PDA

View Full Version : Question about subwoofer design

z0rn0rch
11-26-2010, 12:30 PM
This is a question for Brian and/or Davef. All the dual driver subs I've seen use two of the same type of woofer. If a crossover were built in to a sub, presumably it could have a 15/18" driver handle 8-32hz and a 12" driver handle 32-100hz. I'm assuming that there's some good reason not to do this or we'd see designs like that more often, but I'd be interested to know what the pros and cons of this approach would be.

davef
12-03-2010, 01:57 AM
I don't believe there would much benefit to this. You would have to have dual chambers in the subwoofer as opposed to one and the subwoofer would be vey large and expensive yet would not be competitive in output to other subwoofers the same size.

In your configuration, having a separate smaller woofer handle upper bass while a larger woofer handled lower bass can objectively offer a more accurate upper bass response but I have doubts that this would be audible - while at the same time, the overall efficiency of this configuration in producing deep bass and high spl's would be greatly compromised...