PDA

View Full Version : Newbie on board

soundseeker
11-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Greetings all,

I've been lurking on this forum for several weeks and just joined recently. I became aware of the Sierra-1 speaker doing research on possible replacements for my front R/L. I've found a lot of very positive reviews. So, after talking it over with the wife, I called Dina today and ordered a pair of the reconditioned units in natural bamboo color. It was a deal that looked impossible to pass up.

I'm currently running Wharfedale speakers in my home theater. Diamond 9.1 FL & FR, Diamond.CC, and WH-2 as surrounds. I also have a Diamond SW-150 in the corner. The Sierra-1s will be replacing the front L&R Diamond 9.1s. The system is fed by my Denon 1909 AVR. I'm really looking forward to hearing the difference/improvements with the Sierras.

My use is about 50/50 home theater and 2-channel CDs. I'm keeping the Diamond.CC for now with the hope of eventually replacing it with the Sierra center.

Jan

DougMac
11-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Greetings all,

I'm keeping the Diamond.CC for now with the hope of eventually replacing it with the Sierra center.

Jan
Jan,
Welcome to the forum! Be sure to post your impressions of the Sierras when you get them set up.

I'm glad your plans include replacing your center. I'm not familiar with the Wharfedale and your center may be a fine speaker, but speaker brands tend to have their own sound (I guess that's why there are so many). There's a good chance that the timbre of the Sierra's and the Wharfedale will be different. I watch plenty of movies and other content where sounds in the center are panned either partially or completely to the left or right speakers. If you don't have matched L/C/R's that can lead to a noticeable and probably annoying change in sound.