PDA

View Full Version : Why did I not bUy three to begin with?

smurraybhm
02-04-2011, 08:34 PM
After buying a pair of Sierra 1's last spring I finally decided to buy myself a birthday present this week which was a Sierra 1 center. For the past year I had been using a nice Def Tech center. I have to admit I was hesitant to buy a center that was just like my other two fronts - no comments please - I know - stupid me.

Even after I placed my order Tuesday (great customer service as usual - thank you Dina) buyers remorse hung around and thoughts of needing a traditional center kept popping in and out of my head. To help I re-read some reviews and read positive comments from other Sierra owners who (were smarter than me to have done this sooner) had Sierra's across the front. I also reminded myself about the 30 day trial - don't like it send it back.

Speaker arrived today at work and was hooked up as soon as I got home. My 7.1 setup is powered by a Pioneer Elite SC-07 with an SVS sub with Aperion bipolar speakers on the side and Aperion in-walls for the rears. Typical first class packaging but I found myself wanted to remove the full length grill so I could see some more of that beautiful natural bamboo.

Testing consisted of playing a number of different SACDs (Dark Side, Snow Patrol, Nickle Creek, Dire Straits, Boston, Aerosmith, John Mayer and my one classical disk - even slipped in some Alan Parsons on DVD-A) using an Oppo 93. To put it simply my front soundstage seems to have come alive even more and the Sierra 1 on it's side sounds incredible. Everything I read and doubted about the importance of matching tonality across the front is true. I think that you could just buy three good speakers for your fronts and you'd be set - who needs a horizontal center - okay sometimes they're a must. Tomorrow it is time to do some calibrating due to the new center and watch a few of my favorite blu-rays. My only regret is that I didn't buy the center when I bought the L/R - I've been missing out on some even better sound.

Now I need to bite the bullet and invest in the NTr upgrade - Dave or Dina please let me know when the next batch comes in - I need three kits :)

If you think 2 Sierras sound good wait until you have 3 (wish my room would allow for 5). I am not saying anything new, but the Sierra's are really special and I can't wait to hear what they sound like with new tweeter and crossover. If you're on the fence about the center because it doesn't look like most everyone elses center - get that credit card out and buy it - you won't regret it for a second. Thanks Dave for designing such a kick-ass speaker.

smurraybhm
02-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Spent Sunday watching three different movies and again that feeling of why did I wait so damn long to do this was present. The third Sierra and a little tweaking has given me a front soundstage that sounds perfect to me. Now I understand completely the reasons to match the front three - needless to say my trial period ended about 5 minutes after it started. I am still amazed at the clarity and power that comes from my Sierra gone sideways aka center.

This weekend I will have 6 new SACDs to listen to :cool:

davef
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Spent Sunday watching three different movies and again that feeling of why did I wait so damn long to do this was present. The third Sierra and a little tweaking has given me a front soundstage that sounds perfect to me. Now I understand completely the reasons to match the front three - needless to say my trial period ended about 5 minutes after it started. I am still amazed at the clarity and power that comes from my Sierra gone sideways aka center.

This weekend I will have 6 new SACDs to listen to :cool:

It is all too common for consumers to question why we do not have a "dedicated matching center" to the Sierra-1. Our answer to this will never change; the most important aspect for a high performance home theater system is a seamless front soundstage. The perfect center channel is one that best matches the sound quality, dynamics and dispersion characteristics as the front left/right speakers...

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us and I am very happy that you are enjoying the system :)

kma100
03-07-2011, 12:42 PM
It is all too common for consumers to question why we do not have a "dedicated matching center" to the Sierra-1. Our answer to this will never change; the most important aspect for a high performance home theater system is a seamless front soundstage. The perfect center channel is one that best matches the sound quality, dynamics and dispersion characteristics as the front left/right speakers...

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us and I am very happy that you are enjoying the system :)

Dave - how is the Sierra-1 center when compared to the L/R? Is it identical or are drivers aligned differently?

curtis
03-07-2011, 12:54 PM
The only difference is the center version is meant to be on its side, and the tweeter is rotated 90 degrees.