PDA

View Full Version : Footers on F12's

Eric
06-09-2010, 12:25 PM
I am loving my 2 F12's in my 2 channel set up. They do not come with cones of any kind. What are y'all using under yours?

curtis
07-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Previously, I was not using anything under my F15, but a few months ago I attached furniture sliders to the bottom.

mleuba
05-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi Curtis,
What was your purpose with the sliders? I am looking at the F15SE and wondering about the spikes for carpet over concrete in my basement.

Regards,
Mark

curtis
05-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi Curtis,
What was your purpose with the sliders? I am looking at the F15SE and wondering about the spikes for carpet over concrete in my basement.

Makes it easier to slide the sub around on the hardwood floor without messing up the finish of either.

For carpet over concrete, the spikes won't give you a sonic benefit.

Jeff52
08-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Makes it easier to slide the sub around on the hardwood floor without messing up the finish of either.

For carpet over concrete, the spikes won't give you a sonic benefit.

Curtis, does this apply to floor standing speakers:spikes for carpet over concrete?

curtis
08-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Curtis, does this apply to floor standing speakers:spikes for carpet over concrete?
Yes.

Jeff52
08-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Yes.

Curtis, thank you but can you comment on the purpose of having spikes, are there no sonic benefits just with carpet over concrete, or do they have a benefit with carpet over something else besides concrete. I'm serious about this, I have been using spikes for many years with carpet over concrete, is it detrimental or just does not have have any sonic benefits. What would you advise with a tower speaker with thick carpet over concrete? Sorry for all the questions, I have heard this before but never truly understood why spikes with carpet/concrete have no sonic benefit. Thanks for the time my friend.
Jeff

curtis
08-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Concrete doesn't vibrate or resonate. The reason for spikes are to reduce the transmission of vibrations to the floor. Since concrete doesn't vibrate or resonate, there is no need for the spikes.

There is no detriment in using the spikes, just that in this case, they are not needed.

Here's an interesting article on the subject of spikes and cones:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/speaker-spikes-and-cones-2013-what2019s-the-point

Jeff52
08-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Concrete doesn't vibrate or resonate. The reason for spikes are to reduce the transmission of vibrations to the floor. Since concrete doesn't vibrate or resonate, there is no need for the spikes.

There is no detriment in using the spikes, just that in this case, they are not needed.

Here's an interesting article on the subject of spikes and cones:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/speaker-spikes-and-cones-2013-what2019s-the-point

Thanks Curtis, really helps