredible variety of loudspeaker designs, it creates an interesting challenge for anyone shopping for new speakers...never mind those crazy* individuals who actually build the darn things. :D

*a term used with fondness

Again, thanks for sharing with us! You've got a nice setup that provides incredible value and performance. :cool: The "SE" series is quite amazing. I had to move my 200 SE pair out of my bedroom to replace/upgrade the surrounds in the main listening room. I am really missing those 200s in the bedroom. The temporary replacements, pulled from storage, are a big downgrade even though they cost nearly twice as much as the 200 SE.

The comments from you and Brian (in his recent thread) have caused me to consider the 340 SE mains for my bedroom, perhaps within the next 3-6 months. I'd love to try out the 340s.

Take care!

darkpoet25
12-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Just a little update. I moved the 170's a little further out on the audio towers in order for them 'breath' some more. The ports are now 15 1/2"s from the wall, and sound even better.(I have the 340C as close to the edge of the shelf below my TV, so I wanted the 170's to match them space wise if that makes any sense) The imaging on them is amazing to say the least, I love the 'wall' of sound they are able to produce. Watching Brave, the soundtrack music really came alive. I can honestly say I haven't been this happy with a purchase in a while. Dave has made a wonderful product, and gained another satisified customer for years to come. :D The way they integrate with Velodyne VX-11 sub is seamless, to my ears at least. I've been listening to more and more music because of how well they perform. Also wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.