PDA

View Full Version : Rythmik f12 connection options

jonbrinpc
12-27-2011, 03:33 PM
I have a Rythmik f12 on the way and am trying to determine the best way to integrate it into my system, I have a integrated amp with pre outs, should I just connect the sub through that and the speakers separately, or a chain amp-sub-speakers? Also, can I get away without a separate active crossover? Thanks for any thoughts!

jackfish
12-29-2011, 06:47 AM
I have a Rythmik f12 on the way and am trying to determine the best way to integrate it into my system, I have a integrated amp with pre outs, should I just connect the sub through that and the speakers separately, or a chain amp-sub-speakers? Also, can I get away without a separate active crossover? Thanks for any thoughts!
You should be able to connect it with the integrated amp pre outs into the line in inputs on the F12. Use the initial setup settings found here: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4432 You don't need a separate active crossover, the subwoofer has its own low pass filter. I would set the "CROSSOVER" on the F12 at the low frequency -3dB specification for your loudspeakers. You should then set "SUBWOOFER", "LOW PASS" at 80Hz/24 or 50Hz/24 depending on that crossover setting (Between 80Hz and 50Hz use 80/24, and below 50Hz use 50Hz/24). Then you might have to play around with settings to see if you can gain improvement. With this configuration your loudspeakers will run full range so getting the low pass filter to complement the natural low frequency roll off of your loudspeakers will be key. If your loudspeakers roll off closer to the 80Hz point and your integrated also has pre in jacks you could try configuring things through the F12 thusly: preamp out from integrated to line in inputs of F12, line out outputs of F12 to pre in inputs of integrated amp, "SUBWOOFER", "LOW PASS" on F12 set at 80Hz/24 and "CROSSOVER" around 80Hz. In all examples above your loudspeakers will be connected to the speaker terminals of your integrated amp.

jonbrinpc
12-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the help! Any suggestions on a sub $100 pair of interconnects? My go to (Audioquest Blue Racer) doesn't seem to be available at the moment.

jackfish
12-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the help! Any suggestions on a sub $100 pair of interconnects? My go to (Audioquest Blue Racer) doesn't seem to be available at the moment.I'm probably not the person to talk to about interconnects as I am wont to believe that any flexible, good quality cable should work well. I use inexpensive Steren Python RCA cable and cannot tell the difference between them and cable that cost 10 to 20 times as much.

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/steren-6-python-series-Tw-254-207IV%20D29357

http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/catalog_type_page/ProductCode/106585

If that doesn't appeal to you I could also live with Blue Jeans Cable.

jonbrinpc
12-31-2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks again, I was actually starting to look into Bluejean yesterday when I noticed them popping up on the forums.

jonbrinpc
01-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Starting to integrate the f12 into my system, I don't have many placement options, but am looking to tighten up the low frequencies a bit, which settings on the sub would affect this the most? Also, as there isn't a power switch, do you all tend to leave it plugged in and on the whole time or unplug when not in use?

Mag_Neato
01-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Starting to integrate the f12 into my system, I don't have many placement options, but am looking to tighten up the low frequencies a bit, which settings on the sub would affect this the most? Also, as there isn't a power switch, do you all tend to leave it plugged in and on the whole time or unplug when not in use?

There is a 3-way horizontal sliding power switch. ON-AUTO-OFF.
I keep mine on AUTO so it is triggered by the input to turn on.

jackfish
01-16-2012, 06:36 AM
Starting to integrate the f12 into my system, I don't have many placement options, but am looking to tighten up the low frequencies a bit, which settings on the sub would affect this the most? Also, as there isn't a power switch, do you all tend to leave it plugged in and on the whole time or unplug when not in use?I use the AUTO ON/LIMITER OFF selection. It sounds like you might need to use EQ to gain further enhancement of your subwoofer's sound. You would use the LINE IN inputs, adjust the phase according to Rythmik's instructions. BASS EXTENSION, FREQ 14, DAMPING HI should be used. If you have it set to SUBWOOFER, LOW PASS at 80Hz/24 or 50Hz/24, you can then adjust the "CROSSOVER" dial for further refinement. Then use a test CD and SPL meter to dial in the EQ for your room/placement. From your listening position test the sound level on a frequency sweep and nulls and peaks should become evident. This will suggest the EQ settings. You will have to only deal with the strongest null or peak as the PEQ is only one band.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/phase.html
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/amplifier_controls.html