PDA

View Full Version : The anticipation is killing me!

LemFliggity
01-12-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm waiting for my Sierras to arrive, and the anticipation is killing me. This is going to be my first real system.

I got some money from family for the holidays, and I decided to put some of it toward finally starting a nice system. Until now, I've had a Panasonic home-theater-in-a-box, and it is not kind to music. After weeks and weeks of searching and researching a hundred different options, as if by magic, I found someone selling his year-old Sierra-1 L/C/R set, and better yet, they had the NrT upgrade done a month ago! Stands and q-plugs included! It was more than I planned on spending, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Now I'm trying to see if I can afford a Rythmik subwoofer, because I've caught the bug!

P Seastrand
01-12-2011, 10:53 PM
I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised coming from a theater-in-a-box system. Let us know what you think!

soundseeker
01-13-2011, 09:10 AM
I think I saw those on e-bay. Nice pickup. Yes, do tell us your thoughts.

LemFliggity
01-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the replies P Seastrand and soundseeker!

So... I pulled the trigger and ordered the Rythmik F12. I overshot by budget doing so, and my den is only just 1000 cu ft., so I don't think I'll miss the 3 dB boost I'd get from the F15. Plus, skimming some threads here, it seems I can split the RCA inputs and get that 3 dB boost with the F12. Is that right? It also seems like Audyssey MultiEQ doesn't play nice with Rythmik, unless you fiddle with some dials that I'm still learning about. It looks like I have some reading to do! :D

curtis
01-13-2011, 11:29 AM
TPlus, skimming some threads here, it seems I can split the RCA inputs and get that 3 dB boost with the F12. Is that right? It also seems like Audyssey MultiEQ doesn't play nice with Rythmik, unless you fiddle with some dials that I'm still learning about. It looks like I have some reading to do! :D
This is incorrect.

What the "splitting of the RCA inputs" does is just changes the original signal the sub sees. In essence, it is just like turning the volume know up. The sub doesn't all of a sudden have more capability.

Audessey is a hit or miss with any setup...it is not specific to Rythmik.

LemFliggity
01-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks, curtis.

As for Audyssey, the den probably isn't the best listening room, but it's all I have. It's small, with painted walls, hardwood floors, and two windows. A lot of reflective surfaces, correct? Bear with me, I'm new to this. I do have a throw rug that will sit between the couch/reading chair and the Sierras, and venetian blinds on the windows. The room is 12.5' x 9.8' with 8 ft ceilings, but I have to position the set up on the long wall instead of the short wall as recommended. So I'm working with a less-than-ideal setup, and I'm hoping Audyssey will correct for that. Hoping.

curtis
01-13-2011, 12:02 PM
All you can do is try. If you like what Audessey does, use it. If you don't, don't use it. Bottomline...don't assume the changes Audessey makes are correct or absolute.

If you take some pictures, the community here can help you with placement.

Above all, don't worry about it too much...remember to enjoy.

LemFliggity
01-13-2011, 03:43 PM
curtis, thanks again.

Here's a diagram of the den that I did when I was renovating last year. There is a potted tea plant in the bottom right corner now, but that will be moved, because I think I'm putting the sub there. There is a painting over the bookshelf on the left, and over the couch, a few small hanging pictures and a clock, and venetian blinds on the windows. Also, a ceiling fan.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss126/bgblue09/den-diagram-1.jpg

curtis
01-14-2011, 11:43 AM
I think things look pretty good there. Just don't tuck the speakers into the corners or close to the sidewall.

LemFliggity
01-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks curtis. I was a little concerned about the roughly square shape of the room. I've read that it's not optimal.

Here's where I'm at. I can move things forward a little to try to maximize the space behind the mains. In the diagram below, there is about 1 foot of clearance between the wall and the back of the pedestals. Is that enough? How important is it to have the three front speakers on the same plane? Is there a tolerance of a couple inches? Obviously each room is different, but would you expect to get better sub sound from the bottom or the top right corner? Or between the TV and right speaker?

I'm sure I'm getting ahead of myself - the speakers aren't even here yet! I'm just very excited and I like to be prepared. Now my only remaining task is to find a center speaker mount.

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss126/bgblue09/room.jpg

Thanks again for the advice!