PDA

View Full Version : 340s Review

curtis
06-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Welcome and thanks for posting. Imagine the soundstage you would have if you had a 340 center. [:D]

May I ask what swayed you to try the CMT-340's when you already had Axioms?

-curtis

chadmat
06-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Curtis,

Greetings. The main reason for me going with the 340s was they seem to be reviewed as a tad less bright than the Axioms and have a great midrange. I am extremely happy with the QS8 rears and somewhat happy with the VP150, but wont be able to swing the Ascend center unless I can sell the VP150.

The 340s also seem capable of more headroom and play lower in the bass, which will allow me to cross them over with a subwoofer at a lower frequency (I think 60hz is going to work great). Since my room is 21x14 with high ceilings, I thought the larger bookshelf might be a better choice. I think Axioms are an excellent value all around and wouldn't trade my QS8s, but I sure like the Ascend sound now. Now if I can only sell the VP150, any tips for selling a used center? Thanks,

Chad

curtis
06-11-2004, 12:21 AM
I bet you could sell it over on the Axiom board.

-curtis

metalaaron
06-12-2004, 07:01 AM
i can be of assistance here. i had axioms a while back (including the vp150). i tried the cmt-340c with the axiom system only to find out that this is EXTREMELY hard to critique.

i first lost interest in my vp150 when the ncaa playoffs were on. the sound was just entirely too bright for me and there was a lot of sibilance coming through the speaker at times (even on some dvds). i found myself turning my stereo system off before i was finished listening to CDs. i was disappointed as heck because i couldn't enjoy what i purchased! :( so - i sold them on audiogon.com.

i've recently tried cbm-170s against my paradigm studio 20s. let me tell you without a doubt that dave and co. have created something phenomenal with the cbm-170s. IMHO they should put the text, "irrefutably unbeatable at this price range" on their website without any worries.