PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

Son of Mad Dog
11-23-2010, 05:45 PM
I have been a member for a long time after finding ascend on AVS. but finally got a job again and now have some money saved up. My old setup burned out some time ago and I have been limping along with a pair of pc speakers hooked up to my tv. Not the best situation.

Some about me. I grew up with a father that listened to any and all music. Save country. He still has his NAD setup. (although the towers were upgraded in mid 90's to newer NAD.) I miss this quality sound. He also just created his dream home theater room with martin logan center and FL with BW in ceiling's for his rear and surround.

Currently I have:
Samsung 46" LED tv (non 3d)
xbox 360
ps3
wii

all roped together. with a plan to be purchasing an Onkyo SR707 or SR608 from AC4l.com fairly soon.

Looking to pair a decent set of loudspeakers with this as a 2.0 setup for now with possibly expanding to a 2.1 and eventually 5.1 (once I have a house.) I would prefer not to have to go to seperate amps for them.

The setup will be used to play movies/tv/games/ and music. (either pandora or blue ray music via the ps3.)

currently looking at either a pair of CE-340-SE's or (if I can convince the wife) Sierra's in Dark Cherry. Main question is will I be able to live with the 2.0 sound from a pair of ce-340's (now 130 dollars more than when I last looked at them.) or should I go Sierra and never upgrade again.

The room is an odd layout but is not overly bright. there is a blanket hung on one wall and carpets on the hard floors. (roughly 15ft by 20ft but adjoining the kitchen and dining nook.)
http://www.westendlodge.com/images/WEL_timberline.jpg

now for a silly question. i have a pair of dogs, one of which sheds a LOT (gsd/lab mix) could this be a problem for the speakers? (since they arent sealed enclosures.)

finally,
Howdy

-Luke

davef
12-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Hi Luke,

Welcome to the forum!

A dog that sheds a lot is definitely not a problem for any of our loudspeakers. What might happen is that dog hair will end up all over the speaker grilles but a light vacuuming or even one of those pet hair brushes will keep the grilles looking like new.

From your post, it seems that you do not have plans to use a subwoofer with the speakers for quite some time. If this is the case, I would strongly recommend the Sierra-1 over our CMT-340 SE as the Sierra-1 are much more of a full range speaker compared the 340’s.

Hope this helps and please feel free to send me an email or PM.

Son of Mad Dog
12-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Dave,

After seeing that you may be coming out with new products fairly soon I decided to hold off. Those Towers look AWFULLY tempting.