PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

Dark Ranger
11-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Hello to all the folks here on the Ascend forum!

Yes, it was time to stop lurking. I’ve followed many of the Ascend/Rythmik threads here and over at AVS for the past couple of years. So without further ado, I’d like to give my own kudos to Ascend Acoustics and Rythmik Audio. They have a refreshing blend of quality, customer service, and passion for excellence. You guys have earned a customer for life, but here’s the kicker: I do not yet own any Ascend/Rythmik products! I have never heard Dave’s bookshelf monitors or Brian’s servo subs in person. OK, wait a minute, how can I make such a bold claim here? It’s quite simple, really. One can learn a lot about someone by watching how they interact with other people over time, whether family, friends, or customers. I have been impressed with the consistent integrity and straightforward manner, whether discussing technical specifications, competitor products, or customer feedback (both positive and negative). My financial situation has improved, so I intended to show my support for these two companies in a tangible way.

With that said, I placed an order for a Rythmik F15SE back in early October (I was aware of the back-ordered components). Anyway, I was talking to a friend last week and mentioned the order as a Christmas present to myself. She was curious about it, so I gave a few details about the product and company. She was a bit skeptical (understandably) when I got to the part about “Internet Direct” and ordering back in October. Here’s my point: she asked me if I trust “them.” I think we’ve all heard horror stories of buying sight-unseen from someone you haven’t met. My answer to her? “Yes, I trust them completely. I have no concerns.” I don’t think it gets much better than that.

A bit of background on me: I am an audio enthusiast and music fan(addict). I have nearly a decade invested in the live audio environment—setting up, working the show, tearing it down, and packing it all up again. I’ve done concerts, theatrical events, and large worship gatherings. I’ve worked with some very talented audio engineers and seasoned roadies. Although I’m retired from that life now, those experiences made a deep impact on me, and the love of audio and music will always play a large part in my life.

Now on to the fun stuff. My current system is modest, but gets the job done. Thanks to some recent good fortune, I’ve been researching and planning everything involved with this major upgrade. Over the next 1– 2 years, I will move from a traditional AVR to separates, plus a completely upgraded front soundstage, subwoofer, and room treatment. My goal is the pursuit of a more accurate, balanced, and refined sound without straying too far into the realm of diminishing financial returns. I have selected Ascend and Rythmik for the “voice” in my new system based on available technical data, but more importantly, customer feedback and reviews. The servo sub was ordered first for a couple of reasons. Next up will be Sierra-1s across the front (near-field setup), followed by source/amplification components, and finally room treatments (there are other factors involved that prevent me from putting up room treatment just yet).

I look forward to the journey and I am very excited to finally be part of the Ascend/Rythmik family! Thank you!

soundseeker
11-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Welcome Dark Ranger.

I am curious about the seperates you are or will be considering. I'm currently driving my Sierras with a Denon 1909 AVR and have thought about adding a seperate amp. The problem with my Denon is that it doesn't have pre-outs yet I want to keep the ability to apply Audyssey room correction, perhaps even moving up to MultEQ XT32.

Dark Ranger
11-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Hi soundseeker,

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've got an older Denon with no pre-outs. It also does not support HDMI or any of the newer AV codecs (DTS:MA, etc.). I figured might as well make the jump to separates at this point.

Having said that, I haven't fully decided on a pre/pro since it depends when and what two specific companies bring to the market. I'm quite interested in the Emotiva XMC-1 and the Outlaw 978. Both of these processors have yet to be released, but the alleged specifications are tempting. My budget for this component is $1.5K or less. Of course, I've also considered just upgrading to an AVR with pre-outs. Newest tech (codecs, Audyssey, etc.) plus dedicated amp capability. Something like a Denon AVR-3312CI or Marantz SR6005. I'll give Emotiva and Outlaw more time before I make a decision.

Amplifiers: I've narrowed it down to the Emotiva XPA series for several reasons, two of which are value for money and Class A/B performance. Probably end up with XPA-5 for starters, followed by XPA-2 for mains.