PDA

View Full Version : hi from Virginia Beach

dittomusik
02-10-2012, 09:12 AM
greetings Ascendians (Ascendors? Ascendient Beings?)
after bumping into the Ascend site periodically in the past few years as i researched Rythmik subs and other speaker related quests, i now have the good fortune to be able to afford some good speakers. up til this point i have been scouring thrift stores and craigslist for hidden gems - buying, fixing, modifying and trying a variety speakers and audio gear.
with only a few exceptions, i have not been satisfied in my speaker exploits. i believe this is about to change.

starting with a pair of HTM-200 SEs and a pair of Rythmik F12 subs, i am slowly heading towards an all-Ascend home theater setup (and thus Ascend plus Rythmik 2-channel for regular music as well). now in the family is also a pair of NrT Sierra-1s (destined to magically become towers at some point) and a RAAL ribbon STC is on order. oh, and a pair of CBM-170s are in transit.

so far i like what i hear and i hope to have time to share my experiences and comparisons with some of the other speakers i have on hand (including Econowave modded Large Advents, blue sky Sat 5 and Sub 8 2.1 full-range studio monitor system, and Paradigm Monitor 7se III mains and CC-290 v.6 center).

and now for a quick story: i had a friend over last week to watch Baraka (this is an awesome Blu-ray) which he had never seen. Sierra-1s for mains, HTM-200s on surround duty, Paradigm CC-290 center, and 1 Rythmik F12 (didn't need both subs going during this after-the-kids--go-to-bed showing). the sound was excellent and my friend was impressed with both the film and the audio. a few hours later while putting away certain parts of the HT setup (to protect them from my marauding toddlers) i discovered that i had forgotten to actually turn the sub's power ON.
holy moly!
now, Baraka's audio is not a sub showcase, just an extremely well-executed soundtrack - but never once did i think "where's the bass?".
Sierra-1s, where have you been all my life?
HA!

can't wait for my Sierra center...

davef
02-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Hi Dittomusik,

Wishing you a warm welcome to our forum and our family --- and I am especially pleased to hear that you are enjoying your Sierra-1 :)

Please feel free to contact us anytime if we can be of any assistance.

Enjoy!!!!