PDA

View Full Version : Sierra's in Paradise

cotten999
05-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Aloha! We have recently retired to Honolulu and the downsizing of the HT is now almost complete. Came from a home that had two set-ups, which included a vintage 2-channel system anchored with a Macintosh MA-6450 Amp and Rectilinear III floor speakers. The amp made the trip, but, alas the III's did not, but a pair of Smaller Advents did. The Advents and Macintosh are in storage.

The HT originally consisted of the Outlaw 990 Preamp and the Outlaw 7700 amp. However, these units were too large and bulky to fit in any cabinet. We then decided to buy a Pioneer Elite SC-25 receiver. The speakers were Mission 77 series. The Outlaws are in storage as well.

Although the sound on the Missions were satisfactory, we felt we needed to streamline our living room even more. Space is a premium here and searched for a modern and more compact replacement for the Mission Towers and Center began. While searching I came across the Sierra-1 line and felt these would be perfect. They had me at "bamboo". They just arrived today and so far they sound great. Very clean. Watched "Master and Commander". Never sounded more realistic!

I was able to combine the best of the vintage set-up (Revox reel & Dual turntable) along with a DVD player and Apple TV. We now have a very compact and versatile set-up that allows us to listen to virtually any format (do have a cassette deck, but will transfer these tapes to reel later).

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I am very excited about the new speakers and even more excited of getting comfortable in our new tropical setting. The bamboo cabinets closed the deal. Attached are Before and After pics.

Mahalo!

bilesteve
05-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I think we are of the same vintage, lava lamp, Rectilinear, Dual and Revox, all that I know/knew very well. Congratulations on the new toys and keep the old toys since someone somewhere is going to want them.:)

cotten999
05-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks, enjoying the Sierra's very much. Now if only I can figure out a way to hook up the gramophone to them...

curtis
05-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Cotten...you have all five Sierras in or on the cabinet?

How are they configured through the receiver? Are you listening to movies in 5.1?

cotten999
05-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Cotten...you have all five Sierras in or on the cabinet?
How are they configured through the receiver? Are you listening to movies in 5.1?

Curtis, I have three Sierra's (L,C,R) in the cabinet. The surrounds are still the Mission 77 series, which I have temporarily placed on top of the cabinet. Eventually will get new surrounds and will mount them on the opposite wall, but need to have in-wall wiring done first.

Listening to movies in 5.1 using Mirage LF-150 sub. Although I'm not getting the full separation in this set-up, the quality of the sound more than compensates for it. The room size is fairly small at 15' x 19' x 8-1/2' high.

davidknunes@yahoo.com
06-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Welcome to Hawaii!!!!!!!!! (I live in Aiea, by the "middle" of the island --- next to Pearlridge shopping center)

I hope you are enjoying your speakers as much as you are enjoying the new neighborhood! Hope you didn't ship any winter clothes (or anything else besides shorts and light shirts)! :)

Enjoy!

David Nunes

cotten999
06-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Welcome to Hawaii!!!!!!!!!
Mahalo, David.

I hope you are enjoying your speakers as much as you are enjoying the new neighborhood!

The speakers are sounding better and better as they get more broken into. I have never owned (or even heard) speakers that were so clean. Despite spending a lot of outside time here, we still get to use them about five hours a day. We have a vast iTunes and DVD library which we need to get through. Right now going through all six seasons of Lost. It's like watching it for the first time.

Hope you didn't ship any winter clothes (or anything else besides shorts and light shirts)! :)
Yes, we did bring some winter clothes. But only for traveling.