PDA

View Full Version : Mixing subs

Lucas
09-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Hopefully this summer I will be able to expand my HT system to include a few more speakers (once Dave gets those towers out:D) and add another subwoofer.

I currently have the SVS 12 Ultra from about 5 years ago or so. I have been looking into the rythmiks and like what i have seen so far from others opinions.
I do not know if i would go after the 12 or the 15 yet. I would say its about a 50/50 mix between music and HT, though i generally watch movies a little louder then the music (unless the better half isnt around:)). Not at reference, but it sure isnt quiet.
Would the rythmik and svs compliment each other, or would the svs sound quality ruin the quality of the rythmik? Any issues having a 15 and a 12" sub together, or is it generally better to stay with the same size?
Ideas? Thoughts?

On a side note, I havent been able to locate a picture of the matte black finish on the rythmiks, anybody got a picture of one? I figured it would be close enough to the svs and ascends that i have.

davef
09-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Hopefully this summer I will be able to expand my HT system to include a few more speakers (once Dave gets those towers out:D) and add another subwoofer.

I currently have the SVS 12 Ultra from about 5 years ago or so. I have been looking into the rythmiks and like what i have seen so far from others opinions.
I do not know if i would go after the 12 or the 15 yet. I would say its about a 50/50 mix between music and HT, though i generally watch movies a little louder then the music (unless the better half isnt around:)). Not at reference, but it sure isnt quiet.
Would the rythmik and svs compliment each other, or would the svs sound quality ruin the quality of the rythmik? Any issues having a 15 and a 12" sub together, or is it generally better to stay with the same size?
Ideas? Thoughts?

On a side note, I havent been able to locate a picture of the matte black finish on the rythmiks, anybody got a picture of one? I figured it would be close enough to the svs and ascends that i have.

Hi Lucas,

I do not recommend using any ported subwoofer together with a sealed direct-servo Rythmik. The two subwoofers sound very different from each other and would not blend well.

Also, with regard to the black matte finish, it is the same finish as our CMT-340 / CBM-170. Take a look at a close-up here: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/images/products/speakers/cmt340m/340se_lt_ng_hr.jpg -- which should give you a very good idea of the finish.

Hope this helps and please feel free to post any additional questions.

Lucas
09-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Hmmm, so rythmik is out of the question then huh? I dont think two rythmiks are in the budget, guess i will have to get another svs then.

Thanks Dave for the finish information, as I have the matte 340s and 170s and was wondering if it would match.

davef
09-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Hmmm, so rythmik is out of the question then huh? I dont think two rythmiks are in the budget, guess i will have to get another svs then..

Why not simply go with a a single 15" Rythmik to replace the 12"? Why sacrifice sound quality just to keep the 12" in the system?

That being said, please confirm which SVS you are using? I am assuming you are using the old PB-12 Ultra, correct?

Do you feel that you need more output than your current subwoofer is capable of? Also, please post your room dimensions.

Thanks!

Lucas
09-22-2010, 05:21 PM
That is an option, but i am wanting more output. The sound level i have been watching movies at has been making the sub pop on occasion and i have had to turn it down.

The current room is 15x20 with an 8' ceiling. Two small hallways on the left side, sub is in the corner in the right front. I have 340 fronts and center with 170 rears, and yes it is the older (about 5 years i think) pb ultra 12. using a a yamaha receiver. I plan on getting your towers next summer if they are ready, moving the 340s to the rear and 170s as the sides. Plenty for this room, but am in the process of getting a new house and seems like everything i have been looking at is much more open with vaulted ceilings.

azanon
09-23-2010, 08:50 PM
That is an option, but i am wanting more output. The sound level i have been watching movies at has been making the sub pop on occasion and i have had to turn it down.

The current room is 15x20 with an 8' ceiling. Two small hallways on the left side, sub is in the corner in the right front. I have 340 fronts and center with 170 rears, and yes it is the older (about 5 years i think) pb ultra 12. using a a yamaha receiver. I plan on getting your towers next summer if they are ready, moving the 340s to the rear and 170s as the sides. Plenty for this room, but am in the process of getting a new house and seems like everything i have been looking at is much more open with vaulted ceilings.

I doubt it's popping because you're demanding too much of it. That sub is just too capable given your room size.

I check for ground loop problems, or something with your cords, or maybe something in the sub is broke.

davef
09-27-2010, 01:24 AM

I have experienced the exact same problem with this subwoofer. Have you tried a different port tune frequency?

That being said, I was never a fan of this particular model and upgrading to (2) Rythmiks would provide a very noticable upgrade in both sound quality and overall performance. Your room is not too large -- a pair of the standard F15's would be perfect -- especially if you are planning to upgrade to our forthcoming towers ;) Like with our Sierra-1, Rythmik subs are the perfect match...

Lucas
09-27-2010, 05:40 PM
I haven't tried different porting yet. I have been thinking about that, it is wide open right now.

Two 15s would be great, problem is. by the time i save up for the second one. It will be vastly different and wont match the first 15 i bought:cool: