PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-1 vs. Sierra-1 NrT

Cooksons
11-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Hello all. First off, I would like to thank Dave F. for his graciousness in allowing me to A/B compare the Sierra-1s and Sierra-1 NrTs as I was picking up my new set of Sierra-1s last Friday. At the end of the listening session, he suggested that I post my impressions in the Ascend Acoustics forum, so here goes.

Dave had kindly set up both stereo speaker sets with an analog switch such that I could easily swap speaker sets with no transition delay. This allowed a really great comparison. I had never heard either speaker, but I was immediately impressed with the clarity of both sets. With both, I could hear details and textures in my music that I never knew existed. However, after a minute of listening, I could tell that I liked the NrTs better. They were more forward, or had a bit more presence, in the mids and highs. Maybe "less laid back" is the appropriate phrase. Also, the highs with the NrTs were more crisp and had more "air." It was like the tweeters had more room to breathe. Dave described the NrTs as "more open," and after listening for a bit, I agree. Overall, I loved the way that the NrTs sounded so much that it was hard to switch back to the Sierra-1s after a few flips. ...not at all because the originals sounded bad, but the NrTs just sounded that extra bit better :)

So, needless to say, I am on the NrT pre-order list :) Actually, I just paid to upgrade my 5 Sierra-1s yesterday and can't wait for the results. I also purchased a Rythmik F15 sub that I haven't had time to hook up yet (I just moved, and boxes are everywhere). Dave mentioned that many people don't bother to use a sub with the Sierras for stereo listening, and I can understand why. At reasonable volumes, I was immediately struck by how much bass the Sierra woofers put out. However, at higher listening levels (about at my threshold for pleasurable listening), I felt that the Sierras could have been aided by a little more bass authority. I got the impression that the lower frequency output wasn't quite keeping up with the higher frequency output (which didn't feel at all strained), although my ears could have been desensitized by that point as it was pretty loud :) Anyway, I think that I will at least try hooking up the Rythmik for listening in stereo mode.

Overall, it was a wonderfully pleasurable listening experience, and thanks again to Dave for hooking me up. I actually left having worked up a slight sweat from the pure enjoyment of hearing a few of my favorite tracks in this wonderful new light. My wife didn't seem to understand, but I hope that some of you will :)

Cheers,

Scott

Mag_Neato
11-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the mini review! Don't know how I missed this until now?

I am waiting for the NrT kits for my 2 Sierra-1's. I wish I could do an A/B listening comparison as you have, but It's a bit of a drive to Ascend! Good to know the money spent will result in such a noticeable improvement. It's actually a good thing I am so far away, otherwise I would have already gone to audition the prototype tower and would feel the need to have those at all costs!:(

curtis
11-14-2011, 10:45 AM
hejsan jag undrar om någon eller var jag kan få tag i en original luftburk till ford sierra v6a 88:an.. är väldigt stort behov av en och betalar såklart för en, hoppas någon har en liggandes.

Translated from Swedish:
"hello I was wondering if anyone or where I can get hold of an original airbox to ford sierra v6a 88: an .. is very great need for a course and pay for one, hope someone has one laying around."

Sorry...this is an audio site. I don't think we will be of much help to you.

Translated to Swedish:
Tyvärr ... det här är en ljud-sajt. Jag tror inte vi kommer att vara till stor hjälp för dig.

JustaSheep
11-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Man, Curtis, you are multi-talented!

curtis
11-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Man, Curtis, you are multi-talented!
LOL! Google Translate works very well!

kanita
12-09-2014, 10:26 PM
With the NrTs, I really dislike having to put on the headphones. The NrTs crush my headphones in every way, except of course the "waking people up at 1am" thing. But now I really notice a big SQ hit when I put on the headphones--even in detail, which is really impressive.