PDA

View Full Version : The new guy has something to say!

jbistany
04-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Hello Everyone!

I'm not one to post on forums or do the facebook thing but felt compelled to write back and maybe help someone trying to decide as I was about buying Ascend speakers. I did a lot of research and invested in a lot of time listening to speakers in the 2K a pair price range. I found myself in information overload and started to suffer from analysis paralysis with all the different speaker choices and lingo out there! So I shifted gears and just purchased a pair of CMT – 340SE last week. I have been closely listening since Friday night and the speakers are very impressive for the price point they play in. So far I couldn’t be happier about pulling the trigger and here’s why!

I have 3 points of reference to compare the new speakers; 1. I'm replacing a set of Infinity towers and the Ascends blow them away to say the least (that was expected). 2. My best friend has some higher dollar B&Wcm8 as mains, not sure what B&W model for the surrounds, running on one of the higher end Denon’s not sure of the model, in a dedicated theater room in his 6K sq. ft. house. Lucky guy, he has a bit more coin to spend on toys then I do. Anyway, his system does sound better and a little more detailed as you could imagine but the true shock to me is I don’t hear $4,000.00 worth of better sound from his setup vs. mine. After hearing my setup he now agrees! Think he may be buying a pair of Sierras for his bedroom after listening to my 340’S (Upsell for Ascend). 3. My ears. I primarily listen to 2-3 bands so I know just about every note, which to me is the best way to make a comparison.

My setup –Denon 1911, CMT340’s, Infinity center & surrounds, Polk 250 subwoofer and PS3 for music, yes the PS3 for music. I have a Denon CD player DCM-390 but hear no noticeable difference running music off the PS3 via a CD or music copied to the hard drive so I saved some cabinet space and now its collecting dust under my bed. I do get some serious verbal abuse from my audiophile buddies about the PS3 but hey, it is what it is! They say the PS3 is crap for audio but I honestly can’t hear a difference between PS3 and the Denon CD player, I just can’t! I would like to hear if anyone uses the PS3 as a music source and what their take is? Plan on upgrading the surrounds but in no real hurry since I listen to music 80/20 more than movies and the Infinities don’t sound bad at all for movies, besides most movies flat out suck and it seems Hollywood can only crank out one or two decent movies a year! That's my two cents!

soundseeker
04-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Are you using HDMI or the optical output for CD listening? The PS3 as a transport shouldn't be that different from your CD player, and maybe better, if the digital-to-analog conversion is done by your Denon 1911.

Before upgrading the surrounds I would suggest you look getting a matching 340C center channel. I think you would benefit more from having the same speakers across the front soundstage.

jbistany
04-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the response! I'm using HDMI and I certainly will be looking at the rest of the Ascend line up when i get to upgrading the surrounds. Thanks again!

lad578
04-05-2011, 07:47 PM
What Infinity towers are you upgrading from? I am curious to know how much better the 340s are over the infinity speakers. I have Infinity myself and may be looking to upgrade in the near future.

Thanks

jbistany
04-06-2011, 07:59 AM
I had the Primus 250's, got them in 05 and they have done a nice job for entry level speakers. I found them to be much better in home theater setting then music. I was running them on an older Onkyo system and just recently upgraded to a new Denon. That alone made a huge improvement in sound on the Infinity's mainly because of the newer processing capabilities in the Denon and the same would be true for any new receiver. Once I hooked up the 340's it took the sound to the next level. I can promise you'll will be pleased with the Ascends and hear a dramatic difference.

What type of receiver you using?

lad578
04-06-2011, 11:30 AM
I had the Primus 250's, got them in 05 and they have done a nice job for entry level speakers. I found them to be much better in home theater setting then music. I was running them on an older Onkyo system and just recently upgraded to a new Denon. That alone made a huge improvement in sound on the Infinity's mainly because of the newer processing capabilities in the Denon and the same would be true for any new receiver. Once I hooked up the 340's it took the sound to the next level. I can promise you'll will be pleased with the Ascends and hear a dramatic difference.

What type of receiver you using?
Thanks for the reply, I have Infinity Beta 40s being fed by Pioneer SC-07 AVR - I love the receiver and the sound of the Betas is pretty good. There is always this desire to downgrade from the floorstanders to a bookself while upgrading on the sound quality at the same time.
I would hate to spend money on the 340 if it's only going to be a marginal or lateral upgrade.
Appreciate your response.

curtis
04-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have Infinity Beta 40s being fed by Pioneer SC-07 AVR - I love the receiver and the sound of the Betas is pretty good. There is always this desire to downgrade from the floorstanders to a bookself while upgrading on the sound quality at the same time.
I would hate to spend money on the 340 if it's only going to be a marginal or lateral upgrade.
Appreciate your response.
That's why there is a trial period. :)

lad578
04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
That's why there is a trial period. :)
good point, plus shipping is not bad at all.

I guess the real reason I am reluctant to try right now is I have little ones (2 yr and a 2 months old boys) and the metal grills on the Betas keep prying little fingers from getting to the tweeter and drivers.

My real desire is to go all the way to a Sierra-Nrt, but will kick myself if I come home to a ripped/broken driver.

Wonder how one would child-proof these gems :)

jbistany
04-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Lad - I'm thinking with the great pioneer unit you have that the infinity's aren't doing the unit justice. At least it was in my case, having a much nicer unit with inferior speakers. I'm not knocking Infinity's Betas or the Primus series, just think you'll see a big improvement. Try before you buy as Curtis points out.... No clue on child proofing chief, got luck with that! Let us know what you decide, would love to hear your feedback on the Sierra or 340's! Also, your more than welcome if in Houston to stop by and hear the 340's.

bilesteve
04-06-2011, 04:49 PM
I am a Houston area resident and might want to take up your offer for a chance at listening to Ascends sometime. :D

GaryB
04-06-2011, 10:55 PM
My real desire is to go all the way to a Sierra-Nrt, but will kick myself if I come home to a ripped/broken driver.

Wonder how one would child-proof these gems :)The grills on the CBM-170s/HTM-200s (with which I am familiar) take a really determined effort to remove. The Sierras look to use a similar, if not identical type of mounting system for their grills, although someone with first hand experience is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I don't think you'd have a problem.

lad578
04-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Lad - I'm thinking with the great pioneer unit you have that the infinity's aren't doing the unit justice. At least it was in my case, having a much nicer unit with inferior speakers. I'm not knocking Infinity's Betas or the Primus series, just think you'll see a big improvement. Try before you buy as Curtis points out.... No clue on child proofing chief, got luck with that! Let us know what you decide, would love to hear your feedback on the Sierra or 340's! Also, your more than welcome if in Houston to stop by and hear the 340's.
Thank you for your kind invitation, too bad I live so far from you (Seattle area); would have taken you on the offer.

lithoGENE
04-07-2011, 08:37 AM
I am a Houston area resident and might want to take up your offer for a chance at listening to Ascends sometime. :D

hi steve, i live in houston and own sierra-1's (albeit not nrt's). would be happy to let you listen to them.

jbistany
04-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Reach out to me when your ready and we'll work on setting it up. I'm in Humble by lake Houston.

Jeff

bilesteve
04-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I am in Lake Jackson, so I will try to co-ordinate with you in the future.