PDA

View Full Version : After five years

Lucas
11-17-2010, 05:00 PM
After doing a year or so of research online of what i wanted, I finally decided the Ascends were the speakers for me. So about five years (maybe six) ago i ordered a few 340s and a set of 170s for the rear, along with a yamaha rx-v2500 receiver and a SVS PB-12plus.
Before this the best "system" I had been around was a **** setup. So naturally I was very impressed with this new setup. The detail and clarity was amazing. I could hear things in music and movies that I never knew were there. I listened mostly to music at decent levels but not too loud. Until recently. I finally purchased a bluray player this last year, and have begun watching movies like i bought the setup for. Watching action movies at close to reference makes me giggle like a little girl. I find myself picking movies out by how well they will sound versus the context of the movie.
Also, in this last few months with the bluray player, i have started listen to music at higher levels, as it is a much better cd player then the xbox is. I must say after five years of listening to the ascends, they still amaze me and put a big smile on my face every time i turn the big knob clockwise. I have been listening to music lately on the "pure direct" function on the receiver so there is not any processing, and therefore no sub. I never really tried that before because i wanted to use the subwoofer. But having listened to a few albums without it, I still cant believe how good these speakers sound, and how much bass they actually put out. I listen to a lot of Tool, Dream Theatre/Liquid Tension Experiment.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new towers, as i am ready to expand my setup. I was going to upgrade the sub first, as I am not content with its output anymore during movies, but thats another story. And I cant wait to hear the new towers in my living room.:D

I look forward to doing business with Dave again as he builds top notch equipment and has great customer service before AND AFTER purchase. You can just look at the forums here and over on the AVS board to see that.

Not the most technical review, but definitely one very satisfied customer!