PDA

View Full Version : Any sonic difference between E15 and F15HP?

jon7889
01-16-2012, 01:01 AM
I'm debating on whether to get the E15 or the F15HP to accompany my Sierra 1's. The E15 is a little smaller, which is always nice but not a deal breaker for the F15HP, AND a little cheaper (probably due to the fact that since it is smaller there is less physical material in the enclosure) and also cheaper to ship since it is lighter. As far as I can tell, it has the exact same woofer and amplifier. I understand that the F15HP will play slightly (1 db I think but correct me if I'm wrong) louder but has anyone had a chance to actually hear these two subs? I'm willing to pay a little extra and make a little more room for the F15HP if it actually sounds BETTER and not just slightly louder. I live in Hawaii, so shipping is so cost prohibitive that whatever I end up getting, I will have to love because there is probably just no way that I will ship it back. So I want to be extra sure before I take the plunge. I will rarely push these subs to any type of (volume) limit as I seldom listen to music and movies that way. I just want to make sure the sound quality is a good as possible.
I will be using this for about 50/50 music to movies. I'm a very picky and critical listener.
Thanks!

curtis
01-16-2012, 01:23 PM
There should be very little difference in sound, if any at all.

jon7889
01-16-2012, 01:34 PM
thanks Curtis! That's kind of what I thought. I guess it's just surprising to me that they sel the F15HP at all. It's more expensive and bigger. If it sounds virtually identical to the E15, why would anyone ever choose to get the F15HP? Doesn't make any sense to me. Just wondering.
thanks again!

curtis
01-16-2012, 02:30 PM
thanks Curtis! That's kind of what I thought. I guess it's just surprising to me that they sel the F15HP at all. It's more expensive and bigger. If it sounds virtually identical to the E15, why would anyone ever choose to get the F15HP? Doesn't make any sense to me. Just wondering.
thanks again!
Because some people want that extra output, which I think is more than 1dB at lower frequencies.

The cabinet size for the standard F15 is already smaller than optimum.

jon7889
01-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Well, see this makes me indecisive again. Will there be a difference in bass feel and impact (very low frequencies) if playing at moderate levels? By moderate I mean fairly loud at times but not an offensive challenge and fu to the neighbors.
Sorry to run around the same question so much. I just want to be extra sure.

curtis
01-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Without knowing actually how loud, it is hard to say.

My suggestion would be go with the F15HP.

jackfish
01-17-2012, 07:11 AM
I've got plenty of what you seek with the F12 in my room.

davidknunes@yahoo.com
02-24-2012, 05:43 PM
I live in Hawaii too and understand the shipping cost issue.
I'm not an expert, but wouldn't an F12 'match' sizing-wise better with the Sierra-1s?

I'm guessing you'll be happy with either one - both should sound great (once placed properly) - but if you are one of those who always second-guess their purchases, the only way to guaranteed know you got the best, and since size isn't an issue (btw E15, and F15HP), the only way to be sure is spend the extra money and get the F15HP. Of course, you'll probably want to upgrade your sierra1's at some point to 'match' the potential output levels of the E15 / F15HP.

(I am saving for an E15 - I don't have the space for an F15HP. I have Sierra Towers and will soon be getting a Sierra Tower Center).

sonicboom
03-05-2012, 02:43 AM
I live in Hawaii too and understand the shipping cost issue.
I'm not an expert, but wouldn't an F12 'match' sizing-wise better with the Sierra-1s?

I'm guessing you'll be happy with either one - both should sound great (once placed properly) - but if you are one of those who always second-guess their purchases, the only way to guaranteed know you got the best, and since size isn't an issue (btw E15, and F15HP), the only way to be sure is spend the extra money and get the F15HP. Of course, you'll probably want to upgrade your sierra1's at some point to 'match' the potential output levels of the E15 / F15HP.

(I am saving for an E15 - I don't have the space for an F15HP. I have Sierra Towers and will soon be getting a Sierra Tower Center).

Hi davidknunes@yahoo.com,

I envy you for having the towers. I have 340s. BTW, I live in Kahului, Maui. By any chance, do you live nearby? I would really love to hear the towers if you don't mind. :)

sonicboom
03-05-2012, 02:48 AM
That said, are there any Sierra-1 or Sierra Tower owners in Maui, Hawaii?

davidknunes@yahoo.com
03-05-2012, 05:02 AM
Yes, I live nearby. Only 100 miles away on Oahu. ;)

But seriously, I live in Aiea so that makes auditioning difficult. Sorry.

I couldn't audition the towers before I purchased them, but I did audition the 'commercial' brands as best I could from Best Buy, etc. and brought along an experienced 'audiophile'/engineer friend to help me audition speakers. All the speakers in the tower price range (and substantially above) had issues with my music.

I ended-up relying on the comparisons that many people on this forum and on AVS, etc. have done (re: sierra-1s, Salk, etc. compared to the speakers I was looking at), and 'took the chance'.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I have had many many hours of blissful enjoyment listening to my music on the towers after a hard days work.

(Sorry, just noticed thread title - I *am* going with an E15, but only because I'm space limited. Otherwise would have gone for F15HP. When in doubt, if you can, go F15HP.)