PDA

View Full Version : On the verge of purchasing...just need a push

claytont
06-03-2010, 07:43 AM
I have narrowed it down to Ascend and Axiom. I hear many great reviews about the Ascends, but they seem to be mainly from music listeners. Would you consider the Ascends to be a better music speaker than HT?

Also, if I was to choose Ascend, is there much value in getting the Sierras over the 340's if I do not care about low extension and bass? I am mainly concerned with mids and highs as I will be crossing over to my sub at 80hz.

Axiom: M22, VP100 and QS4 surrounds

Ascend: CMT 340 L/C/R or Sierra L/C/R

Room: 2500 - 3000^ft
AVR: Denon 790
Sub: LFM1+

Thanks!

curtis
06-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Been following your thread over on AVS.

In regards to the Sierra vs the 340SE. The Sierra definitely has better mids and highs, the 340SE's probably have the edge in output. Both can handle your room size.

How far from the speakers do you plan on sitting?

The Axiom M22 is a very nice speaker, but in terms of performance, it is more comparable to the CBM-170SE.

claytont
06-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Well I figured I was going to go crazy if I kept doing research so I went for it and ordered L/C/R Sierras. Now got to be patient and hopefully notice the difference from my old Sony fronts and Polk center.

What is the breakin period for these? During this time should they be listened to on moderate volumes?

curtis
06-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Well I figured I was going to go crazy if I kept doing research so I went for it and ordered L/C/R Sierras. Now got to be patient and hopefully notice the difference from my old Sony fronts and Polk center.

What is the breakin period for these? During this time should they be listened to on moderate volumes?
What finish did you get?

There will definitely be a difference from your old speakers.

I wouldn't worry about how to break them in....just use them.

claytont
06-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Got the expresso finish...should make the wife happy as long as she doesn't find out the price

indulger
06-03-2010, 05:11 PM
It's not the speakers that usually get us guys in trouble. It's all the additional accessories:D

AV Receiver
Bluray player
Subwoofers
tv/av cabinet
connection cables
speaker cables
banana plugs
sub dudes/gramma's
mopads
surrounds
mounts
projector
drilling holes in ceilings and walls

Can you say cancel Christmas, birthday and fathers day for the rest of my life:eek:

claytont
06-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Got the Sierra mains today...still waiting on the center and some stands to be delivered tomorrow...just a little tease today. So currently listening in 2.1 with them sitting on the floor w/o running Audyssey yet, these are impressive. Looking forward to getting everything tomorrow and get em properly calibrated and test some blueray.

claytont
06-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Definitely enjoying my Sierras so far...the sound quality is excellent. My only concern is when I am watching movies, I seem to have to crank up the volume much louder than I had to before. It isnt a problem in my current setup, but down the road when I move I might be sitting further from the speakers (currently at 10 ft). Contemplating giving the 340s a try due to their higher efficiency.

davef
06-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Definitely enjoying my Sierras so far...the sound quality is excellent. My only concern is when I am watching movies, I seem to have to crank up the volume much louder than I had to before. It isnt a problem in my current setup, but down the road when I move I might be sitting further from the speakers (currently at 10 ft). Contemplating giving the 340s a try due to their higher efficiency.

Turning the volume up higher on your receiver is never a problem. Consumers, in general, often feel like they are doing something wrong when they turn the volume up as so few actually understand how gain, efficiency, and power are related.

When you turn the volume up louder on your receiver, how close are you to the maximum position? It is also important to understand that audio volume controls are not linear, they are logarithmic.

claytont
06-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Turning the volume up higher on your receiver is never a problem. Consumers, in general, often feel like they are doing something wrong when they turn the volume up as so few actually understand how gain, efficiency, and power are related.

When you turn the volume up louder on your receiver, how close are you to the maximum position? It is also important to understand that audio volume controls are not linear, they are logarithmic.

I am listening between -10 and -5 db on my Master Volume, with 0 being "reference" after I run Audyssey. My concern is that because my seating position is fairily close at 8-10 ft and we will be moving, my listening position will be 15 to 20 ft which I imagine will require me to crank it up even further.

curtis
06-16-2010, 09:26 AM
I am listening between -10 and -5 db on my Master Volume, with 0 being "reference" after I run Audyssey. My concern is that because my seating position is fairily close at 8-10 ft and we will be moving, my listening position will be 15 to 20 ft which I imagine will require me to crank it up even further.
Have you checked to see if "0" is actually "reference" with a meter and test signals?

If you like the sound quality of the speakers, run out of power(I suspect you won't), then you can look into a separate amp. Also, if you move to 15 to 20 ft...you are going to need a bigger TV too! :D

davef
06-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi Clayton,

If I might make a suggestion.... Investing in an SPL meter would be extremely worthwhile at this point. This way, you can quickly determine what levels you are actually listening at and from there, it would be easy to calculate how much power you need based on whatever distance you will be listening at.

woodsart
09-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Hi Clayton,

If I might make a suggestion.... Investing in an SPL meter would be extremely worthwhile at this point. This way, you can quickly determine what levels you are actually listening at and from there, it would be easy to calculate how much power you need based on whatever distance you will be listening at.

Hello Dave,

Glad to see another happy Sierra customer. I too am closer to my decision in purchasing a 2 channel system. And the Sierras are at the top. However, it would be great if I could audition them. Is there such a thread as Owners audition list? I live in the Richmond, Virginia area and would love to hear them before purchase.

Thanks,
Rob

And, Oh, thanks to Nuance's review which got my attention of the Sierras.

curtis
09-01-2010, 02:49 PM
We used to have a Frappr thread, but Frappr is now dead.

Try starting a new post and posting in the AVS thread.

woodsart
09-01-2010, 08:05 PM
We used to have a Frappr thread, but Frappr is now dead.

Try starting a new post and posting in the AVS thread.

Thanks, Curtis, will do!

The newly established Ascend Acoustics Audition Thread!!! Hope it is ok to do this!!!!

This was my simple suggestion in creating the thread. Just to let you guys know...I hated English :(

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19134035#post19134035